Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 Deluxe Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

I haven't heard that before. I've definitely heard of header wrap retaining moisture causing premature rust. I've ran header wrap before on water-cooled cars before for years without any cracking issues. Have you had issues with it causing cracking TDCTDI?
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Just read a post from Wild Bill seeing his rather extreme example of header failure due to wrap. I think I'll be removing the wrap. Thanks TDCTDI from getting me to look into it more.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

I might entertain a straight stretch of wrap on manifolds 2 & 4 directly under the apron. Nothing like checking your oil at a gas stop and burning your forearm on the apron…

BTDT,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Trashman wrote:
I haven't heard that before. I've definitely heard of header wrap retaining moisture causing premature rust. I've ran header wrap before on water-cooled cars before for years without any cracking issues. Have you had issues with it causing cracking TDCTDI?

I had heard the rust as well, but never the fatigue failure. Can you link where you found the issue with the failure due to heat cycle?
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

I primarily saw it on dedicated track cars, the wrap would isolate heat on the pipes & cause the metal to fail at a molecular level, the headers would literally crumble by tapping them with your keys after a few events.

https://www.centuryperformance.com/exhaust-header-heat-wraps-do-not-use.html

asiab3 wrote:
I might entertain a straight stretch of wrap on manifolds 2 & 4 directly under the apron. Nothing like checking your oil at a gas stop and burning your forearm on the apron…

BTDT,
Robbie

Header wrap no, a heat shield would be great though. A quick trip through a junk yard for a heat shield from a modern car would be great. They typically use either a multi-layered aluminum or aluminum/fiber matrix that is easily formed by hand that could used between the exhaust & body work.

Or... with Trashman's mad fab skills...

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

Header wrap no, a heat shield would be great though. A quick trip through a junk yard for a heat shield from a modern car would be great. They typically use either a multi-layered aluminum or aluminum/fiber matrix that is easily formed by hand that could used between the exhaust & body work.

To stick with using rolls of stuff for "racecars" lol, what do you guys think about some of that gold reflective heat tape like this under the apron?

https://www.amazon.com/Design-Engineering-010394-High-Temperature-Reflective/dp/B0039Z5TUY

Definitely more expensive than a junk yard heat shield
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Making your own heat shield, or repurposing one from another car, is better in that there is still an air gap between the exhaust AND the apron.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

something like a TDI or 1.8t from early-mid 2000 vw's have easily accessible heat shields to grab. And they are to keep turbo heat down too, so should be pretty good. More than enough for standard exhaust heat.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Removed the wrap today. Almost wasn't worth it getting covered in fiberglass again. You live and you learn I guess.

Since my engine is trans is raised, there are some areas of the header that are closer to the rear apron than stock would be. Next longer drive I'll take a temp reading of the apron. Then I'll compare it to another reading after installing some sort of heat shield (whatever I can fit in the smaller space).
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Just been driving around with no issues and been working slowly on the new engine. Took a few pics the other day. Here's one of them.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Wow this is a great thread. Just caught up on it. Excellent writing skills as well. I had no clue about low riders until I read through this. I was never a big fan because who wants a ridged suspension system? I thought it would ride like a hardtail motorcycle.

Your system is great! I had no idea how these modern system work. Thank you for the education.

The fact you did this work without a garage is amazing. You need to start your own shop pronto.

1982 AMC Eagle SX4 4.2L FI
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words! Most people doing things in the same vein as me seem to all be afraid to post on the Samba because of the crowd that's on here. I quite like the Samba for all it has to offer in terms of information and community, so I though it needed a little more diversity in the sorts of things people were doing to their buses. I figure most people won't take any of this as a how-to or anything, but I at least hope that it's entertaining and maybe my thread is making people appreciate extremely lowered buses (done properly) a little bit more.

In other news, some of the bigger vw shows around here are coming up in the next couple months, the soonest being Kelley Park, so I've been trying to finish off some jobs that were all almost done. So far I've got a little more of the wood paneling done and I've made and welded in a doghouse to cover the beam since it is now in the passenger compartment and there is a big hole in the floor. I think it's turning out pretty sweet. Picture update soon to come :2gunfire:
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Bring on that heater love. It might be a hard thing to finish since you haven't needed it since like a week ago Laughing

I went to a Doughnuts & Cars thing this last weekend and ran the heater all the way there. us was nice and warm at 6 am cruising down the highway. Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Hahaha I know. I put in a little work on the fuel tank for it the other day. Our winter in Santa Cruz has been rainy, just not very cold so the incentive hasn't been too high to finish it. The ducting is going to be tough since I have to make some custom elbows out of sheet metal.
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Trashman .........can you post a better view of your outer tie rod ends and what you did there? Is it all custom or have you purchased parts etc ?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Its just going under the buddy seat right?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

panel wrote:
Trashman .........can you post a better view of your outer tie rod ends and what you did there? Is it all custom or have you purchased parts etc ?

I don't have any pictures of the ends but if I get the time to take any I'll pm you. The ends are these QA1 high-misalignment rod ends that I got off of summit. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/QA1-PCYMR8T . The spindles were drilled out and sleeved to be a perfect fit for the 1/2" bolt.

notchboy wrote:
Its just going under the buddy seat right?

The heater is going under the buddy seat and the fuel tank is going in the engine compartment opposite the battery. I am going to duct the hot air under the bus so that it comes out of the stock vents up front. My main priority with the heater was defogging/defrosting the windshield. The initial 90* after the ducting goes under the floor will be the trickiest because I have to keep it under the frame rails as well as route around all of the cable tubes that run in that vicinity.
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

K thx!

Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Got the doghouse for the beam finished up the other day. Still debating on whether or not to cut the walkthru mat to just cover the back 8 or so inches of the walkthru that's still flat, or to trim the sides of it so it would just lay on top of the doghouse but end where it starts curving back down in the front, or just to leave it alone and ditch the mat entirely.

The access panel on it works nice but I still need to put a bit of weather stripping around the perimeter of it.

Here it is, ba-da-bing ba-da-boom

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Looking good!

What about two mats discreetly melded together?

Or are you like me, and a total wizard in one medium but a chump in another? I can't do shit with metal but plastics do whatever I tell them to… Laughing

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 17

Jump to: