Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heavy vibration while stopped and in gear
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluntlunchbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Heavy vibration while stopped and in gear Reply with quote

Igeo wrote:
If those bolts were loose, I'd expect you'd hear some knocking noises when getting on and off power. I know my armchair diagnosis isn't particularly popular on this one, but if the mood strikes you, crawl under the van and see if you can get some movement on the inner CVs. Grab the axle near the joint and see if there is side to side (not in and out) play. If there is movement perpendicular to the shaft, then the CV is worn. Was this Anza Borrego trip really "off-road" or just some "off-highway" drit road?

By the way, how well does the engine idle apart from the vibration? Is there a miss that is being interpreted as a "vibration"?

I'll check the cv's just in case. We drove off-road through river washes and over semi rocky terrain such as Diablos Drop Off Trail. I was told a lot of Jeep guys frequent that "road" since it can be a challenging drive. Thanks to Google Maps, we got to experience it a bit too.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Heavy vibration while stopped and in gear Reply with quote

Igeo, I looked into that a bit more and found some other examples of individuals stating that their stock TDI automatic (tiptronic) had a bad vibration at idle in drive due to non-oem axles being installed. Really strange. Thanks for pointing it out. That's a new one to me.
bluntlunchbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Heavy vibration while stopped and in gear Reply with quote

Just for kicks, I checked the cv's. No movement at the joints, just axle movement in and out. I was missing a bolt on the exhaust collector and fixed that. Still getting a lot of vibration in gear at idle. It runs really well, no bogging, power is on and no hiccups. I keep thinking it could be a flexplate or torque converter issue but dang, not looking forward to that again. If that was an issue, could it cause the extra vibration ONLY in gear?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Heavy vibration while stopped and in gear Reply with quote

I wish I could help you with specifics based upon experience, but honestly I think this requires that the trans be dropped in order to rule out the obvious stuff.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Heavy vibration while stopped and in gear Reply with quote

Thanks for indulging the CV joint idea. Oh well- not surprised.

Have you tried idling in gear, and with an assistant with his/her foot on the brake, looking and feeling around back by the engine and trans? Maybe you'd get a clue doing that. Observe the various pulleys and belts, look for movement of the engine itself etc.

I'm staring to think you might have to bite down on the idea of dropping the transmission. It shifts normally otherwise?
bluntlunchbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Heavy vibration while stopped and in gear Reply with quote

Yes, tranny shifts and holds each gear normally. I'll try the next set of tests and see what happens. Maybe I can post a video 😉
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Heavy vibration while stopped and in gear Reply with quote

I suppose as a final way to eliminate the drive system external to the gearbox, one could detach the inner CVs from the transmission. It's only six bolts on each side; secure the loose axle ends somewhere nearby, and see if the problem persists.

As mentioned, it could still be something completely unrelated to the axles (exhaust, engine mounts, etc.) but this test would certainly isolate the CVs and axles from the equation.

Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Heavy vibration while stopped and in gear Reply with quote

Wow - did you go down the Drop Off? Did it once. Never again.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Heavy vibration while stopped and in gear Reply with quote

How MUCH CONTACT did you make in the Anza? Did you perhaps reshape the rear engine support bar?
Another thing that is nagging at me is the air cleaner mount.
Regarding the CVs. Disconnecting will NOT help with the diagnosis unless you make a couple of bars to lock them from turning and even that changes the torque reaction of the engine/transmission assembly.
bluntlunchbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Heavy vibration while stopped and in gear Reply with quote

We'll, I found the culprit; bent exhaust. Just enough to touch the underside and vibrate. Straightened it out and she purrs again!! I feel better knowing that my transmission and engine are fine, but what a pain. Thankfully I didn't have to drop the tranny to check my torque converter. You guys are awesome and inspired me to track down this problem and to not give up. Moral of the story is to get under the van and inspect!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Heavy vibration while stopped and in gear Reply with quote

Woot.

been there done that.

glad it wasn't anything $major$

danfromsyr wrote:
rough terrain, did you impact the exhaust on anything it normally rides fairly close to the body in some places.

make sure ALL of your exhasut is not able to contact the body.
with the motor off, grab it (the motor) and give a vigorous shake in all directions.. see if you hear anything making contact then make it so it dont

and wow, it's NOT the CVs as Waldo stated..
we'll deal with one problem at a time.. when he complains about vigorous shaking at highway speeds or the sound of coconuts riding alongside him when he's near a highway barrier..

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: