Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Allstate custom trailer build
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Allstate custom trailer build Reply with quote

We picked up a 1950 Allstate single wheel trailer from the original owner a few weeks back. It had been converted to a garden mulch and leaf trailer plywood box and was sold because the owner got a new car with a plastic bumper and could no longer attach the trailer to his car. The tag says it's a model 231-508.

We got it home and completely disassembled it cleaning at least a couple of tubes of grease off of the pivot assembly.

The aluminum wheel halves had issues as did the pivot and the axle. It had been used on a very regular basis. Here are a couple of pictures of the wheel before being repaired, and the pivot points after being rebushed.

There are four of these tiny cone shaped studs and matching cups for them to align into on each wheel half.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here you can see the cone shaped stud and the matching cup on either side of the bolt hole.

Here you can see the wheel halves were aligned and bolted together without these cones and cups being aligned thereby cracking the wheel at the bolt holes.

The hub also had a crack.

The wheel halves are held together with 6 3/8" bolts. Here you can see the two halves (one that we started to clean up)

The pivot assembly was ovaled out and very sloppy. The 3/4" rolled steel pin had been replaced at some point. We slightly drilled out the axle and pivot holes to 7/8" and pressed in a 1/16" thick bronze sleeve to get the pin back to 3/4". A quick pass with a 3/4" king pin reamer and we now have a very nice fitting joint for the pivot and the axle shaft.

As the build progresses I'll post more pictures.

Last edited by nlorntson on Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving along on this restoration, with the aluminum wheels, I found the SKF Part number mentioned in a different post to be wrong for this aluminum wheel. The one referenced in a different post (SKF 11618) was too small in diameter (30mm ID x 45mm OD). This hub takes a 50mm OD.

the correct part was SKF 11284

Inside diameter - 1.125"
Outside diameter - 1.938"
Thickness (width) - .625"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the spring assembly, the top rubber bumper was pretty shot and broke into four pieces, so I had to find a suitable replacement.

I was amazed to find locally this piece (the part number is BC-3). It's about an 1/8" larger OD than the one that was on there but it fits just fine. The dimensions are:

2-1/4" O.D., 3/8" I.D., 11/16" Thick. The hole was too small and had to be drilled out.

They also carry a similar size (BC-4) but it seemed to be much smaller than what I took off so I went with the larger one.

The local source is http://www.metrommp.com/ but it looks like they have a variety of distributors.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Allstate frame, I sandblasted it and the arms, and coated it with UV resistant black POR15.

The body of the trailer will be made of Aluminum. A 54" x 44" basket made of 1" square tubing and a bottom of oak slats.

vintagevwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice progress. Like the direction your going also. That has already been a lot of work to get it back to road ready, you must ready want a trailer. Lol
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the finished product:

I did the Allstate frame portion, hubby did the aluminum basket and Dad did the solid wood slats for the bottom.

A real special family project and I'm really pleased with how it turned out.
vintagevwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purty neat. I like it. Rim looks cool all shiney down there.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vintagevwnut wrote:
Purty neat. I like it. Rim looks cool all shiney down there.

Yep, I guess some of the Allstate's (not the Trailcar versions) have an aluminum wheel and with a little elbow grease they polish up very nicely.

My favorite parts are the VW's around the sides Smile
vintagevwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had allstates with both steel and aluminum rims.

The VW's on the sides are neat till they come after you for copyright infringement. Lol.
AngieB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Allstate custom trailer build Reply with quote

where did you get the rim? mine is shot..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: