Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Good deals on Nice Vans
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 288, 289, 290 ... 325, 326, 327  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

he posted on facebook group saying
Quote:
Goodbye old friend. For the last 14 years we have seen a lot of this country. Brought us a lot of happiness. Hope you enjoy your new home.

joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
he posted on facebook group saying
Quote:
Goodbye old friend. For the last 14 years we have seen a lot of this country. Brought us a lot of happiness. Hope you enjoy your new home.

Yikes, that's almost exactly what I was planning to say next week.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thewump
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Not a bad deal here in CO considering it has nice aftermarket bumpers and a SA grille.. all for $3k.

Not mine.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/285147472182007/

K
Gnostic_Astronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Think I found a pretty good van? Would love to hear the opinion of someone a bit more knowledgeable and mechanically inclined.. 1984, It has a '91 ej 22 with supposedly 120k on it and had a timing belt and oil seal replacement when it was swapped. Full brake job. asking 9k. It's not very close (actually quite far) to me but curious if it worth it to check out.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Gnostic_Astronaut wrote:
Think I found a pretty good van? Would love to hear the opinion of someone a bit more knowledgeable and mechanically inclined.. 1984, It has a '91 ej 22 with supposedly 120k on it and had a timing belt and oil seal replacement when it was swapped. Full brake job. asking 9k. It's not very close (actually quite far) to me but curious if it worth it to check out.

Luis Senye (racerrojo) converted that van; he's done several of them. Search his username in this forum and you can do some background research.

I think it's been for sale so long because nobody seems to want the older tin tops. Also, the rear seats don't match and it's been resprayed, but I agree, based on the photos and some of his previous work it looks like a good van with no apparent rust.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

That KEP header looks as if it has not yet been run. Or, at least not run for long. I would be asking to see a video of that engine started, keeping the video rolling while the owner takes it out for a spin to demo this is an actual working conversion. Need to see running temperature, if the heaters work, what the voltage is reading while running, etc.

My guess is that this is a well intention'd conversion that just didn't turn out like they thought, and now want to sell to get $'s back.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:

My guess is that this is a well intention'd conversion that just didn't turn out like they thought, and now want to sell to get $'s back.

Based on his prior work, I'd be surprised if that were the case.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:

Based on his prior work, I'd be surprised if that were the case.

I'm not arguing with you, and I don't know who the seller is. I am glad you are in approval tho, that speaks well. Perhaps the plastic wrap to the left and header low/no use got me wondering looking up under the engine. My guess now is that this was a picture in late stages of build? For a buyer, tho, I'd have to stick with my suggestion that the seller should have a video available, if selling as a runner. Especially practical if a buyer was traveling a long way to drive it home.
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
and it's been resprayed

And with so-so attention to detail.

The first pic shows that the van was white before and when they painted in new tan color they shot the interior of the doors (good) but also left a visible transition line in the driver footwell (not so good).

In the second shot we see they left the interior white in some places (under the side windows on the driver side) and the new tan in others (like the hatch), and they painted right over the door hardware for the slider. Makes me wonder about how much prep and masking they did.
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Is there any market for an 84 westy rolling shell? I came across one while looking for some old ford stuff and was going to just pass the deal along to someone that may want to do a full build out on it. Its missing the kitchen, some interior stuff but the body is straight, has glass and pretty solid, rolls, steers, has a motor. Looks like maybe it was a parts car for a while, those days seem to be rapidly disappearing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

SyncroButter wrote:
joetiger wrote:
and it's been resprayed

The first pic shows that the van was white before and when they painted in new tan color they shot the interior of the doors (good) but also left a visible transition line in the driver footwell (not so good).

In the second shot we see they left the interior white in some places (under the side windows on the driver side) and the new tan in others (like the hatch), and they painted right over the door hardware for the slider. Makes me wonder about how much prep and masking they did.

Apparently it was used a TV show prop so maybe there wasn't as much detail work as some of his other vans.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
SyncroButter wrote:
joetiger wrote:
and it's been resprayed

Apparently it was used a TV show prop so maybe there wasn't as much detail work as some of his other vans.

Yeah, and it's what looks like a very very low rust tintop with a subie conversion done for 9k. I wouldn't expect perfection for that price given those two factors- to me, it's still a fair deal, which means a good one.
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/denver-1986-volkswagen-vanagon/6827794414.html

Some of you might wonder, others will know, but yes, it is, and fully functioning. I test drove it for another samba member who decided to pass on it. It drives well. There is seam rust but undercarriage looks good.
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

I was doing some more work on my bike at the bike coop last week when a couple of the young-uns there really got excited about my Westy parked out front, particularly after I toured them through the pop-up and all the cool stuff in a westy.
I always enjoy doing this as it never fails to rekindle my excitement with the vehicle (see the last portion of this post).
Unfortunately I had to tell them that it was difficult to find a good Westy for under $10K anymore and that they should probably look elsewhere.

This morning, I decided to look around to see if there are watercooled Westys out there for under $10K
It was good to see there were a couple of them on thesamba classifieds search (Vanagon, Westfalia, >$2000,<=$9999, >=1983MY)
If you wanted a eurovan or could convert an aircooled westy to watercooled, there are even more choices.
And you can find a couple on Craigslist: (google "Vanagon Westfalia cto site:craigslist.org then cull out the pric
$5K https://medford.craigslist.org/cto/d/murphy-1984-vw-vanagon-westfalia-bus/6833617174.html
$9.5K https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/seattle-1986-vw-vanagon-westfalia/6826793120.html

So they are out there, but things sure have changed from 2003 when I picked up my neglected, but solid '87 Syncro Westy weekender shown below for $1500

SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
joetiger wrote:
SyncroButter wrote:
joetiger wrote:
and it's been resprayed

Yeah, and it's what looks like a very very low rust tintop with a subie conversion done for 9k. I wouldn't expect perfection for that price given those two factors- to me, it's still a fair deal, which means a good one.

For sure, it's still a really nice van and the paint job itself looks nice. I did not intend to "bad mouth" it with my comment about the details, was just assuming that some of the folks on this thread and the Samba in general haven't painted a car and might not know what to look for to gauge the level of prep work etc. If I were in the market, I would be looking at that van for sure...
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

I'm surprised that this one hasn't sold. I met this van and its owners at Syncro Solstice a few years back, and while it's not traditional-looking, it's very well-appointed. If I was in the market, I'd have a hard time passing it up:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2111140

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
ELO78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

raoul mitgong wrote:
https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/denver-1986-volkswagen-vanagon/6827794414.html

Some of you might wonder, others will know, but yes, it is, and fully functioning. I test drove it for another samba member who decided to pass on it. It drives well. There is seam rust but undercarriage looks good.
-d

I’m the other Samba member. I want to give a public shoutout to raoul mitgong - dooder was beyond helpful. I’m only sorry that I couldn’t pull the trigger.
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words ELO78.

I still think it is a great deal and would be gone for $7000 (asking price) if the seller posted a passenger side photo or mentioned it is a SYNCRO anywhere in the ad. Only indication in that ad is the rear side marker location which many don't know and won't trigger CL alerts.

Anyway, the owner Greg seems like a good dude and despite some real seam rust, kept it pretty well maintained.

I can send pics and the short write up of pros and cons if anyone is interested.

-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

raoul mitgong wrote:

I still think it is a great deal and would be gone for $7000 (asking price) if the seller posted a passenger side photo or mentioned it is a SYNCRO anywhere in the ad. Only indication in that ad is the rear side marker location which many don't know and won't trigger CL alerts.

Anyway, the owner Greg seems like a good dude and despite some real seam rust, kept it pretty well maintained.

I can send pics and the short write up of pros and cons if anyone is interested.

-d

I want it. But if I bring it home I'll end up sleeping in it, probably down by a river of some sort.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Good deals on Nice Vans Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
raoul mitgong wrote:

-d

I want it. But if I bring it home I'll end up sleeping in it, probably down by a river of some sort.

Me too. Darren sent it to me after ELO passed and I was drinking margaritas in San Antonio at the time. Almost pulled the trigger so I could drive it to SS19 but I had the same thought as you Joe.... Laughing

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 288, 289, 290 ... 325, 326, 327  Next
Jump to:
Page 289 of 327

Jump to: