Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Violent Engine Shake
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hugo Stiglitz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Violent Engine Shake Reply with quote

Hey All,

Trying to find the source of this issue. See the video below. Under power, I am getting a pretty violent shaking from the engine and trans. Since the video was taken I've dropped the engine and trans out of the car. Everything seems to checkout with the engine: flywheel isn't loose, clutch and pressure plate seem in order, and the gland nut is in tact.

The trans was recently run through and upgraded with HD axles (I snapped an axle a few weeks back). I put it back in the car, and not 500 miles later I'm getting this violent shaking. So logic seems to be leading to the trans being the issue... However, I currently have it at the shop who did the work, they've got the axles and diff pulled apart and they're saying they don't see anything wrong... (yet - he's gonna keep digging)

That feedback left me a little puzzled, so I figured I'd post up here. Any thoughts on what might be causing the shaking?

Link

Jay Leno's Garage

(o\ ! /o) | o \/ o | (o)=|=(o) [o\|_|_|/o]
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Violent Engine Shake Reply with quote

How are the transaxle mounts?
Hugo Stiglitz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Violent Engine Shake Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
How are the transaxle mounts?

“Brand new” HD mounts from Berg.

Jay Leno's Garage

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Violent Engine Shake Reply with quote

Clutch/pressure plate slipping or shuddering maybe?

Does this happen in a specific gear? Maybe you have a gear slipping on its shaft.

A long shot and not likely, but how are the splines in the rear drums?
Hugo Stiglitz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Violent Engine Shake Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Clutch/pressure plate slipping or shuddering maybe?

Does this happen in a specific gear? Maybe you have a gear slipping on its shaft.

A long shot and not likely, but how are the splines in the rear drums?

It happens in 1-3 for sure. I pulled over and shut it down pretty quick after the vid was shot.

Splines are good. It’s got discs in the rear, but I checked those first. All was solid there.

I’m gonna pull clutch and pressure plate off tomorrow for a closer look.

Jay Leno's Garage

FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Violent Engine Shake Reply with quote

if the engine is solidly bolted to the transmission, that means the whole engine/trans is jumping around as a unit.

Are the frame horns and chassis OK? And the rubber bushings which hold the spring plates?
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Violent Engine Shake Reply with quote

How are the spring plate bushings and do you have anything like a traction bar, kafer bar, or mid mount for the tranny. How are the frame horns?
Hugo Stiglitz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Violent Engine Shake Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
if the engine is solidly bolted to the transmission, that means the whole engine/trans is jumping around as a unit.

Are the frame horns and chassis OK? And the rubber bushings which hold the spring plates?

74 Thing wrote:
How are the spring plate bushings and do you have anything like a traction bar, kafer bar, or mid mount for the tranny. How are the frame horns?

Nothing stood out to me at first glance when pulling engine & trans. I will get underneath there this evening and take a look. I will also pull spring plates and check bushings/torsion bars.

I don't run a traction or kafer bar. No mid-mount either.

Jay Leno's Garage

mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Violent Engine Shake Reply with quote

No midmount or traction bar, and you broke an axle,,, huge red flag!! Why the need for hd axles and who installed them?

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Violent Engine Shake Reply with quote

my vote is dropping cylinder.
qdelarosa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Violent Engine Shake Reply with quote

I agree with Mark, you may not have a cylinder firing properly. Maybe check to see that your spark plugs are good?
2012 Tiguan
2016 (Now Totaled) Golf
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Violent Engine Shake Reply with quote

if the dual carbs are so out of 'sync' the engine will shake at certain RPMs.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hugo Stiglitz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Violent Engine Shake Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
No midmount or traction bar, and you broke an axle,,, huge red flag!! Why the need for hd axles and who installed them?

Yea, it was a result of having spring plates set super low + a burn out + tons of wheel hop = SNAP! Embarassed

mark tucker wrote:

Engine was running and idling fine in neutral. I even put a few revs into it just to make sure it wasn't the engine. Had no signs of unsync'd carbs, or cylinders not firing. Crying or Very sad

Jay Leno's Garage

FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Violent Engine Shake Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:

I've driven home 500 miles on 3 cylinders, it never did THAT!
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Violent Engine Shake Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:

Engine was running and idling fine in neutral. I even put a few revs into it just to make sure it wasn't the engine. Had no signs of unsync'd carbs, or cylinders not firing. Crying or Very sad[/quote]

It's not under load in neutral though is it....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Violent Engine Shake Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
mark tucker wrote:

I've driven home 500 miles on 3 cylinders, it never did THAT!
Me too - nothing like that!
Wild theory, if carbs are daisy chained, maybe one whole side of the engine is short of fuel.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Violent Engine Shake Reply with quote

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

Yea, it was a result of having spring plates set super low + a burn out + tons of wheel hop = SNAP! Embarassed

mark tucker wrote:

Engine was running and idling fine in neutral. I even put a few revs into it just to make sure it wasn't the engine. Had no signs of unsync'd carbs, or cylinders not firing. Crying or Very sad

Fulcrum plate

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
jonny1309
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Violent Engine Shake Reply with quote

I had a similar shake last summer while driving to Prado from OCTO. It was fine at idle and lower rpms. I got it to prado by going easy on the throttle thinking I'd try to figure it out over the next 24 hours.

20 hours later, I started by looking at the plugs (I re-jetted the day before since my bus just came from altitude). I pull the #2 wire and find a cracked isolator right at the plug. I got a new set of wires from the swap and I was off and running.

Take a look at your plug wires.

Barndoor Mafia wrote:
Add a cop mustache, some cholo shades and a Doyers cap to the guy in the suit .......... Tocayo.

scottvw wrote:
kiss my ass Tom....I'm without centercaps right now.

OgCalLook wrote:
nothin' wrong with: Nose down - Ass up!! Twisted Evil

Ragman wrote:
Did you tell her that Al Reed painted them?

lonslo wrote:
My tailbone still hurts like hell. Crying or Very sad
auslander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Violent Engine Shake Reply with quote

I had a similar problem when the thrust on the bearing was wrong. Ran great, never had a problem. Tore it down and put all new bearings in.

66 POS Bus
69 Class 11 Beetle
71 Cat-Look Beetle
64 Old Skool Baja
74 "Swamp" Thing

!!! F**k Cancer !!!
Time's Tide will Smother You
"You can't throw a rock in Long Beach without hitting a tweaker" Steve Tucci
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Violent Engine Shake Reply with quote

I’d be taking a closer look at the diff components. Every broken swing axle I’ve come across has broken the perimeter ring on the side gear as well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: