Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1963 VW Crew Cab Tow truck with dual motors the saga begins!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW JUNKY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to talk to the guy who built this truck up a few weeks ago. I have so much info I am still trying to digest it. He said at the end of a long converstaion to get my questions up about it. So that was cool.
I will be going with a 1.6 Turbo Diesel vw motor for the repower. I will be puting the radiator ware the oil coolers are now and will try and make the exhaust come out a set of twin stacks like it is now. The interior will need to be compleatly redone and I will be keeping the outside like is for now. With the Diesel motor I should be able to pull my camper with ease especially with gear reduction boxes and get good milage.
Currently making way for this project. Just have to get thru some other ones first like my Army VW thing that should be back on the road by the end of this month but that is another story.
later
Erick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Erick, I remember talking to you about this thing at EveryBus - glad it made it safely here!
That should keep you busy for a while!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shucklemoon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bud light cans over the exhaust stacks really complete the look! Lovin' it.
VW JUNKY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest update, collecting parts to get it back on the road. Building up the 1.6 td motor for it now for the repower. HOpe to have it running maybe by late falll.
later
Erick
82 Porsche SC Coupe
64 Beetle
1984 Argentina bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dogapult
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why add a different motor? keep the dual-motor thing going! restore it as it is! Twisted Evil

gzg1406: "bamboo sounds almost like manboob"
HermanSwanson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be so awesome to see this think being raced. Shocked
VW JUNKY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I will keep the motor and will show it off till we can get it running again. Just that i want to get it rolling first and make sure that all other things are running fine. Remember it has been sititing out side for 25 years! Motor is locked up. I like to drive my vehicles so that is why the repower for now. This thing is so hacked up that i could put a V8 back there with no cutting! LOL!
later
erick
82 Porsche SC Coupe
64 Beetle
1984 Argentina bus
dogapult
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW JUNKY wrote:
Oh I will keep the motor and will show it off till we can get it running again. Just that i want to get it rolling first and make sure that all other things are running fine. Remember it has been sititing out side for 25 years! Motor is locked up. I like to drive my vehicles so that is why the repower for now. This thing is so hacked up that i could put a V8 back there with no cutting! LOL!
later
erick

so in essence, what you are saying is that once you get everything else running smoothly, you'll go back to the dual flat 4s?

gzg1406: "bamboo sounds almost like manboob"
VW JUNKY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if possible i will use the dual motors for shows. I would like to drive this thing at least a few days a week and that really won't be possible with a one of a kind dual motor.
Stage 1, use motor as static display while getting the rest of the Truck running.
Stage 2, get the motor to run on a stand and take to shows.
Stage 3, use motor in Truck for shows if it seems to be ok.
Stage 4, possible make a spare motor just like it and then use it full time in bus.

this is what i hope for but time will tell. This will be a long term project. but till then getting the towtruck going would be ideal for the present.
later
erick Wink
82 Porsche SC Coupe
64 Beetle
1984 Argentina bus
VW JUNKY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to tow it to Everybus this weekend. Hope to see some folks there.
I put some wide tires on the back from a Lambo and small tires in the front. Over the winter I was working on getting the title and had the DMV guy come out to look at it. He had to put a NC number on it as the vin# was cut up due to modifications and probably lost the plates back in 1972 when it was totaled. Won't be able to get a title for it till I get it running. So Plan for now is to give it one good show this weekend on Sat. at everybus and then take the twin motor out of it and put in a regular 1600 for now and get it running. Still wating on the Turbo Diesel motor to go in it. Will be looking for a Master Engine builder later on this year or next to help with the Twin Motors. Found today that the upper upsidedown motor is stamped with Norton 1979. So at least it has a real date on it! LOL! Hope to get some photos of it later this weekend. Also the front seats were really back so I got some vintage bucked seats with older seat fabric for the front. Going to try and keep with the retro look. ALo got a crusty roof rack for it and it looks good with it on it. Fun fun!
later
Erick
82 Porsche SC Coupe
64 Beetle
1984 Argentina bus
volks kidS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump for interest and any info where this truck is, if it is finished or not
any body has any info on it that would be great. thanks

edit also the link in the old post to the old owners add will not connect
dont know if it is only me that it wont work for
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The web site in the first post of this thread is dead for me too.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW JUNKY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea the sites are gone, sorry about that, not much traffic and decided to dump them. Still have the towtruck and twin motors, like all great projects the other projects get in the way. The guy that was building my 1.6td motor went out of busness and I got screwed. $2k out on that deal. Set me back awhile. Right now almost got my 61 single cab back on the road. Will be getting on my German Radio VW Thing after that to sell to get some funds for other projects. I plan on keeping the Towtruck for a long time unless someone offers a really crazy high amount for the towtruck. Lowballers need not try. If I have to wait till I retire that would be fine by me.
later,
Erick
82 Porsche SC Coupe
64 Beetle
1984 Argentina bus
volks kidS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great to hear its still around, glad im not the only one the links didnt work for, thanks
LeviMan2001
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well he has plenty of pics in his gallery though. That thing is pretty cool btw!
VW JUNKY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leviman, thanks for pointing out the photos in my gallery, I totaly forgot about them. I have been avoiding this site due to it being like crack! I had to stop buying things so I can concentrate on the current projects. this is what happens when you have your 3rd kid! LOL! I tried to change the links in the early posts but they have been there too long and I can't edit them. Oh well.
82 Porsche SC Coupe
64 Beetle
1984 Argentina bus
caleb0101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates on this?
mike_jet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 VW Crew Cab Tow truck with dual motors the saga begins! Reply with quote

FYI,
I am an old friend of Marv Norton and his head Mech Arnold Jongsma
I have not heard of the twins (Motor) crew cab tow truck in a long time. I would love to see some photos of it. I will be attending AJ's services this Sat in mount Vernon AJ had a Kayaking accident in Juneau AK, I am sad to see him go. He was an excellent mechanic (Mr. VW) and seemed to be capable of fixing almost anything. He saved many a tow with his amazing know-how. as for Marv I don't know where he is at and have not heard or seen him in years last I heard he was in CA. Maybe Marv will show up at the services? A memorial service will be held on Saturday, March 5, at 11 a.m. at the First Evangelical Lutheran Church, 2015 East Blackburn Road, Mount Vernon. CHEERS Arnie!!!!!
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 VW Crew Cab Tow truck with dual motors the saga begins! Reply with quote

found this 1600cc dual port engine that has a Norton Enterprises sticker on it Cool Any new news on this truck?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW JUNKY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 VW Crew Cab Tow truck with dual motors the saga begins! Reply with quote

cool sticker! I sold the truck a few years back to a guy in Colorado Springs. The motors were eaten up pretty bad when the new owner opened them up. He had them re-welded? Not sure what is up with them now.
82 Porsche SC Coupe
64 Beetle
1984 Argentina bus
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: