Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Back up light switch.
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Back up light switch. Reply with quote

I’ve got a 57 bus with a 67 bus trans in it. For the life of me I can’t find the BU switch. I know where it is on all the other cars, but not this one.
Any ideas ?

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
Honda XLR 250, 69 Z50, Yamaha 100 Enduro...and others.
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Kubota L3710, not enuf attachments.
And various VW's that come and go...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Back up light switch. Reply with quote

Should be on the nosecone like all other stickshift models. I was not aware the split Bus was any different. See 'em on the left sides at the bottom of the photo?:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Someone could have replaced the switch with some plug if they weren't using it; no reason to, but it's been done. Also, maybe there wasn't room for it in the older chassis, so it was removed/plugged? Could be hard to see with the usual crud, but a '67 tranny should have it there.
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Back up light switch. Reply with quote

Yep, that’s where I see them usually. However on my bus there is a crossmember that goes across there very close to the nose cone. Wondering now if the 67 crossmmember is in a slightly different location, or configuration.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Back up light switch. Reply with quote

I have the switch on my stock 65 transaxle. Its close but the switch clears.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Back up light switch. Reply with quote

This is a photo stolen from the samba gallery. It is the ERCO aftermarket nose cone with the plug for the switch. I have not dug into one for awhile, but I am pretty sure fitting that switch onto an early (non-tunnel trans) bus won't really work.

gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Back up light switch. Reply with quote

I’ll look again, but looking at that aftermarket nose cone it looks like there’s no way a switch could go in that housing. The crossmember is almost butting up to it. I wonder if the 57 crossmemeb is different than the later splittie ones.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Back up light switch. Reply with quote

I have a friend coming over tomorrow to work on her bus. A 67....I’ll check hers out too.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Back up light switch. Reply with quote

gitchesum wrote:
I’ll look again, but looking at that aftermarket nose cone it looks like there’s no way a switch could go in that housing. The crossmember is almost butting up to it. I wonder if the 57 crossmemeb is different than the later splittie ones.

Pretty sure it is the way the crossmember and the front mount adaptation all fits together that makes the switch an impossibly tight fit. Unless your 57 has had a later front mount setup welded in, you likely won't be able to use the switch.
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Back up light switch. Reply with quote

I think you're right...Funky pic, but you can see how close that bung where the switch usually goes. Maybe 3/8 clearance...don't see how you could get a switch in there.
I'll have to add a manual switch.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Back up light switch. Reply with quote

I was in a similar position with my Oct '56 Single Cab. There was no room to fit a switch in the nosecone.

The original reverse light for early busses and trucks used an external push/pull switch that had nothing to do with the gearbox.

It was mounted on the transverse frame rail just forward of the nose cone. A finger was clamped round the long shift rod and acted on that switch, pulling it to make the circuit when reverse was selected. I think it was an option for Ambulances.

I semi-replicated that by mounting a switch on one of the cross-members under the floor as there is more space to work under there. I used a NOS Bosch switch like the ones used on Beetles. They turn up on ebay from time to time and aren't expensive. It is a push-to-make, rather than pull-to-make switch.

I fabricated a 'finger' from a couple of woodworking corner brackets that clamps around the long shift rod.

The shift rod is at its furthest forward point when reverse is selected, so it's easy to put the gear shift in reverse and move the clamped finger to contact the switch. Then run wires across and along the frame rail to power the light.

If you have belly pans, the long shift rod is mostly hidden, so you'd need to fit a switch further back as per the original accessory switch.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Back up light switch. Reply with quote

Or buy one of those VW reverse light switches, an ambulance part number, that screws on to the speedometer and the speedo cable screws onto it. When you start to move in reverse the cable which is now turning the opposite way trips the switch to light up your back-up light. I've got one on my '59 DC... works great.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Back up light switch. Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
I was in a similar position with my Oct '56 Single Cab. There was no room to fit a switch in the nosecone.

The original reverse light for early busses and trucks used an external push/pull switch that had nothing to do with the gearbox.

It was mounted on the transverse frame rail just forward of the nose cone. A finger was clamped round the long shift rod and acted on that switch, pulling it to make the circuit when reverse was selected. I think it was an option for Ambulances.

I semi-replicated that by mounting a switch on one of the cross-members under the floor as there is more space to work under there. I used a NOS Bosch switch like the ones used on Beetles. They turn up on ebay from time to time and aren't expensive. It is a push-to-make, rather than pull-to-make switch.

I fabricated a 'finger' from a couple of woodworking corner brackets that clamps around the long shift rod.

The shift rod is at its furthest forward point when reverse is selected, so it's easy to put the gear shift in reverse and move the clamped finger to contact the switch. Then run wires across and along the frame rail to power the light.

If you have belly pans, the long shift rod is mostly hidden, so you'd need to fit a switch further back as per the original accessory switch.

Good call...my thought too on the clearance issue...just no way. Good wor around you came up with tho. Thanks.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Back up light switch. Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Or buy one of those VW reverse light switches, an ambulance part number, that screws on to the speedometer and the speedo cable screws onto it. When you start to move in reverse the cable which is now turning the opposite way trips the switch to light up your back-up light. I've got one on my '59 DC... works great.

Bill

I've thought about that too. I've got an extra one of those. Have one on an early bug and it takes a bit of distance backing up to operate the light , but that will work.
Thank you.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: