Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dormobile questions
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vdubdan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Dormobile questions Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I recently purchased this Martin Walter Dormobile with the Dormatic Interior from a couple in Canada. When Dormobile's were originally made how could you order one? Did you order from a Volkswagen dealer or were there Dormobile dealers? Was it possible to order a Dormobile if you lived in the US? Once they were ordered, did Volkswagen build the bus with a complete roof or with the hole for the top? If "they" cut a hole in the roof who cut it? Volkswagen or Dormobile? Any records as to how many VW Dormible's were made and how many in existence today? Would anyone be willing to share photo's from dealer literature? Thank you for any help.

Last edited by vdubdan on Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:23 pm; edited 4 times in total
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Dormobile questions Reply with quote

First, I'm sorry I can't answer your questions, but the camper ID thread in the FAQs may help. Dormobile's are really interesting campers, and a personal favorite. I'm sure some camper folks will chime in.

Please post more pics of yours, especially the interior. The Dormatic interior has always fascinated me.

It's a great looking bus!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Dormobile questions Reply with quote

Some information is this thread here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=186446

According to fig:

"MW Dormobiles were sold through the main English VW Distributor, VW Motors of Earl's Court, London. My Dormer still has its original owner's manual in a VW Motors plastic sleeve.

Outside the UK only Westafalia campers were sanctioned by VW. In the UK, however, several local conversions were sold through dealers in addition to Westies, including the Martin Walter and Devon campers.

My Dormer's M-plate shows it was ordered to be converted into a camper, being a Kombi with two-tone paint, chrome hubcaps, etc: "

Last edited by srfndoc on Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Dormobile questions Reply with quote

Don't claim to be an expert but my understanding is this.

You could order a "Dormobile" from Martin Walter (the manufacturer) and it would come with a Dormobile roof and the "Dormatic" camping interior

or

You could order an SO36 from Westfalia which gave you a Dormobile roof and the westfalia interior of that era. I have seen SO34/5 SO42 and SO44 interiors installed with "Dormobile" roof

Final point of difference is that campers ordered from Martin Walter came with no belly pans whereas ones ordered through Westfalia didn't.

Given that your bus has the "Dormobile" badges on the front doors I suspect yours was outfitted by Martin Walter. Nice looking bus- the previous owner was asking a lot of $$ for that bus and dropped their asking price by more than half if memory serves

"Fig" in South Africa has a very original Dormobile that could probably answer questions better than I can
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Dormobile questions Reply with quote

i think they converted buses after the fact. But i really do not know

http://www.dormobile.org.uk/index.php/dormobile-models/volkswagen/

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Dormobile questions Reply with quote

Here is So36 I was referring to

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/224389.jpg

Lots of Dormobile brochures in https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/type2.php

such as

velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Dormobile questions Reply with quote

sorry meant to say Dormie's from Martin Walter came with no belly pans whereas ones' from Westfalia did get belly pans
vdubdan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Dormobile questions Reply with quote

Our Dormie M Plate shows it was made to be shipped to Alberta Canada and from what I know spent it's previous life in Canada. With 91k original mileage the undercarriage is very clean and does carry the belly pan. This bus was the previous owners baby and the original asking price reflected that. I followed and communicated with them for sixteen months before we were able to come to an agreement. Yes, they started high but it was their baby.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Dormobile questions Reply with quote

Where is the bus now?
vdubdan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Dormobile questions Reply with quote

We live in Omaha. Our Dormie is getting a mechanical update with a reseal to the transmission and a new engine. I will post interior pictures in the bet few days.
ted698
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: Dormobile questions Reply with quote

Hi - for further help you could try contacting the SSVC Club in England.
I would post in their VW Related Chat forum - and I'm sure you will get lots of help, a few of the members on there have actually written books on this subject!

https://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=2
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Dormobile questions Reply with quote

From what I can see in the photos, this looks to be a Westfalia/Dormobile. MW Dormobiles had the roofs mounted further forward than the ones finished at Westfalia. This location put one of the roof vents above the flip out cooker.

I suspect the Dormo tag was put on when they painted it, tinted the windows, two toned the wheels and put on that trim below the belt-line. Looks a bit 'tarted-up', but it's a nicely presented Bus.

Here's my old 70 which I sold last year after 20 years of ownership:

Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Birdmanhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Dormobile questions Reply with quote

Bulli Klinik wrote:
MW Dormobiles had the roofs mounted further forward than the ones finished at Westfalia. This location put one of the roof vents above the flip out cooker.

I suspect the Dormo tag was put on when they painted it...

That may be true that Bay Window Dormobiles have the roof more forward.
But being a split it looks to be in the right spot, maybe a hair more rearward then most split dormobiles.
Any further forward and you would be cutting into the over head vents in front cab, also the kitchen in the MW Dormobile splits is in the very back.
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Dormobile questions Reply with quote

Right. Thanks for the correction.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubdan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Dormobile questions Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:09 am Post subject: Re: Dormobile questions Reply with quote
From what I can see in the photos, this looks to be a Westfalia/Dormobile. MW Dormobiles had the roofs mounted further forward than the ones finished at Westfalia. This location put one of the roof vents above the flip out cooker.

I suspect the Dormo tag was put on when they painted it, tinted the windows, two toned the wheels and put on that trim below the belt-line. Looks a bit 'tarted-up', but it's a nicely presented Bus.

I am not a fan of the tinted windows and am currently removing the film. I like the two toned wheels. In regards to the belt line trim the PO said that was done at Dormobile. Looking back through the archives I see another bus with that same trim.

Last edited by vdubdan on Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Dormobile questions Reply with quote

In your pic the window appears to be the usual size. On my ‘61 Kombi the bottom of the opening is flush with the top of the belt line. And the top of the opening is in line with the door header.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Dormobile questions Reply with quote

your side windows are normal size.

definitely a Martin Walter bus, not a westfalia.
vdubdan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Dormobile questions Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: