Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First VW police speed camera van discovered in garage
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject: First VW police speed camera van discovered in garage Reply with quote

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/first-vw-police-speed-camera-van-discovered-in-garage-after-55-years
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: First VW police speed camera van discovered in garage Reply with quote

HMVWNAB wrote:
https://www.foxnews.com/auto/first-vw-police-speed-camera-van-discovered-in-garage-after-55-years

I hate getting flashed when driving there.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: First VW police speed camera van discovered in garage Reply with quote

Wonder if it sterilized his nards.
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW police speed camera van discovered in garage Reply with quote

Is the black and white old picture in the article supposed to be the same bus? If so someone is mistaken.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
don1357
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW police speed camera van discovered in garage Reply with quote

I would consider buying it if it comes with the uniform and gnarly helmet the dude is wearing on one of the pictures. That would become my official bus riding outfit.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW police speed camera van discovered in garage Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Wonder if it sterilized his nards.

Early microwave radar equipment was pretty scary.

My father was in the Navy signal corps during WWII. He luckily was saved from shipping to the Pacific theater by Harry Truman and two atomic bombs.

Anyway, during the war he was stationed to a top secret island in Galveston Bay where he was trained in the ultra classified radar secret weapon. He liked the training, as all paper and writing implements was strictly forbidden. All training was verbal, or on laminated textbooks which were all distributed and returned before and after each class.

So, the instructor had a working rotating radar antenna in the classroom. The electronics were so primitive, that the outgoing signal had to be ultra intense for the return signal to be detectable. He said that he could feel the heat from the microwaves hitting his face as the antenna rotated.

At one point, the instructor gathered the students to one side, and stopped the antenna from rotating, pointing the opposite way. He then put a hot dog on a stick and held it in front of the antenna and cooked it with the microwaves while they all looked on. Great demonstration!

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW police speed camera van discovered in garage Reply with quote

The comments on the Fox site are hilarious. What a bunch of whining silver spoon-fed babies. The dumbshitz that complain all have one thing in common- their mommies wouldn't pay their tickets for them.

That bus sure looks suspiciously like properly aged, original dove blue. If it was painted green at one time- it wasn't green long. I'd love to have that bus back on the force.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: First VW police speed camera van discovered in garage Reply with quote

don1357 wrote:
I would consider buying it if it comes with the uniform and gnarly helmet the dude is wearing on one of the pictures. That would become my official bus riding outfit.

Missed your chance:

It is now the property of VW’s commercial truck division and will be preserved as-is in its collection.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: First VW police speed camera van discovered in garage Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
My father was in the Navy signal corps during WWII....

My father was an Army Air Corp aviation mechanic stationed in England. He told me stories of how they'd rinse their greasy overalls in gasoline then throw them in the radar antenna to quick dry.

Obviously yours and my dad didn't get sterilized. He did mention how their arms and head got hot.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW police speed camera van discovered in garage Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
j.pickens wrote:
My father was in the Navy signal corps during WWII....

My father was an Army Air Corp aviation mechanic stationed in England. He told me stories of how they'd rinse their greasy overalls in gasoline then throw them in the radar antenna to quick dry.

Obviously yours and my dad didn't get sterilized. He did mention how their arms and head got hot.

Dad contracted polio after the war, but he did have six kids, so not sterile, thank heavens.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW police speed camera van discovered in garage Reply with quote

Another online article, thanks to Jan for the information:
https://www.kfz-betrieb.vogel.de/scheunenfund-erster-blitzer-bulli-kommt-ins-museum-a-799559/
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: First VW police speed camera van discovered in garage Reply with quote

Such a hideous device.

Bug On!

ps my Dads 63 Microbus was likely the first microwave oven equiped vw to pass thru the northern most border crossing between Alaska and Yukon back in about 1973. The border guard had never seen a microwave oven before that. Mom nuked him some apple sauce as a demo. ran off a 110 volt alternator running off the crank pulley.

back then most folks did not own a microwave at home, much less one in a VW.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW police speed camera van discovered in garage Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OvalinAz
Samba Mini Tech

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW police speed camera van discovered in garage Reply with quote

MrPolak wrote:

13 window barndoor!
12/62 French 11 Window Bus

EverettB wrote:
chromies should be outlawed and thrown in the trash

Pandraggers C.C.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW police speed camera van discovered in garage Reply with quote

EmpiGT wrote:
Is the black and white old picture in the article supposed to be the same bus? If so someone is mistaken.

Different front cargo door, at least, yeah? And different radar control console too (not to mention the chair, although a period-correct replacement).
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW police speed camera van discovered in garage Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
EmpiGT wrote:

Different front cargo door, at least, yeah? And different radar control console too (not to mention the chair, although a period-correct replacement).

The one old photo has a non barndoor engine lid and low tail lights and looks to have the lower part of the later narrow hatch.
The picture above also has later doors and what appears to be 1960 only cargo for hinges with the holes drilled for cargo door hinge wedges. That would match up to the low tail lights and engine lid. 2 different busses all together.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW police speed camera van discovered in garage Reply with quote

EmpiGT wrote:
Busstom wrote:
EmpiGT wrote:

The one old photo has a non barndoor engine lid and low tail lights and looks to have the lower part of the later narrow hatch.
The picture above also has later doors and what appears to be 1960 only cargo for hinges with the holes drilled for cargo door hinge wedges. That would match up to the low tail lights and engine lid. 2 different busses all together.

I see now...I guess I should've opened the links and looked at the other pics Embarassed Wink
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: First VW police speed camera van discovered in garage Reply with quote

OvalinAz wrote:
MrPolak wrote:

Some smartarse had a sense of humour when they issued that registration plate. Orwell anyone?

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: