Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Missing ring on 6 volt starter motor shaft - remove and install?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Missing ring on 6 volt starter motor shaft - remove and install? Reply with quote

I noticed that a early 6 volt starter motor that I want to test on my '59 Double-Cab is missing a metal ring on the starter shaft. You can see grooves where the ring ought to be. I'm assuming that the ring keeps the starter gear pushed out by the solenoid from extending too far. Other starters I have clearly have the ring, but this starter is missing it's ring. Check out the photos below.

In the photo below the starter motor on the left is missing it's ring, on the starter motor on the right you can see the ring in question.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

the ring is missing on the shaft below (note the grooves):

below the ring is in place.

On closer inspection there seems to be a thick "C" retaining clip inside the ring (seen from rearward side of the metal ring) that holds it in place in the groove on the shaft. I've tried to get a sharp pointed pick in there and tried to pry out the "C" clip so that I might remove the ring and "C" clip and swap it to the starter motor that is missing them. No luck so far. Can anyone shed some light on this procedure and share a tip or two on how to swap the ring off one starter and onto the other? Thanks!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing ring on 6 volt starter motor shaft - remove and install? Reply with quote

Bill, you have to knock the stopper ring towards the gear. It's just hung up on how it stays there. After you get in knocked inward you will be able to get the spring ring off. Don't make the spring smaller or larger.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing ring on 6 volt starter motor shaft - remove and install? Reply with quote

Really? Do you just slip a socket on the shaft and tap/bash it, or use a punch around and around? I would not have thought to force the metal ring forward (FIF) toward the starter motor to expose the "C" clip. Damn!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing ring on 6 volt starter motor shaft - remove and install? Reply with quote

Maybe a drop of oil in there first but, yeah, deep socket or bottle jack handle that won't hit shaft or jam on the shaft. Then you have to invent the puller-back-onner tool. Sometimes it's easier to just put it into a bellhousing and hit the start lug.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing ring on 6 volt starter motor shaft - remove and install? Reply with quote

Workshop Manual 1963-67 Section E-5, page 5. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: