Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Devon camper & the highway to Spain
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Devon camper & the highway to Spain Reply with quote

Got some tools and realised quite quickly that the drill will go very easily in number of places

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So now I'm looking for welding set. At least for the front of the bus

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Devon camper & the highway to Spain Reply with quote

Seems I just cannot keep the thread up to date. But better late than very late

So the windshield is on, bus works and during the summer I've been using the bus a bit. Installed leisure battery with isolator that feeds engine bay lights (yes, I have those, for the times I have to fix engine in the dark), USB chargers, radio, TV, 220v converter

Camping in Haapsalu, Estonia

Also visited the Latvian annual meeting

And took the bus about 4000km around the Baltic Sea visiting Danish VWeekend

Some more pics are here - https://www.facebook.com/pg/eastsidecustoms.ou/photos/?tab=album&album_id=2054530847890485

What else? Body needs some welding, it's on the list. Also gathering some electrical bits & pieces to make life more comfortable. In case I remember document the build I will share it here Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Devon camper & the highway to Spain Reply with quote

No other updates than it was sunny autumn day today. Ride them while You can, right. #4 gear starts to throw itself out more and more. Waiting for an event next weekend, after that it's winter storage and engine-gearbox off

And found a video from years back when my camper was in a TV commercial

Link

mark d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Devon camper & the highway to Spain Reply with quote

bus looks great. i have enjoyed your thread...good on ya

"what good are tractors without violins ?" jose figueres
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Devon camper & the highway to Spain Reply with quote

Somehow got into TV - managed to greet the I.D. Buzz for the very first time in Estonia, and yes with my old camper

dooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Devon camper & the highway to Spain Reply with quote

I've been lazy. And doing something else. And lazy. And did I mentioned that I was - yes, lazy. But as my vacation just started I decided to head to garage for couple of hours. Dropped the engine and started to take the furniture apart. Damn some parts of the cabinet were really rotten. Have to check the rear right window as well - for sure it leaks

Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Devon camper & the highway to Spain Reply with quote

dooker wrote:

The optical setup in this picture I can’t quite place where that footstool is, on a box or on the floor! It messes with my eyes! Haha!

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Devon camper & the highway to Spain Reply with quote

New year,m old plans

Anyway found the possible cause why #4 gear doesn't want to stay in. Got couple more chunks from the magnetic "hedgehog"

Anyway engine is off, engine bay welding is ongoing. Yesterday removed gearbox - that needs overhaul

Also removed right rear window only to discover some more holes. Rear one is probably to blame the rotting furniture

Short term plans - finish engine bay welding. Remove fuel tank & inspect fuel hoses as it starts to smell on left turns. Weld the holes in rear right window frame... etc etc etc

And one question, maybe someone knows. Does the middle louvred Devon window uses stock seal between body and frame? Or is it something specific? All signs suggest me to remove that one as well... may have some rust damage there too
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Devon camper & the highway to Spain Reply with quote

It sure looks like your slider louvered windows use the same seal as the left side from here, but a few close-up photos of the windows themselves will tell.

Nice road trip photos!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Devon camper & the highway to Spain Reply with quote

Eh, yeah. That window for sure gave you that cabinet rot. Evil or Very Mad

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Devon camper & the highway to Spain Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Eh, yeah. That window for sure gave you that cabinet rot. Evil or Very Mad

Not anymore! Got it welded as well as the center window that was just about developing another hole

For the Devon split louvered window - it looks to be using default seal. But it has extra seal around the frame which I managed to cut. Had no idea it was there and the louvered window really limits knife operating space

Will try to make better pics. Old phone does not meet the needs

So another question - anyone selling these "special" seals? I do think it will still work but to be on safe side I would like to change it

For anyone dealing with the same situation - when removing this louvered window do not touch last layer next to the aluminium frame if possible. It's glued on or just sticks to it
dooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Devon camper & the highway to Spain Reply with quote

One thing lead to another... and before I realized I managed to torn out all of the interia

Figured out all 4 corners need some welding but overall floor is good. Progress was good enough until I took vacation only to be sick for whole week. So... now waiting to get better, still

But as the old furniture was rather disintegrating from some places I will need new one. So I will throw out another question. Please share ideas and knowledge. Old setup was made from quite heavy 20mm plates. Don't know the correct naming but sort of saw dust or bigger bits

My first idea was to make new furniture from plywood. Mix of 8 and 12mm where needed rather than MDF. But has anyone used thin plywood and make aluminium frame? I try to save weight. Old set was heavy as s$&^ and as I will throw in some sound deadening I don't want to end up with extra heavy load that the mighty 2.0 stock engine will struggle to move

So what would be the cons & pros for AL frame - square and L profile for example. And then glue some thin plywood on it. Where needed (bed, top surfaces) with bit stronger material
dooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Devon camper & the highway to Spain Reply with quote

As the bus is still under construction maybe someone knows - where can I get new set of Devon camper roof hinges? Need the full lenght roof version ones
dooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Devon camper & the highway to Spain Reply with quote

Some updates. Welding *should* be done. I know I have said this sentence to my wife so many times already and yet I find my self with welder around some newly discovered rust-hole

Anyway got the roof off, turned my small garage into paint booth and painted it

Messed up interior painting (haven't done this job for about 10 years) so involved smaller kid helping out

And now went over outer upper part - some filler, some primer for special spots and some sandpaper. Hopefully can spend the weekend for masking everything and getting upper side under primer

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: