Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shock absorbers
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
dave1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:10 am    Post subject: Shock absorbers Reply with quote

Help required with shock absorbers for a 52 split window beetle. Not sure what I require or where I can obtain them from. Looking for stock for 16" wheels/crossply tires. Are there any details on type/length of travel up/down or part numbers
Thanks Dave
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Shock absorbers Reply with quote

Monroe 5752

https://www.amazon.com/Monroe-5752-OESpectrum-Passenger-Absorber/dp/B000JWQF6W

you will need to make or source new metal sleeves to reduce the eyelet size.

I have these on my 51 front and rear and they drive nicely!
dave1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Shock absorbers Reply with quote

Hi Sled,
Thank you for the details. I sent info to the restor & has said that he can machine a new centre
Thanks Dave
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Shock absorbers Reply with quote

I've just been looking for a set of these in view of the information provided above, but this seller's information says that the only VW they are suitable for is an early Type 2 - Transporter. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Monroe-OESpectrum-Shock-Absorber-5752-/161382741030

If true, then the ride characteristics would be different to that required on a Beetle/Bug, certainly on the rear, where the weight is substantially different.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dave1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Shock absorbers Reply with quote

Hi Martin
My restoration guy carried out measurements for the open & closed measurements for a shock absorber needed for the split. These were 310mm & 225 > 250mm.
The shock absorbers that Sled has suggested fit the bill. The open & closed shock measurements are 12.75" (324mm) & 8.625" (219mm). As Sled has mentioned the eyelid hole will need modifying this could be the reason that the company state only type 2
Thanks Dave
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Shock absorbers Reply with quote

dave1 wrote:
Hi Martin
My restoration guy carried out measurements for the open & closed measurements for a shock absorber needed for the split. These were 310mm & 225 > 250mm.
The shock absorbers that Sled has suggested fit the bill. The open & closed shock measurements are 12.75" (324mm) & 8.625" (219mm). As Sled has mentioned the eyelid hole will need modifying this could be the reason that the company state only type 2
Thanks Dave

I can't recall if I bought those exact shocks for a Barndoor Bus but I did have to find sleeves for similar shocks that were listed only as Bus shocks from Monroe. The shocks had no sleeves at all on one side.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Shock absorbers Reply with quote

OK. They might physically fit, but because of the weight difference between a Bus & a Bug, the operating characteristics will be different. The other consideration is whether these units are single or double acting, as preferably single acting is required on the front, and double acting on the rear. This is why VW used to have their front shockers coloured black, and the rears red, so as not to confuse fitment.

Last edited by Martin Southwell on Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:24 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Shock absorbers Reply with quote

Nos set for rear:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2114475
New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dave1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Shock absorbers Reply with quote

Hi Martin,
Sled has these fitted to his 51 with no issues & as originals are difficult to get these seem a good alternative. Im going to give them a try. Mika has a set of originals for sale. Always great manufactured stuff from this guy.
bakersam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Shock absorbers Reply with quote

Front or rear? Did you search classifieds? May be more than you want to spend, but there are NOS rears.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2114475
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Shock absorbers Reply with quote

Martin you're overthinking this. A stock height split on 5.00-16 bias plies is not a performance car and rarely is driven above 62mph or 100kph. The handling characteristics of the shock are overshadowed by the poor performance of the tires and suspension. If you were actually pushing your split hard, like some of the European rallye guys do, then yes maybe you would look for a different shock but at that point it would be much better to use a beam with taller shock towers.

As for a stock height Barndoor bus on bias ply tires, the same could be said. If you're looking for road performance then I agree maybe some additional care could be paid. When shocks are shown an application, they are referring to its physical dimensions. A Barndoor bus is NOT equal to a 1950 Chrysler Imperial Crown 4-door. The Chrysler weighs approx 4430lbs and the bus 2400lbs, so how could the shock be suitable for both?

for the price of the Monroe shocks it is worth trying them compared to $350 for just a pair of shocks. If the black color bothers you, buy some red spray paint and squirt them.

Not criticizing Mika's asking price at all, as I'm sure someone wants to use NOS parts on their car.

as a side note, I have actually driven my all-original 51 at over 120kph down a twisty canyon road trying to catch up to a couple slammed buses with big motors, it performed very nicely even with the 5.00-5.25 excelsiors.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Markosz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Shock absorbers Reply with quote

sled wrote:
Monroe 5752

https://www.amazon.com/Monroe-5752-OESpectrum-Passenger-Absorber/dp/B000JWQF6W

you will need to make or source new metal sleeves to reduce the eyelet size.

I have these on my 51 front and rear and they drive nicely!

Do you have any pics from the adjustments? what u did?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: