Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ratio rockers with snap ring retainers?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Ratio rockers with snap ring retainers? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Anyone ever use a set of rockers with snap ring retainers ?
Thinking of running these with a stock cam & single H.D. springs.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Ratio rockers with snap ring retainers? Reply with quote

I think it was Art Thraen that used to take stock rocker shafts, and make the grooves cut for the stock clip into a full circle to accept a circle clip. Maybe these are simply some ratio rockers installed on that type of shaft. I don’t think you would have an issue with a low lift cam, and single springs, but maybe someone that has found the limit of a circle clip style shaft will chime in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Ratio rockers with snap ring retainers? Reply with quote

As I recall, genuine Sig Erson ratio rockers used snap-ring shafts. Those don't look like Erson rockers at all but maybe it's a clue.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Ratio rockers with snap ring retainers? Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys, shafts look to be original to the set and not modified stock ones. A while back someone told me they were early empi. They do seem to be in good shape.
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Ratio rockers with snap ring retainers? Reply with quote

Q,
No definitive answer yet, & the shafts could be anything - it may help if we knew their diameter. Could ya measure them?
The rockers do appear forged, & sport the same rough profile as those seen in the thumbnail image for GB 412-145:

http://www.geneberg.com/product_info.php?cPath=204&products_id=545
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Ratio rockers with snap ring retainers? Reply with quote

A quick caliper check on the shaft measures. .707 dia.

Last edited by QRP on Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Ratio rockers with snap ring retainers? Reply with quote

My Pauter rockers use cir-clips. .615 lift and CB VW650 springs. Have also used them on cam with same lift in Comp Eliminator heads with Chevy springs @ 600lbs over the nose.

brad
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Ratio rockers with snap ring retainers? Reply with quote

Art Thraen used to do that circlip mod as well as Sig Erson rockers had them. If you decide to run them safety wire that clip so it does not come off when running!
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Ratio rockers with snap ring retainers? Reply with quote

Forgot about Pauters, that reassuring to know.
And safety wire is also a good idea.

Thanks Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: