Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 FI to 1979 FI
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaddhamilton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: 1973 FI to 1979 FI Reply with quote

Hey Guys. I hope someone can help me out with a question. I have a 1973 bus with a single carbed 1.7L that was taken from from a 914. I recently bought a complete 2.0(GE code) with harness and computer to swap out with the 1.7 this winter. Looking ahead, I am trying to make heads or tails of what is left in my bus FI-wise. Whoever swapped the engine before I owned it, cut some wires and god knows what else.

I have the Bentley Book, but it only covers FI from 75 and up. I know i'm missing the ballast resistor. I was wondering if someone can tell me what this plug is? Nothing on the harness from the 79 fits it. From it, there's a large gauge wire that has been cut.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Any info is appreciated.

Chadd[/img]
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 FI to 1979 FI Reply with quote

that is a vw diagnostic plug that has nothing to do with FI. I doubt your 73 had it. it was an option that early
edit-do you have the rectangular hole for the big electronics box in the right rear of the engine compartment? that would be a tell if your bus had FI.

here is where I stole the pic. a cali 73 with FI? the hole is not factory I think.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 FI to 1979 FI Reply with quote

I don't see a hole in the background of the test network plug shot.

FI was not available on a 73, it started in 75 (mid 74 on Cali automatics). That doesn't mean you can't cut a hole for the ECU and add a return line to your fuel tank, as long as you have all the FI components with the donor engine.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
JaimeH Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 FI to 1979 FI Reply with quote

A '73 would have come with dual carbs. You can still use the FI that came with the GE engine. You'll just need to source a few more parts. Without pics it's hard to tell, but I'd guess you'll need at least
Double relay & alternator wiring
Resistor pack
Air cleaner & stand
Air flow meter
S-Boot
Decel valve
Fuel tank with return line fitting
Fuel pump, filter & lines
Most of these things are available in the Samba Classifieds regularly. It's a little bit of a project, and you will be rewarded when you suceed.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 FI to 1979 FI Reply with quote

Good luck. You’ll need it.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chaddhamilton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 FI to 1979 FI Reply with quote

JimmieH wrote:
A '73 would have come with dual carbs. You can still use the FI that came with the GE engine. You'll just need to source a few more parts. Without pics it's hard to tell, but I'd guess you'll need at least
Double relay & alternator wiring
Resistor pack
Air cleaner & stand
Air flow meter
S-Boot
Decel valve
Fuel tank with return line fitting
Fuel pump, filter & lines
Most of these things are available in the Samba Classifieds regularly. It's a little bit of a project, and you will be rewarded when you suceed.

Guys, thanks for all the info.

Ok, the motor I just purchased came will all the FI stuff except the resistor pack, half and airbox(I have the top half with the meter attached). I think I have the decel valve too. I'll try to get a pic of the new lump and post it tomorrow.

A fuel pump and all the lines and stuff isn't a big deal. I will probably just T off the return instead of welding the fuel tank. I have a 68 beetle project for my son in the works, so I probably wont even start pulling this apart until winter, but at least I know what I need now and I can start looking for parts.

Again, thanks again for the info. It's much appreciated.
Chadd
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 FI to 1979 FI Reply with quote

Once again, good luck because you’ll need it. Seems to me you are going into this assuming it’s going to be easy. It won’t be. Not at all. Simple things like not having the hole for the ecu or the stand for the aurbox. The fuel return is another. Then add to it 45 year old FI parts and a harness too. Good luck
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 FI to 1979 FI Reply with quote

This is a curious proposition to me, because I have considered the same thing over the past few years. I also have a 1973 bus, but it has a relatively worn out 1.7 with a single mount progressive carb. But I have everything to convert this bus to a 2.0 hydraulic lifter engine with Sanden air conditioning and Vanagon air-cooled engine management controls. I can even upgrade the 003 automatic transmission to the 010 and maybe even change the R&P in that for a bit more highway speed but keeping the engine RPM down.

As Gary (Aeromech) notes, it will be a fair amount of work that will only see fruition with diligence and dollars... something that is far off for me.

The spare wiring harnesses I have would need refurbishment, and I will need to weld in the air cleaner bracket and also cut in the support for the ECM. These things I am tooled up to do and have a 1978 bus sitting around that I can take measurements from. And I have two spare 2.0 engines; a GE and a CV, along with the correct fuel tank and four different AFM's to choose from.

If I did not already have all this crap to trip over in my garage, I might consider otherwise. It's a bit expensive to gather up this stuff.
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 FI to 1979 FI Reply with quote

i converted my 72 bus to complete 79 fuel injection. it was a lot of work but a lot of good fun too and rewarding.

i skipped nothing and mirrored as exactly as possible the 1979 layout, components, etc, right down the bending up new metal fuel lines to match.

ahort of weling in the air cleaner stand (i bolted it) i think you couldnt tell the difference from a factory install.

take a look at my build thread, starts around page 10 i think
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 FI to 1979 FI Reply with quote

First...find out what is actually inside of your engine.

I think you stated its a 1973 1.7L taken from a 914 Porsche?

If so...it NEVER came with carbs. It came with D-jet fuel injection, different pistons with 8.2:1 compression, a totally difgerent distributor and a different cam.

So....that engine runs very well with the injecton set up from a 1.8L bus with L-jet. But...it will take some tweaks....and its compression "may" run you hot. Its torque band is a bit lkwer in the mid range than a bus.

Ray
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 FI to 1979 FI Reply with quote

It only takes four wires to hook the FI system in to an early bus.

B+
Ign
Wire from starter soleniod
Wire to fuel pump

Other than that you need to:

Mount the ECU
Mount the air cleaner
Find and install an 091 bellhousing or change out the flywheel and the engine to tranny studs
Install FI fuel pump, filter, and figure out the fuel return line
Relocate the throttle cable as needed
Other?
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 FI to 1979 FI Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
...Find and install an 091 bellhousing or change out the flywheel and the engine to tranny studs.

Relocate the throttle cable as needed.

Help me out with these... why is this necessary? He has a Type 4.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 FI to 1979 FI Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
...Find and install an 091 bellhousing or change out the flywheel and the engine to tranny studs.

Relocate the throttle cable as needed.

Help me out with these... why is this necessary? He has a Type 4.

The later 228mm clutch will not fit inside the smaller early 002 bellhousing. He will also need the starter to match the 091 bellhousing if he goes that way.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 FI to 1979 FI Reply with quote

chaddhamilton wrote:
[ I will probably just T off the return instead of welding the fuel tank.

I don't think that's gonna work. The fuel pressure regulator uses the the return line to regulate the fuel pressure. If you don't have a fuel return line for the regulator to bleed pressure to, then it seems to me you'd have an overly rich mixture all the time, perhaps significantly, as those FI fuel pumps are capable of putting out a far higher pressure than what the FI system needs/wants.

The system is dumb and has no way of knowing what the fuel pressure is; it just assumes it is correct. If the pressure is not correct, mixture will be affected.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 FI to 1979 FI Reply with quote

Here are a couple things that should help:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670338&highlight=fuel+injection

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/afc_fi_training_troubleshooting_manual.php

I swapped out dual carbs to FI a couple years ago with a huge amount of help from the Sambanistas and Asiab3.
It's not a difficult process, but not a walk in the park. Best of luck!

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 FI to 1979 FI Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
chaddhamilton wrote:
[ I will probably just T off the return instead of welding the fuel tank.

I don't think that's gonna work. The fuel pressure regulator uses the the return line to regulate the fuel pressure. If you don't have a fuel return line for the regulator to bleed pressure to, then it seems to me you'd have an overly rich mixture all the time, perhaps significantly, as those FI fuel pumps are capable of putting out a far higher pressure than what the FI system needs/wants.

The system is dumb and has no way of knowing what the fuel pressure is; it just assumes it is correct. If the pressure is not correct, mixture will be affected.

Yeah....I'm not exactly sure what he meant by "T off"......

Did he mean dead end.....like you think he did? Because ...yes.....it will result in very high/rich fuel mixture and at probably 70 plus psi everything from the iniector bodies to the pump crimp seal may leak.

Or did he mean.....T it back into the feed line at an accumulator.....which still will not work....same thing kind of.....

Or did he mean use a T and run it up to the filler neck or one of the vent hoses?....which can work fine.
Ray
chaddhamilton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 FI to 1979 FI Reply with quote

Ok, lotsa food for thought. Thanks for the tip on the bell housing. I know a yard up the road that should have one I can pull. Rustybus, i'll check your thread out.

I'm not going into project thinking it's gonna be a snap. But I am good at staying on task and debugging issues as they arise. Most importantly, I DON'T quit projects once I start them (much to my wife's chagrin). If it takes me 6 months of my evenings to get it swapped, then 6 months it is.

Thanks for all the info, guys.[/img]
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 FI to 1979 FI Reply with quote

Keep up posted, okay? It will help future Sambanistas wanting to do the same thing.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
chaddhamilton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 FI to 1979 FI Reply with quote

Here's the bus I'm working on for the last 2 years. A little before and after.
Before:

After:
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 FI to 1979 FI Reply with quote

It sounds like a lot of people who have done this swap will just "T" into the suction side of the pump and hook the return line in there.

I would recommend to the OP that he find a pump with 5/16 (8mm) OD inlets and outlets and use that over the stock pump that has different sized inlets and outlets, and then use the later style canister filter after the pump as per 1986 and later Vanagons and all other FI VW of the era.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: