Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vintage/contemporary nostalgic built dunebuggy pictures
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage/contemporary nostalgic built dunebuggy pictures Reply with quote

In my lifetime of motorsports involvement, I've met quite a few Hollywood celebrities. When I was going to college, I worked in a gas station in a neighborhood where many of our regular customers were Hollywood celebrities also. I've done a lot of fabrication for movies too.

Some celebrities I've dealt with are really nice people. Some are total jerks.

On some of my fabrication projects, I've been pushed real hard to produce things, then change them at a whim and the change MUST be done nearly instantly. Then try to get paid. Then find that all that work and rush wound up on the cutting room floor. Can be a very frustrating industry to deal with.

I can sympathize with Bruce for his not liking to deal with them.

AMT sells a model kit of that car with tie-in to the movie (Live Little, Love a Little). They introduced the kit back in the 60s, based on a real Manx owned by a consultant to AMT (Don Emmons). The original version of the kit included decals to build a replica of Don's Manx including the cool flames and was not tied to the movie. The movie version of the kit was released later and has been available again the last few years as has the original version of the kit. Don's Manx and the kit have a 36hp motor with dual Solex carbs.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage/contemporary nostalgic built dunebuggy pictures Reply with quote

This one?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage/contemporary nostalgic built dunebuggy pictures Reply with quote

Richard, I have to disagree with you about Don Emmons Buggy.
The fact is, that it is (was) not a real Meyers Manx. It a very close copy of the original square tail design. With then ridge down the middle of the hood say copy right there it is a copy.
In Petersen Publications "Off Road Fun Cars" in 1970 there is a picture of said buggy and also in the section on wiring a buggy is the same book it show the underside of the body and there are no reinforcing tubes there.
Yes they use Don buggy for the model kit but remove the ridge on the hood.

If you want this verified, contact Bruce and Winnie Meyers and they will tell you the same thing.
Pixar and Disney screwed over Bruce and Winnie a few years back when they copy Old Red for CARS short movie and did not pay any royalties for it use like they did with the large car companies.

When I picked up my Dual Sport Manxter Kit from them in 2008, I had my yellow short wheelbase buggy (it now a Kick Out body on it). First thing out of Bruce's mouth was "Another F*cking Oak Street Buggy" when he saw it on the buggy rack on the back of my truck. The business was one of the company that was copying Bruce's designs (including the Tow'd) that Bruce sued and lost.
I just sold the Dual Sport a few months back

This is my Kick Out which when built in 1970 by my Dad had a Kellison body on it. After a few years I changed it out the the Oak Street body, and then in 2009 built a Kick Out with it.
The lifting top on the Kick Out I copied from the Manxter. I did it first before anyone to make it easier for me to get in and out of. Several others have copied my idea and made there own refinement to original design.

Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage/contemporary nostalgic built dunebuggy pictures Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage/contemporary nostalgic built dunebuggy pictures Reply with quote

Ok Caleb, Can you name Bruce's wife in the picture of Old Red?
You have six choices and it is not Winnie.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage/contemporary nostalgic built dunebuggy pictures Reply with quote

jsturtlebuggy wrote:
Ok Caleb, Can you name Bruce's wife in the picture of Old Red?
You have six choices and it is not Winnie.

I spent way too much time researching the period buggies to not know that one. It's Shirley! I'd recognize that smile anywhere. Here she is too!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage/contemporary nostalgic built dunebuggy pictures Reply with quote

calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage/contemporary nostalgic built dunebuggy pictures Reply with quote

BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage/contemporary nostalgic built dunebuggy pictures Reply with quote

That's me on my camel
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage/contemporary nostalgic built dunebuggy pictures Reply with quote

You may be cool,

But you will never be Nelson Riding a Camel beside his Manx in Egypt by the Sphinx Cool.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Meco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage/contemporary nostalgic built dunebuggy pictures Reply with quote

Word.
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage/contemporary nostalgic built dunebuggy pictures Reply with quote

Those are two of my favorite buggy photos. Nelson, you are the man!
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage/contemporary nostalgic built dunebuggy pictures Reply with quote

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage/contemporary nostalgic built dunebuggy pictures Reply with quote

Don't ya just love them tires!! Very Happy
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage/contemporary nostalgic built dunebuggy pictures Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Don't ya just love them tires!! Very Happy

I love them! Still looking for a set (shameless plug): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2254579
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage/contemporary nostalgic built dunebuggy pictures Reply with quote

I think somebody still makes those tires but I can't remember who. Maybe look in the off-road forums.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage/contemporary nostalgic built dunebuggy pictures Reply with quote

Jennepher Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage/contemporary nostalgic built dunebuggy pictures Reply with quote

Oh, hi Tom Selleck.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
If your post begins "I know this is against the rules but..." just stop typing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage/contemporary nostalgic built dunebuggy pictures Reply with quote

Jennepher wrote:
Oh, hi Tom Selleck.

"My mustache gets so many questions he has his own agent now." - Tom Selleck Laughing
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage/contemporary nostalgic built dunebuggy pictures Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 26

Jump to: