Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

intermittent start
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gordo_89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: intermittent start Reply with quote

evening,

started the van the other day and the engine did not turn over. finally got to look at it today and it started on the first turn of the key, tried starting with all the lights on and nothing. so thinking the issue was the battery i took it off and charged it overnight. refitted the battery turned the key and nothing.

decided to have a look at the starter motor and shorted terminal 30 and 50 and the starter spun into action, great news it must be the ignition. jumped back into the van hoping to turn the key and noting happen but sadly it started.

1. does the starter solenoid often have intermittent issues?
2. it could still be the ignition

i had 12-13v on terminal 30 of the starter when connected to earth.

any other areas to check?
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: intermittent start Reply with quote

The symptoms you describe are consistent with a failing ignition switch. Intermittent problems on other parts of the Vanagon electrical system are hard to diagnose, but the ignition switch typically fails in exactly this way - - intermittently.

Here is a link to the procedure for removal and replacement of the ignition switch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgAxneoWejI
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: intermittent start Reply with quote

there must be a moon cycle for this problem

if the ing switch test good ,please try two different know new ones. they have a high degree of failure when new Evil or Very Mad

if that chks out next thing to look at is the halls unit wiring,and or the transponder ( bently has a procedure ) dizzy internals Idea

last but not least the coil if it is original it's time Exclamation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: intermittent start Reply with quote

Its easy to drop the lower column cover and unplug the ignition switch harness. I have made a jumper wire with spade connectors that I can start and run the van with the ignition switch bypassed. While not hard to change, it is a bit involved to remove it if you have not done a replacement before.

Using a jumper will tell you if it is infact the ignition switch or something else. To operate only the starter, there are 2 large gauge wires in the molded plug. Those are the two you cross connect to engage the starter.

Did you specify if this is a manual or automatic?
Gordo_89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: intermittent start Reply with quote

I didn't specify, its a manual so no cut off switch for neutral.

once I'd tested the power to the starter I was hoping the ignition still wouldn't work so I could try shorting the two cables to prove the ignition is the culprit.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: intermittent start Reply with quote

In a pinch you can use a paper clip for a jumper. BTDT.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: intermittent start Reply with quote

You could get your wires into place even add a pushbutton and when it won't crank, you try your pushbutton. The ignition switch is so cheap, probably less than a pushbutton starter switch.

The ignition switch as I said is not the easiest to deal with. You need to remove the steering wheel and the switch stalk needs to be unplugged. Then you remove the upper steering bearing housing and you can access the little screw that secures the switch.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: