Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shipping a lowered bus on a carrier : advice
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dabomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:06 am    Post subject: Shipping a lowered bus on a carrier : advice Reply with quote

Hello everybody. Any of you shipped a lowered bus in an open transport carrier. The bus is about 4 inches to the ground..any advice ..thanks in advance ..

- would it clear the ramps?
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping a lowered bus on a carrier : advice Reply with quote

Raise it as high as you can. Even if the rear wheels tuck under. The new owner can bring it back down. Some of those loading dock and truck approach angles are rough!
SBS #00
d-rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping a lowered bus on a carrier : advice Reply with quote

all depends who shows up..most I have felt with carry some extra boards to make the approach to the trailer ramps not so steep
1967 panel/camper
1968 cig-panel *1/2
1968 passenger bus *1/2
1969 beetle
1969 dormobile
1978 sage green Westy
1990 DoKa
2002 Golf TDI
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping a lowered bus on a carrier : advice Reply with quote

I raise mine up as high as possible and put rear tires on front.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping a lowered bus on a carrier : advice Reply with quote

Even at stock height, or raised, your chances of getting your vehicle to it's destination unscathed is bad, and getting worse, in my experience.
From the 2012 Barndoor Reunion thread. Uzi and I shipped our buses from Jersey to SoCal, and on the return trip, a kind Sambanista saw our buses in Tennessee and took some photos. Uzis bus had flat tires, one was off the bead, and my Baja Barndoor truck, well, see for yourself:

j.pickens wrote:
Barndoor Mafia wrote:
Now that right there is some BBBUUULLLLSSSHHHIIITTTT!!!!!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Fuck Me...

The whole reason I've used DAS on multiple occasions is that they use their own trucks and dedicated terminals for shipping. This truck is reportedly NOT a DAS transport. Hell, we could have hired a broker to do the shipping and saved a bunch. I don't feel well right now.

And, I can't thank Widehatch enough. Your taking the time to document what is going on here is greatly appreciated.

For the gory details(scroll down a ways):

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=700

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dabomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Shipping a lowered bus on a carrier : advice Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the advice. I think i dont want to use a carrier anymore. Im planning to use a u-haul trailer transport and drive from phoenix arizona to socal..but im not familiar with the route. Is it mountainous or just straight freeway? Thank you guys..
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping a lowered bus on a carrier : advice Reply with quote

That route does not have any mountains. There is a hill near quartzite along Interstate 10.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping a lowered bus on a carrier : advice Reply with quote

Yes, no serious hills. There is some up and down that you mostly notice in a Bus.
There is a big long downhill going down into Indio toward S. CA.

It's basically a straight-shot for 6-8 hours, depending on your speed and # of stops and how much traffic once you hit S. CA.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping a lowered bus on a carrier : advice Reply with quote

dabomb wrote:
Thank you very much for the advice. I think i dont want to use a carrier anymore. Im planning to use a u-haul trailer transport and drive from phoenix arizona to socal..but im not familiar with the route. Is it mountainous or just straight freeway? Thank you guys..

Even if you move it yourself, NAES is correct in his earlier comment, raise the lowered suspension, or at least install stock tires if the lowered bus has smaller ones, which is common. Some clunky U Haul trailers can be a bitch to load lowered buses on. Long (4ft?) Sections of 2x 10s with taper cut ends might help.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: