Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1957 single cab rebuild
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffros 58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: 1957 single cab rebuild Reply with quote

Well I’m starting to mock up rear portion of the truck and getting the engine compartment tin back in shape . First off I didn’t take truck apart. So a lot of questions will be asked along the way. I need to install treasure chest floor braces so I can get C pillars in and then the floor might help me with this question . The tin with the vin numbers on it is touching Frame ! Will this get welded to frame or should there be a gap ?? No room as far as I can see to have a gap.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffros 58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 single cab rebuild Reply with quote

no help on this out there Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 single cab rebuild Reply with quote

I don't think it gets welded there.
jeffros 58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 single cab rebuild Reply with quote

New question guys. In the process of fitting up the inner rocker on truck and had purchased inners from WW . The inners don’t look like there tall enough to fit between the treasure chest floor supports and the lower pinch weld flats . Looked on the Funky Truck build and it looks like he was able to attach them the way I would think they should be . Anyone had experience with WW inners fitment? Here are a few shots of what I have going on . You can see the gap between floor supports and the top of inner rocker about 1/2” . Thanks

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 single cab rebuild Reply with quote

Have not had to deal with those red painted metal pieces, but from reports of others over the years they are for the most part junk. Not the right size and all too thin of sheet metal. Personally would dump them and get better from KFab or other suppliers.
jeffros 58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 single cab rebuild Reply with quote

the red floor supports measure right for height I am wondering about the inner rocker part from Wolfsburg west .
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 single cab rebuild Reply with quote

The red part might be the right height, but does not look the right length, or are you are saying that the length of the red parts are correct?
jeffros 58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 single cab rebuild Reply with quote

The height and length measurements are correct the gray inner rocker from WW May be too short in height from pinch weld to top .
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 single cab rebuild Reply with quote

I am wondering if the entire bed side is too low. If the inner rocker were not tall enough, I would think it would be slight at the most. What does the other side look like? Is the frame level with the inner rockers on both sides?
jeffros 58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 single cab rebuild Reply with quote

Well it’s both sides . I’m thinking it’s the inner rocker height . Anyone have how tall this should be from edge of lower where the pinch weld is to the top where it meets the B and C pillar?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 single cab rebuild Reply with quote

On our DEC62 built SC it is about 3.070" from bottom edge to the upper flat. Floor is in the way to measure more up there.
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 single cab rebuild Reply with quote

do you have any pillars welded in at the moment? if not what is keeping your upper load be rails and frame rails at the correct height from one another?
jeffros 58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 single cab rebuild Reply with quote

Went out and measured the inner rocker here is the pics .

Looks to be almost 2 3/4” in from top to bottom of channels
And 3 1/8“ ish from top to bottom . I have the bed floor supported with a 4x4 across the frame rail and a screw jack to a 4x4 “ above . Checked height at b pillar and adjusted the jack to set the height.
jeffros 58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 single cab rebuild. Help!! Reply with quote

Been reading funky truck post for a couple of days and still can not get a clear picture of how the bed side will meet up with the inner rockers reinforcement! Will the inner be even with the bed side at bottom? Where the flat vertical part of the inner and the outside skin of bed are both flat and the pinch weld?
[/img]
jeffros 58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 single cab rebuild help !! Reply with quote

Really stuck here guys . I have nothing to go by !! truck was apart when I got it . The. Treasure chest door gap is wrong also . Just temporary clamped the rocker and inner rocker to the C and B pillar then checked door fitment .looks to have a good gap at top and right side but at bottom it has a half inch gap !! Like it’s 3/8 of an inch too low . Everything is just clamped together temp . I’m pretty sure I have the heights on B&C pillar right . Any help would be great . I’ve been reading funky truck and studying all the pics there and I’m more confused now than ever Shocked

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 single cab rebuild Reply with quote

Maybe this will help.

http://vintagebus.com/howto/sc-rocker.html
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 single cab rebuild Reply with quote

I'm so confused by what is going on here, if I was local I'd come lend a hand. Does this still have the factory b pillar or any of the factory jack points still intact on either side?
jeffros 58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 single cab rebuild Reply with quote

No the factory c pillars were removed the b pillars I replaced with klassic fab parts . The wheel wells I have but we’re removed also . The engine fire wall was also removed. I have the bed leveled to frame with the dimensions off the cab back . I purchased new inner rocker full length from WW before I learned about klassic Fab . Just checking everything I could before I go and weld anything. I understand how the parts go together I think but can’t figure out this height issue of the rockers to out side skins and gap of chest door . I have the skills to do this just frustrating . Thanks jeff
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 single cab rebuild Reply with quote

Ok the area you are working on is quite simple. First, lay a straight edge across the top of all your top hats and I-beams to make sure all of them are dead flat across their entire length, and dead flat from the front top hat to the rear top hat.

if they are, then line the inner rocker up to the tops of the I-beams/top hats and this is where it supposed to go. the WW inner rockers are CORRECT.

if your quarter panels (what I think you are calling bed sides) hang too low then you either need to raise them to the correct position, or send them back to Klassicfab and get better ones.

you also need to make sure your bed supports are in the right location...

oh and klassicfab lower B pillars are notoriously wrong
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 single cab rebuild Reply with quote

I have a 63 SC in good original shape, rusty though, PM me if you want to come and look, may help? in your area.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: