Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Greg's Propex HS2211 Install
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Greg's Propex HS2211 Install Reply with quote

jsalkeld wrote:
Hi WTGPhoben
I like your ductwork and am just about committed to the same install. One side note I don't understand:
When you say. "Putting the propex here required me to cut 3/4" out of the mounting flange on the inside to accommodate where the seat rail mounts come through the floor.". I'm not picturing that. Can you detail that further or post a pic?
Thanks

I agree, WTGPhoben's install is very well thought out, and crafted nicely too. I wish I saw his install before I did mine. Wink

Maybe he's referring to the trimmed blue flange laying on the floor in this photo.

WTGPhoben wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
jsalkeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Greg's Propex HS2211 Install Reply with quote

I'm just about there and wondering who has details on the rubber used to cover the hose. I know I've sen this somewhere before but drawing a blank. Any description, manufacturer, specs, details appreciated.

85 Doka WIP
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Greg's Propex HS2211 Install Reply with quote

jsalkeld wrote:
I'm just about there and wondering who has details on the rubber used to cover the hose. I know I've sen this somewhere before but drawing a blank. Any description, manufacturer, specs, details appreciated.

That's just generic foam pipe wrap if I recall correctly. I also sell a thinsulate-like tubular wrap for the ducting that is a Webasto product.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jsalkeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Greg's Propex HS2211 Install Reply with quote

Thanks Karl, that helps.

I also noted your comment about the external temperature of the box not being excessive that it would allow for a protective coating. I am planning a coat or two of POR15. This should help protect and preserve without detriment I hope.

Thanks
85 Doka WIP
willieyac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Greg's Propex HS2211 Install Reply with quote

WTGPhoben can you explain how you mounted the Propex to the body on the drivers side. Photos would help also. Thanks

WTGPhoben wrote:
westyventures wrote:
WTGPhoben wrote:

As mistakes go that one is easy to fix... Is the issue due to differential pressure during high winds? I was able to generate the fault code but only by pointing a shop vac exhaust transverse across the openings to simulate a small hurricane. Works fine otherwise.

The length is required for smooth airflow into the burner. The sensor detects instability in flame and airflow. While it may work now, don't depend on it at changing altitudes.

Update to the intake looks like this. Used screw hole for front mud flap to mount the clamp. Field testing good so far:

Phishy76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Greg's Propex HS2211 Install Reply with quote

Here's some pics of my HS2211 install. Got some great ideas from this thread and others. Overall very happy with results and not sure I'd do much different. Would still like to add some sort of skid plate to wrap it up.

Here's view of gas supply connection, I used heaving duty shrink tubing on the 1/4" gas line to protect it and ran through the floor corrugations to the propane tank.

View of the intake and exhaust flues, I didn't cut the tubing on the heater as other have done, but did insert the flues before screwing in the heater, there's plenty of room.

View of intake flue looking towards front of van, yes there is a low spot on flue which is not recommended, but I made sure was below heater so moisture, if any, would not run into heater, I choose this so any road splash moisture would be blocked by frame cross member.

View of exhaust flue going through jack slot, I like this better than strapping next to the jack slot and secured it with zip ties that I can cut to move flue out of way if I need to use the jack.

Views of the ducting and control wires going into van. I used grommets recommended by Karl at Westy Ventures for a nice water tight seal, also grommets on control wires. I insulated the ducting with pre-foil wrapped pipe insulation. I think will hold up to moisture and road grime just fine.

View of heater assembly installed and clearance.

I decided to install a new propane tank as mine is 31 years old and have had issues with the auto stop fill valve getting stuck open (a known issue), plus the extra .5gal of propane is a welcome addition.

View of the propane tank output connections on regulator. I had to shorten the fridge and stove lines about two inches, this requires reflaring the ends, easy peasy. You can see Propex line coming out top of 4-way.

View looking down towards rear, as you can see the tank and other items actually sit lower. This van has a lift and 16" tires, so it's all pretty high. Still, I'd like to add some sort of skid plate or shield, especially to keep anything from hitting propane line.

View of heat output vent, pretty standard stuff here...

I made a box as others here have to avoid crossing the intake and exhaust ducts, wish I had taken photos before closing all up, but basically I left intake vertical and put a sweep on the exhaust so it exists out the front of the bench.

I drilled holes in back of box and also installed the intake on side as others have. I drilled the holes in the box in the event that the side intake has something up against it restricting airflow. I tend to keep newspaper and other kindling in this slot.

And finally, the real reason for installing this guy outside is this valuable storage space is only slightly reduced and I get to keep my stock rear heater!
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Greg's Propex HS2211 Install Reply with quote

Very nice install! Seems to be the way to go with these units. I won't post a bunch of photos because they'd look the same, but will post these two of the outside. Fits like a glove, and also bought a guard from a guy on here that was willing to make a couple extra. Welded from stock aluminum, I added the plastic stoppers to keep crap out of the square stock. Perfect fit, and am very sure nothing is going to harm the Propex!

gtoews
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Greg's Propex HS2211 Install Reply with quote

here's a few more recent enhancements to fight very cold weather.

These photos show a tin box I created to insulate the external ducting. I injected spray foam. I did not crush the hoses with the foam.

Looks better after I trimmed the foam

Here is a way to connect a length of three inch aluminum flex to the output vent. Useful for redirecting the heat up top or around the bottom bed towards the back or even preheating a sleeping bag.

gtoews
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Greg's Propex HS2211 Install Reply with quote

I used gopro thumb screws and t-nuts that push in from the back. Gopro uses 10-32 hardware.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Greg's Propex HS2211 Install Reply with quote

I'm fairly sure that spray foam isn't going to take 300 degree exhaust temperature very well. Also, how to you plan to access the reset button if needed to clear a fault?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gtoews
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Greg's Propex HS2211 Install Reply with quote

well sir, I didn't think of either of those points Smile

Since you've brought them up, here are my thoughts:

1.) spray foam likely didn't come in contact with with exhaust, at least not where it would have make a difference. Been using the furnace successfully without even a smell of heated insulation. Perhaps I got lucky. Regardless, at worse I'd expect some off gassing, and perhaps a little smoke until pipe was cleared of residue.

2.) didn't realize there was a reset button on the unit. My error codes have been rare and mostly no fuel or low voltage issues that self correct if I recall. Otherwise I assume a good old fashion power cycle would be the same as pushing a reset button. I'm probably wrong.

Could you explain the conditions that would require physical access to a reset button that could not be corrected by knob turn sequences or complete power interruption? Perhaps I'll have to drill in an access port.

I should mention that prior to building the enclosure, I had all wires and ducts wrapped anyway. I figured this would facilitate undoing the spray insulation. This doesn't include the intake and exhaust but I wasn't really concerned with insulating them as much as the main fresh air ducts.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Greg's Propex HS2211 Install Reply with quote

gtoews wrote:
well sir, I didn't think of either of those points Smile

Since you've brought them up, here are my thoughts:

1.) spray foam likely didn't come in contact with with exhaust, at least not where it would have make a difference. Been using the furnace successfully without even a smell of heated insulation. Perhaps I got lucky. Regardless, at worse I'd expect some off gassing, and perhaps a little smoke until pipe was cleared of residue.

2.) didn't realize there was a reset button on the unit. My error codes have been rare and mostly no fuel or low voltage issues that self correct if I recall. Otherwise I assume a good old fashion power cycle would be the same as pushing a reset button. I'm probably wrong.

Could you explain the conditions that would require physical access to a reset button that could not be corrected by knob turn sequences or complete power interruption? Perhaps I'll have to drill in an access port.

I should mention that prior to building the enclosure, I had all wires and ducts wrapped anyway. I figured this would facilitate undoing the spray insulation. This doesn't include the intake and exhaust but I wasn't really concerned with insulating them as much as the main fresh air ducts.

The first and third photos show foam on the exhaust and looks like it's routed inside the box and back out?
Depending how old the unit is it may not have the reset button. It would be located directly above the wiring connection on the heater. If the heater ever has a double fault it will give a solid red, and from experience sometimes the thermostat knob sequence doesn't clear that. The manufacturer has changed the PCB twice since then. But if it clears you're good there.
The foam IMO is overkill, you already had good insulation and just the sheetmetal would have been fine.
gtoews
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Greg's Propex HS2211 Install Reply with quote

I'm not sure exactly what vintage my hs2211 is but it's sure been a trouble free beauty. Surely the best thing I've ever bolted to my van.

That said, shortly after I sealed it up as it is now, I started to smell propane (I'm lucky like that). I quickly found a small leak at the 90 degree joint which I dealt with using yellow teflon tape but I still smelled gas occasionally. It's been a while since I've smelled any gas, and there isn't enough leaking to burn openly for the purpose of locating nor is there enough to be detected by the propane detector I have. I hope it isn't leaking internally.

Regarding whether the foam is necessary, I think so, in fact it's the entire reason I created the enclosure. I wish I had some better experimental data to go on. Be nice to see the output temperature delta, with and without insulation enclosure under the same conditions.

I sometime winter camp at trailheads in british columbia, less frequently in alberta, but on a clear night -30C is a reality, I've camped at -40C in Banff, Woke to a green slurpee of escaped coolant under the engine.

You're a great resource to us all Karl, thanks for your continued support. Like I say, the Propex is the one of the least problematic devices I've ever bolted to the van. When considering the effort/expense vs pleasure/comfort ratio, nothing beats it.
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Greg's Propex HS2211 Install Reply with quote

just wond'rin ... do most/any/all of you remove your rear heater when installing the propex.

just ordered the 2211 and gettin' fired up for some winter campin'. could use the space 'neath the bench by removing.

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
DeLvxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Greg's Propex HS2211 Install Reply with quote

I kept mine. It is very handy for normal driving. Thought about removing it, but glad I didn't.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Greg's Propex HS2211 Install Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
I'm fairly sure that spray foam isn't going to take 300 degree exhaust temperature very well. Also, how to you plan to access the reset button if needed to clear a fault?

Karl, should I expect 300 degree heat out of my 2211? The best I've seen is 185 - 195 after adjusting the water column to 11".

175*F - 185*F on three different thermometers. I measured about 195* F directly out of the vent at the furnace.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Greg's Propex HS2211 Install Reply with quote

Exhaust can reach 300 degrees. 190-200 heat output is normal.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Greg's Propex HS2211 Install Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
Exhaust can reach 300 degrees. 190-200 heat output is normal.

Got it. Thank you.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: