Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering lock repair (lock barrel)
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PEPPE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Steering lock repair (lock barrel) Reply with quote

i was trting to change the steering lock barrel on a brazilian split. it is thr Arteb model but pretty similar in shape to the european ones. it ha the blocking with the pin, but in different position respect the german ones.

who sells the replacement barrel?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering lock repair (lock barrel) Reply with quote

I've bought this one in the past. They are o k .
https://www.jbugs.com/product/113905853.html
PEPPE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Steering lock repair (lock barrel) Reply with quote

They are different. No spring clip
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Steering lock repair (lock barrel) Reply with quote

Oh, ok, sorry. When you said Brazilian I though those. I've used that one and the earlier electric switch on a '67 type 3. The electric "no restart" ratchet mechanism hardly ever worked.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Steering lock repair (lock barrel) Reply with quote

PEPPE wrote:
They are different. No spring clip

post a pic of your steering lock.

The ig cylinder he linked to should work on a 67 style split bus steering lock, also various 68& later VWs ignitions.

The 66& earlier style (fahrt start) is different.

A few threads on steering locks:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...=titleonly
PEPPE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering lock repair (lock barrel) Reply with quote

it is like this in another post
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
i believe like the earlier german type. i tried to use a later lock, the ones good also for early bay window, but it is different
PEPPE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering lock repair (lock barrel) Reply with quote

probably it has this kind of cylinder.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Steering lock repair (lock barrel) Reply with quote

PEPPE wrote:
it is like this in another post
i believe like the earlier german type. i tried to use a later lock, the ones good also for early bay window, but it is different

If yours is fahrt start (62 to 66), the 67 and later lock cylinder does not fit.
AFAIK, this lock cylinder is only available used, which means buy a replacement steering lock. You can use the lock cylinder from a beetle steering lock of same era.
Perhaps the brazilian steering locks with writing are like the fahrt start German ones?

67 & later:
These take the lock cylinder linked to in the ad before.
IIRC, steering locks because standard as of 1969, and all VW used the same ignition lock cylinder for some years (68 through 79? I am not clear on the later specs, though I know this is available) though there were some key profile changes.

PEPPE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: Steering lock repair (lock barrel) Reply with quote

it seems that in brasil they are for sale, but as any brasilian part is difficult to buy.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Steering lock repair (lock barrel) Reply with quote

PEPPE wrote:
it seems that in brasil they are for sale, but as any brasilian part is difficult to buy.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search
PEPPE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Steering lock repair (lock barrel) Reply with quote

I do not see new ones in classifieds. I was speaking about the new replacement barrel and key alone
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Steering lock repair (lock barrel) Reply with quote

Assuming yours is the fahrt start kind, correct, the lock cylinder is not available new. They are not designed to be easily replaced. If you look at what the Workshop Manual says about fixing them, I think it says buy a new steering lock.

You can buy a replacement steering lock... look in the samba classifieds.
Or you can buy a beetle lock to take the lock cylinder out of, if you really want to replace the lock cylinder. Also available in the samba classifieds.

Check the link I posted above. Wink
Clara wrote:

If yours is fahrt start (62 to 66), the 67 and later lock cylinder does not fit.
AFAIK, this lock cylinder is only available used, which means buy a replacement steering lock.
You can use the lock cylinder from a beetle steering lock of same era.
PEPPE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering lock repair (lock barrel) Reply with quote

Indeed for the brasilian one looks to be available. I will try to purchase them. I have also a pair of German ones and one requires new barrel.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Steering lock repair (lock barrel) Reply with quote

PEPPE wrote:
Indeed for the brasilian one looks to be available. I will try to purchase them. I have also a pair of German ones and one requires new barrel.

I'm a bit unsure which steering lock you have. Perhaps you could post a more clear pic of your steering lock? I am guessing it is the fahrt start kind, but I'm not 100% sure.

Link to the new Brasilian lock barrel you found that fits the fahrt start lock?
Or did you mean you found a new steering lock?
Might be a language issue?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: