Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electrical nightmare
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCockrill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical nightmare Reply with quote

Pulled the electrical ignition switch today once the new part came in. Looks to be a problem as you can tell in the second photo.

Will be placing the new switch and let you know what the outcome is of this.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

JCockrill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical nightmare Reply with quote

Put in the new switch and still not starting. It sounded like it wanted to just 1 time for a half a second but that was it.

It did blow fuses for the horn and master cylinder (see wiring diagram - first from left) and fuse for headlight switch (see diagram - second from left)

I disconnected most everything and tried again with no positive results.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical nightmare Reply with quote

Need LOTS more info- what switch did you buy, how did you connect it to the wire harness you have, etc...?
Did you blow those fuses when you turned the key?? This would indicate a short to ground in that wire path, as if turning the key somehow grounded that circuit. The only way I could see that happening is connecting the switch wrong.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
JCockrill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical nightmare Reply with quote

SB, I get we need more info I just didn't have it. The post was just to let everyone know the switch did not solve the problem. I put the switch in and it didn't work. I do not know when the fuses blew. I am going to trouble shoot a little this morning and have more info for a follow up. I am about ready to set the entire thing on fire.
JCockrill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical nightmare Reply with quote

So here are some results of testing with the new switch in.

Switch is from cip1 and is the VWC-111-905-865-LGR. Yes I know the switch has some plastic that doesn't fit on my column. I trimmed off the two tabs to fit. Matched the seat to the pin slid in. Secured with the set screw.

The wiring diagram is posted on the first page and lined up the connections as shown there.
Ignition coil to 15
12v to 30
Starter to 50
ACC to X

Volt to #30 is 12.61
Volt #15 is zero or close to. I tried with both wires.
Volt to #50 while attempting to start its 10.77 (figuring low is due to high load during starting)

Checked idle cut off valve at carb. Pulled wire. Ignition on run but not start and touched wire to lead. Idle valve did click.

Some reason I am not getting the ignition electrical switch to work even on the new one.

I then hot wired the car. Ran direct power to the #15 coil wire. Checked at coil and was getting 12v. Pulled center white from distributor and was getting a spark when starting and grounded. Plugged back in and pulled spark plug #1. During starting and grounded I was getting a spark.

Checked distributor orientation with valve covers off to make sure it was timed right and not off 180 degrees. Confirmed the orientation.

Still not getting it to run.

During turn over I am getting fuel as I can smell it after a few started. Pulled top of cerb and reservoir is full.

Next step?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical nightmare Reply with quote

JCockrill wrote:
Switch is from cip1 and is the VWC-111-905-865-LGR. Yes I know the switch has some plastic that doesn't fit on my column. I trimmed off the two tabs to fit. Matched the seat to the pin slid in. Secured with the set screw.

Your old switch is the '72-'73 ignition switch. You are forcing a '74-later switch into your housing. Can you just order the correct switch?

JCockrill wrote:
The wiring diagram is posted on the first page and lined up the connections as shown there.
Ignition coil to 15
12v to 30
Starter to 50
ACC to X

Volt to #30 is 12.61
Volt #15 is zero or close to. I tried with both wires.

So you brand new switch is already bad? Zero volts on #15 in ANY position other than OFF????

Remove all wires from just the #15 and redo your test. You should have 12v coming out #15 when you turn the key to ON/RUN. When you turn to START there should STILL be 12v on #15.

I'm suggesting this test with the wires removed because if one of the #15 wires is shorted to ground, it could be the reason you are blowing fuses AND why you are not getting a voltage reading. By disconnecting the wires the ONLY path for the current out of #15 is THRU your VM. Simple test.

In fact you could remove ALL wires except for #30 from the new switch. Test for the following:
    #15 = 0v in OFF. 12v in ON/RUN. 12v in START.
    #X = 0v in OFF. 12v in ON/RUN. 0v in START.
    #50 = 0v in OFF. 0v in ON/RUN. 12v in START.

'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
JCockrill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical nightmare Reply with quote

Shooting the test now and keeping hopeful this is the issue. Writing as I do the test so here goes....

All wires removed from the ignition switch except for 30 of course to keep power to the switch

Power into 30 is 13.3V. Just took it off charge.

#15 = 0v in OFF. - yes. Near zero
12v in ON/RUN. Yes. 13.3V
12v in START. Yes. 13.3V

#X = 0v in OFF. Yes. Near zero
0v in START. Yes. Near zero.

#50 = 0v in OFF. Yes. Near zero
0v in ON/RUN. Yes. Near zero
12v in START. Yes. 13.3

I have a new switch for a 73 I am picking up tomorrow to have the right one.

I have done this with 3 different wires. The original harness I installed 3 years ago. A new 16 gauge wire I have run. Also a 16 gauge external wire. I can rotate through to see which is working if that is something that would be helpful.

Wondering if it is a compounded problem with mixture being wrong or choke not working due to a fried switch at carb.
JCockrill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical nightmare Reply with quote

For the first time in 2+ weeks I got a it to spark and run if just for a few seconds! I used a pole to hammer down the gas pedal and also ran a now 4th test wire from #15 on ignition electrical switch to the #15 positive on the coil. On the 3rd try I got it running but as soon as I let off the gas pedal it died. I am guessing the choke switch is dead on the carb? Could a bad #15 wire also explain why the fuses #1 and #2 are blowing when turning on the car to run (not even getting to start)?

I have to say I know the problems are not solved by any means but I am really f%$&*>g happy to hear that engine if just for a few seconds!! I have been losing my mind and I'm sure the wife has found me a pain to deal with these past few weeks so far!
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical nightmare Reply with quote

Based on the wiring diagram you posted earlier, please confirm what color coded wire do you have running from #15 on the ignition switch back to the ignition coil?
And what color do you have running from #50 on the switch back to the starter?

I ask because I see at least one discrepancy on two separate parts of the wiring diagram (although I don't think it would explain the issue, I'll get to that in a second):

In this diagram:

it shows the 12-black wire as the starter wire, running from #50 on the ignition switch back to the starter.

But in this diagram:

It shows this wire as 12-black/blue. I just want to be sure that you do indeed have #50 wire from the ignition switch going to the starter!

As for your issue blowing fuses I still think that has something to do with shorting the wire coming off the #15 (run) position on the switch shorting. HOWEVER, the fact that this terminal also leads out to the ignition coil makes me wonder if it's something back around your coil area. Detach EVERYTHING from the coil except for the lead coming in from the ignition switch (on #15 terminal) and the green condenser wire on negative (#1) terminal. This includes the wire over to the choke (for this quick test purpose shouldn't be necessary), the wire for the reverse light switch, and the tach wire connected to the #1 terminal (this is the one I m especially interested in disconnecting.) Then try starting the car again and see what happens.

1600 SP engine
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical nightmare Reply with quote

JCockrill wrote:
Power into 30 is 13.3V. Just took it off charge.

#15 = 0v in OFF. - yes. Near zero
12v in START. Yes. 13.3V

#X = 0v in OFF. Yes. Near zero
0v in START. Yes. Near zero.

#50 = 0v in OFF. Yes. Near zero
0v in ON/RUN. Yes. Near zero
12v in START. Yes. 13.3

Awesome! So your ignition switch is working as expected.

JCockrill wrote:
I have a new switch for a 73 I am picking up tomorrow to have the right one.

That is the best fit.

JCockrill wrote:
Wondering if it is a compounded problem with mixture being wrong or choke not working due to a fried switch at carb.

If you have your bypass and volume screws at least 2-turns out from fully seated, that should be enough to get the engine idling.
There needs to be 12v at the idle cutoff solenoid and it needs to be working or the carb will never idle on its own.

Now that your ignition switch is working here's what I suggest:
    According to the above wiring diagrams there is a white 10AWG wire from the starter that runs to the #30 terminal on the ignition switch before ending at the #1 and #2 fuses. Disconnect this wire at the fuse box and wrap the exposed end in a towel/rag so it cannot touch ground. No your ignition switch is the ONLY thing powered from the starter/battery.

Find the blue/black wires that run from the ignition switch #15 to the #3 fuse and to the speedometer (fuel gauge?). Disconnect BOTH of these wires and wrap so they do not ground by accident. This leaves just the single blue/black 16AWG wire that runs to the ignition coil.

Disconnect the last blue/black wire that runs between the ignition switch and the ignition coil at both ends. Make sure the loose ends are not touching anything. Use your multimeter and test this wire for resistance to ground. Since it is disconnected it should show INFINITE resistance.
    Now, intentionally ground the engine end of the wire and from the other end test that there is ZERO resistance to ground. This test confirms the harness wiring is not shorted to ground and that it is a good conductor.

If the above test passes, reconnect the wire at the ignition switch.

Remove all wires from the ignition coil. With your MM test the resistance between the two small terminals of the ignition coil. It should show 3~4ohms of resistance between the two terminals for a stock compatible coil. If this is the reading you get, reconnect the blue/black wire to the #15 (+) terminal.

Turn the ignition switch ON. Immediately feel/touch the white wire and blue/black wires at the ignition switch. Are either getting warm? If either are, turn the ignition OFF immediately and confirm they quickly cool down.
    If they remain cool, continue.

Take your VM to the engine. Test the blue/black wire at the #15 (+) terminal of the coil. This should have basically the same voltage reading as the battery.
    Test the voltage at the #1 terminal of the coil. It should read basically the SAME voltage as the #15 terminal.

With the ignition switch still ON, touch the idle cutoff solenoid wire to the #15 terminal. Listen for the solenoid to click. Remove the wire and it should click again. This indicates the solenoid is working.
    Leave your choke disconnected for now.

Reconnect the green wire from the distributor to the #1 terminal of the ignition coil. Remove the distributor cap and rotor. Manually rotate the crank pulley until the points are clearly closed. Remove the center HT wire from the distributor cap. Reconnect one end to the center post of the ignition coil. Hold the loose conductive tip of this coil wire close to one of the distributor cap clips (ground).

Using a plastic or wood "stick", push on the arm of the points so the contacts OPEN. You should see a spark jump from the end of the HT wire to ground. Allow the arm to spring CLOSED and reset. Each time you OPEN the points a blue/white spark should jump from the end of the wire.

Have a helper crank the engine while you watch the HT wire. Do you see multiple blue/white sparks jumping to ground?? If NOT, test the voltage on the #15 terminal WHILE the engine is cranking.

If all of this goes as described then your ignition switch and ignition coil circuit are working as designed. Now the hard part... another wire that was disconnected is probably shorted to ground. Take you MM and test each loose wire and look for a VERY low resistance to ground down one of the circuits. When you find this, disconnect all devices from the circuit and test again. If everything is disconnected and there is still a low resistance path to ground you have a shorted wire. Reconnect each devices to the circuit one at a time and monitor the resistance. Anything that causes the resistance to drop to <1.5ohms will cause an 8A fuse to blow. Good luck!
JCockrill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical nightmare Reply with quote

Going to work some more tomorrow to trouble shoot but wanted to answer some of the easy questions.

SB - the 15 wire to the ignition switch was blue and black
The 50 wire to the ignition switch for starter was a heavy gauge light blue and black
The 30 wire to the ignition switch was white
ACC to X wire was black

At the starter is was a double white wire , a light blue and black wire, and the battery wire in of course.

At the ignition coil it is a blue and black to #15 positive
A purple wire for tach to positive
Black wire to positive for transmission
Green wire to negative for distributor condenser
A wire split into two from positive side and both are for the distributor
And of course the center wire for distributor

I have not been running the tach in a few weeks. It has been disconnected for most of these tests. Only have the choke wires x2, the condenser green wire, and the coil 15 in.

Have it running on the external test wire right now for coil 15 until I narrow the issue. For this purpose it is yellow and black. Figured that doesnt match anything else so I cannot confuse it.

Ashman,
I did get the new ignition switch. 1973 set up. Figure I will switch after we narrow the issue instead of introducing it right now?

I am going to print the test list tonight and hopefully get to it tomorrow.

I cannot thank everyone enough for their help on this so far.
JCockrill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical nightmare Reply with quote

Ashman and SB

Here is the test. Writing as I run down both lists.

Ashman
I disconnected the white wire into fuses #1 & #2 and wrapped them in a shop towel. Next I...

SB
I disconnected everything from coil except main center wire to distributor, green condenser wire to coil negative, and #15 to coil. At ignition it was only starter, coil 15 and 30 power in. Attempted a start and it fired. Of course died shortly thereafter as no choke. I will get back to the fuses at the end. Next...

Back to Ashman for the next 13 steps.

Ashman,
I have a battery disconnect so using that to cut and start power so it is a clean break.

Fuses still disconnect at #1 & #2

Disconnected fuse #3 and disconnected the speedo black and black wire and have it away from other wires or grounds. That was not an easy wire to get to with my setup!

Disconnected #15 at coil and switch. Test ohms and had 00.3 to 00.7. Tested a completely separate wire from a box I have and that 1 foot of wire was coming up as 00.3. I am thinking this resistance check is good for blue and black with no connections.

Grounding the blue black at the engine and testing the negative to the disconnected blue black at ignition switch and getting a reading of 2.5 to 3.0.

I know you said zero so I did the same test again with the 2nd internal wire I retain about two weeks ago. Grounded at engine and the tested disconnected switch side to ground and came up with same results. Between 2.5 and 3.1. Resistance being the length of the wire I am assuming and not a grounded wire midstream?

Coil completely disconnected. Testing two small screws. The negative and positive. Resistance it 3.7 to 4.0. Hovering right at 4.0.

To tell you the truth on the next it is cold out here and couldn't tell much. It felt like the blue black wire connector at the ignition switch did get warm. Turned power back off. Felt cooler after turning off power.

Tested battery voltage and came out at 12.68

Power on. Ignition switch on.

Power at blue black at engine is 12.6

Power at coil positive post is 12.6

Choke disconnected and solenoid disconnected. Wire to coil and touched to the solenoid wire and did hear a click each time I touched it. Left it connected.

Maybe I am not doing the next test correctly because I could not get results. Pulled center wire from distributor. Pulled distributor cap. Made sure engine was lined up at TDC for cylinder #1. Had a plastic stake on the arm under the cap. Points were touching. Turned car ignition switch to on. When manipulating the arm under the cap so the points would touch/not touch while holding the center wire (while connected to the coil on other end) above a ground (the distributor latch or distributor case) I could not get sparks. I tried both distributors. The 009 and the vacuum advance.

I tested voltage at 15 at coil, coil pin positive, and center of coil during switch on and always got 11.58 which is what my battery is at now.

Tried to start with the 009 in. Made sure I was on the right timing and valve covers back on.
Cant get it to start now.

Could both condensers be bad now? Felt like I took steps back here. Green wire to negative. Coil 15 to switch and positive on coil. Choke and solenoid on positive coil.

Now my multimeter has crapped out. Going to run to the store and get another. First test back I figure will be positive coil at 15 to negative on condenser at distributor under the cap to see if I have a transfer through the condenser?
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical nightmare Reply with quote

JCockrill wrote:

Disconnected #15 at coil and switch. Test ohms and had 00.3 to 00.7. Tested a completely separate wire from a box I have and that 1 foot of wire was coming up as 00.3. I am thinking this resistance check is good for blue and black with no connections.

Grounding the blue black at the engine and testing the negative to the disconnected blue black at ignition switch and getting a reading of 2.5 to 3.0.

I would like to focus on this test for a second as your results do not sound right.
Please do me a favor- I want you to disconnect both ends of this blue/ black wire again. Make sure neither end of the wire is touching anything. Now connect another length of wire onto one end of this blue black wire and run it back toward the other end. (This is just to "extend" the blue/ black wire to where your multimeter's probe leads can reach each end.)

Set your multimeter to resistance (ohms.) Put one probe of your meter on the open end of the blue/ black wire and the other probe on the end of the additional wire you just ran back. This should read ZERO resistance or very close to it. Please let us know what you find.

1600 SP engine
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical nightmare Reply with quote

JCockrill wrote:

At this point the blue/black wire is disconnected at both ends. It should be the same as a loose length of wire. With your meter set to read ohms and one probe on one end of the wire and the other to ground there should be NO continuity between the two probes. You should be getting an infinite resistance reading. You are getting a very low resistance reading. Something is WRONG. Your meter is set wrong or your have a short in the blue/black wire which is grounding it.
You mentioned running a jumper wire to bring power to the coil #15. Do the same test on this wire. Disconnect both ends. Test the front end the same way. Do you get the same or different reading.

JCockrill wrote:

I know you said zero so I did the same test again with the 2nd internal wire I retain about two weeks ago. Grounded at engine and the tested disconnected switch side to ground and came up with same results. Between 2.5 and 3.1. Resistance being the length of the wire I am assuming and not a grounded wire midstream?

Here you ground the engine end of the wire. So now the blue/black wire is grounded. You place the meter between the front end of the wire and a good ground. There should be little to no difference in the ground resistance between the ground point up front and the ground at the engine. This should show up as near zero resistance. Your reading of 2.5 to 3.1 is rather high. Again, you have a problem or are using the meter wrong. A reading of 2.5ohms suggests high resistance in the wire or high resistance in the ground path back to the body/battery.
Again use your test jumper wire as a parallel test. Measure the resistance in the wire by placing the ohm meter on both ends of the wire. This reading tells you the real resistance from JUST the wire. It should be zero. Now ground one end to the engine and test the other end up front with one probe on the front end of the wire and the other to a good chassis ground. A higher resistance reading here is additional resistance in the ground path. Rusty connections and years of dirt could have increase the resistance in the ground path. Check the connections at the transmission ground strap and any body ground connections.

JCockrill wrote:
Coil completely disconnected. Testing two small screws. The negative and positive. Resistance it 3.7 to 4.0. Hovering right at 4.0.

This is a good sign your coil is good. At least it has the correct internal ballast resistance.

JCockrill wrote:
To tell you the truth on the next it is cold out here and couldn't tell much. It felt like the blue black wire connector at the ignition switch did get warm. Turned power back off. Felt cooler after turning off power.

In the steps I wrote above THIS test is conducted with ONLY the coil connected to the ignition switch and nothing else connected to the coil. The only wire at the coil is the blue/black wire connected to #15.
When you turn the ignition switch ON, there should be NO path to ground. The wires should NOT be getting warm. Warm is an indication there is a short to ground.
From your above measurements and this test it really sounds like you have a short somewhere in the blue/black wire running from the ignition switch to the ignition coil. You may want to just run a new wire of the same gauge. Otherwise trace the wire and find where it is grounding. According to your wiring diagram there is no junction between the ignition switch and the coil. This means there could be a cut in the wire somewhere along the way.

JCockrill wrote:
Tested battery voltage and came out at 12.68

Power on. Ignition switch on.

Power at blue black at engine is 12.6

Power at coil positive post is 12.6

Battery is good.

JCockrill wrote:
Choke disconnected and solenoid disconnected. Wire to coil and touched to the solenoid wire and did hear a click each time I touched it. Left it connected.

Sounds like your idle solenoid is good. I recommend you disconnect the choke wire at the choke and wrap it so it doesn't ground out. At least until every thing is running normally. You don't need the choke to get the engine running.

JCockrill wrote:
Maybe I am not doing the next test correctly because I could not get results. Pulled center wire from distributor. Pulled distributor cap. Made sure engine was lined up at TDC for cylinder #1. Had a plastic stake on the arm under the cap. Points were touching. Turned car ignition switch to on. When manipulating the arm under the cap so the points would touch/not touch while holding the center wire (while connected to the coil on other end) above a ground (the distributor latch or distributor case) I could not get sparks.

At this point in the testing you should have reconnected the green wire from the distributor to the coil #1 (-) terminal. If you skipped this step the above test will fail. The points serve to ground the #1 terminal when they are CLOSED.

JCockrill wrote:
I tested voltage at 15 at coil, coil pin positive, and center of coil during switch on and always got 11.58 which is what my battery is at now.

?? Placing your voltmeter between the #15 (+) terminal and the center post of the ignition coil.... what for? There is no recommended voltage reading for this test.

JCockrill wrote:
Tried to start with the 009 in. Made sure I was on the right timing and valve covers back on.
Cant get it to start now.

Could both condensers be bad now? Felt like I took steps back here. Green wire to negative. Coil 15 to switch and positive on coil. Choke and solenoid on positive coil.

Now my multimeter has crapped out. Going to run to the store and get another. First test back I figure will be positive coil at 15 to negative on condenser at distributor under the cap to see if I have a transfer through the condenser?

Redo the test with manually opening/closing the points. There needs to be power to the ignition coil #15 terminal. The points/condenser wire needs to be connected to the #1 (-) terminal. The center post HT wire held near ground. Remove all other wires. Rotate the crank until the points are CLOSED. This provides a path to ground for the ignition coil and build a charge. When the point contacts are opened the primary field is collapsed and it forces the secondary field in the coil it to discharge a high voltage spark. This should jump from the HT wire to ground. If you cannot get this to work as described your ignition will not function.
If the above does not work, remove the condenser from the body of the distributor and wrap it in a rag to isolate it. The coil should still fire without the condenser but may have a much smaller spark. If the coil does not spark while the condenser is grounded but does when disconnected it suggests the condenser is bad.
The points are a simple movement activated switch. The body of the points which are screwed down to the plate in the distributor is one side of the switch. The wire running to the condenser is the other side. When the points are OPEN the two are disconnected (the wire is NOT grounded). Test with your ohm meter that when the points are OPEN the wire is NOT grounded and when the points are CLOSED the wire is grounded. If the point wire is always grounded then they never open and trigger a spark. This would be a bad set of points.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: