Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CHT Nirvana (cylinder head temperature) gauge/sender FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: CHT Nirvana (cylinder head temperature) gauge/sender FAQ Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
pierrox wrote:
asiab3 wrote:
On my personal bus I run it on an exhaust stud and forget about it.

SGKent wrote:
The problem on the T4 head is it is very hard to find a good spot to mount it other than a plug, unlike the T1 head.

I haven't installed mine yet and I'm not dead set on the plug. What's the temp difference on an exhaust stud? Where else is a good place on a T1 head?

There will be a large difference in numbers from plug to EGT monitoring; the big point I try to make clear is that a CHT gauge is best used for tracking trends on your personal engine. So if you mount the sensor on an exhaust stud, you should only compare numbers with yourself and other people that also have it mounted on their exhaust stud. You should learn what’s normal for your bus around town, on the freeway, or floored up a long hill. Once you know what your engine usually puts out, you can monitor the gauge for unusual readings. See a spike? Investigate.

I run a CHT gauge to monitor the following:
If a bag or towel is sucked into my fan, the temps go up instantly.
If I get bad gas and a little bit of inaudible pinging, the temps go up noticeably.
If I have a fuel delivery issue and the engine starts running lean, temps go up drastically.

All of those are catchable regardless of where you mount the sender. The only difference is how quickly the gauge responds, and how close to actual head temperature you get. Under the spark plug has proven to read most accurate with the fastest response times. I tried four other locations and settled on the exhaust stud because it’s easy to get to, consistent, VERY close to the spark plug in running conditions, and reacts very quickly to change in combustion temperature. One caveat includes idle timing: if you have a timing setting of 0 degrees or anything more retarded, you will see a temp spike at idle that does not actually exist in the cylinder head. This is from the spark happening so late that the heads are cooling off and shedding the heat and combustion reaction into the exhaust. As soon as you get moving again the spike subsides instantly.

Pick whatever location you want.
Robbie

Engines saved with a cht gauge: 1
Number of nice days ruined by scary numbers: 99

We've been running the sender under the nut at the upper exhaust stud near #3 for the last 2k miles. It's hard to know what to make of the numbers since they're both under an exhaust stud and right in the dump flow of air from the oil cooler but oddly they're not radically different from what others post....though we have a 1600SP and most other posters have a Type 4 of some kind. Anyway, depending on headwind, outside temp, or whether we're flogging the motor a bit, cruise temps are b/w 365 and 400. Hill climbing can send it up to 425 at most. Is that what you see, Robbie?

In any case, even with the sender "out of position", we were able to benefit from its readings and what we know of its general trend.Today, the gauge started flashing 450 at a relatively gentle cruise. In the end, after a bunch of hunting and diagnosing based on the CHT reading and the hesitation and lack of power we'd been feeling, we were able to find that the spring that connects the vacuum canister to the advance plate in the distributor had popped off the can end.

So even without an absolute #, the variation from our normal trend alerted us to a serious issue.

Engines saved with a cht gauge: 2
Number of nice days ruined by scary numbers: 98

'70 Riviera. 1904cc w/ 40mm Dellortos, 019 distributor, Steve Tims “super stock” 37x32 heads, Web Cam 218, Vintage Speed SS143 Super Speed exhaust, 1 1/2” heater boxes
LazyLightning75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: CHT Nirvana (cylinder head temperature) gauge/sender FAQ Reply with quote

I have an older dial style VDO CHT gauge that I want to hook up for kicks and giggles. I bought the 18’ Dakota Digital CHT sender wire in the pic below. The ring terminals will work on the gauge. Question for you - are you aware of any compatibility issues with the VDO gauge and the DD sender wire before I run the wiring? Will this mix and match work?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ebehne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: CHT Nirvana (cylinder head temperature) gauge/sender FAQ Reply with quote

For the past year-and-a-half or so I've been running the DD CHT gauge on my '71 bus. I've got a relatively stock 1600 DP, 34pict3 carb, working thermostat/flaps, etc. The thermocouple hot junction is run under the #3 spark plug.

I do a lot of round trip journeys in the 180 mile range along the same route at various times of day. Most of the time I take the trip down during the day and the ambient temperature is relatively hot (80-90deg F) and then return late at night and it's much cooler (40-60 deg F).

My CHT readings are relatively consistent with other people on this forum using this same setup, but one thing that I have noticed is that my CHT readings seem to trend higher by about 20-30 degrees when it's cold at night and I'm running the heater. Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks
Eric
pierrox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: CHT Nirvana (cylinder head temperature) gauge/sender FAQ Reply with quote

71 bus, so upright engine. That sort of makes sense since the heater "steals" air from the fan. In a way it's not so bad as the engine has to be within a certain temp to be happy.
Ebehne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: CHT Nirvana (cylinder head temperature) gauge/sender FAQ Reply with quote

Yes it is an upright engine. I get what you’re saying, but does the heater actually flow more air through the heater tubes vs. over the cylinder heads when it’s on? I don’t think this is the case. Assuming that the thermostat is fully open (largest amount of air able to flow to the cylinder heads), all you’re doing by manipulating the heater control is either directing the air overboard or closing the flap in the heat exchanger boxes to send the hot air up to the cabin.

The only difference I can potentially see the heater making is that the cold outside air is going to be a better heat sink to pull heat from the hot exhaust/heat exchanges as compared to the cabin (particularly after the cabin/heater piping starts to warm up after 10-20minutes on the freeway).
a-marshal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: CHT Nirvana (cylinder head temperature) gauge/sender FAQ Reply with quote

Maybe not Nirvana but I'm quite pleased with my home made Arduino based gauge. If I acutally make version II THAT will be Nirvana.

For this unit I used an Arduino UNO, 3 Analog thermocouple amplifiers (Adafruit AD8495). a 1.3" OLED display (Adafruit product 938) and some
cheapo Type K thermocouples and wire from ebay.

I was pretty thorough in the testing.. after running through a bunch of other things I finally mounted the sensors to a destroyed head and put the whole thing in the gas grill and ran the temp up to 500 degrees.. I'm pretty confident that they are reading accurately enough.

The first photo is ambient temp the other morning..

and the second pic is today after idling in the driveway for 30 minutes or so as I messed with the carbs. As I watch the temps rise, they both top out in the 250 range with cylinder 3 running around 10 degrees warmer than cylinder 1. It takes Cylinder 3 5 or so minutes longer to get to temp and I'm not sure if that is due to the choke holding closed longer( which it is) or something to do with the thermostat flaps.

If I can find a colour display that I can read in the daylight I'll make version II, since I have some more space in memory on the Arduino I may add to the code .. a better data smoothing method for sure and maybe even another sensor or two ...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: CHT Nirvana (cylinder head temperature) gauge/sender FAQ Reply with quote

a-marshal wrote:
Maybe not Nirvana but I'm quite pleased with my home made Arduino based gauge. If I acutally make version II THAT will be Nirvana.

For this unit I used an Arduino UNO, 3 Analog thermocouple amplifiers (Adafruit AD8495). a 1.3" OLED display (Adafruit product 938) and some

I was pretty thorough in the testing.. after running through a bunch of other things I finally mounted the sensors to a destroyed head and put the whole thing in the gas grill and ran the temp up to 500 degrees.. I'm pretty confident that they are reading accurately enough.

and the second pic is today after idling in the driveway for 30 minutes or so as I messed with the carbs. As I watch the temps rise, they both top out in the 250 range with cylinder 3 running around 10 degrees warmer than cylinder 1. It takes Cylinder 3 5 or so minutes longer to get to temp and I'm not sure if that is due to the choke holding closed longer( which it is) or something to do with the thermostat flaps.

If I can find a colour display that I can read in the daylight I'll make version II, since I have some more space in memory on the Arduino I may add to the code .. a better data smoothing method for sure and maybe even another sensor or two ...

Very resourceful! Would be great to have one small screen you can mount discreetly that you switch between head temps, oil temps and AFR.
Beagledog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: CHT Nirvana (cylinder head temperature) gauge/sender FAQ Reply with quote

The link to German Supply’s write-up of how to install the Dakota Digital CHT sensor seem to be broke. Does anyone know where I can find that write-up?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: CHT GAUGE INSTALL Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
I prefer the DD set up as you can set it to "flash" at a desired temp. I don't watch it all of the time.

You need the correct DD sender and wire. Buy the 18' long one. THe install is as described here....

http://www.germansupply.com/xcart/customer/home.php?gspage=customer/main/tech/cht/cht_install.tpl

Anyone have these instructions saved or a working link?
(sold - but not forgotten)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: CHT Nirvana (cylinder head temperature) gauge/sender FAQ Reply with quote

try at archive.org. They have some pages there. You may have to try different dates until you find one that fully loads.
Sleepnone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: CHT GAUGE INSTALL Reply with quote

BUSBOSS wrote:
Randy in Maine wrote:
I prefer the DD set up as you can set it to "flash" at a desired temp. I don't watch it all of the time.

You need the correct DD sender and wire. Buy the 18' long one. THe install is as described here....

http://www.germansupply.com/xcart/customer/home.php?gspage=customer/main/tech/cht/cht_install.tpl

Anyone have these instructions saved or a working link?

All credit goes to SGKent for the idea. Unfortunately, only the first two pages of the old technical article on GermanSupply.com were archived. Hope this helps.

I installed my DD sender under my #3 cylinder today. The hand drawn instructions in this forum on how to bend the sender were very useful. Will finish running wire and installing the gauge next weekend.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PatJr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: CHT Nirvana (cylinder head temperature) gauge/sender FAQ Reply with quote

a-marshal wrote:

How is this working out?
Did you put the AD8495 amplifiers between the thermocouple and the UNO?

How did you power the UNO and other 3/5 volt sensors?

Thank You
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: CHT Nirvana (cylinder head temperature) gauge/sender FAQ Reply with quote

I thought I had added to this thread but I guess I didn’t. I did the poor man’s CHT by piecemeal off eBay. I haven’t driven Ducky yet but has run extended in the yard and it has worked out well. I did the ring under the #3 plug. When tested before install it was within a few degrees of my candy thermometer. He gauge is pretty basic, just CHT and ambient.

ImAddicted wrote:
This weekend's project (if it doesn't rain) will be Poor man's CHT Smile. A second k type lead should be here tomorrow with a 14mm ring terminal crimped on it. Think I will try that first, if it doesn't fly, I'll remove the probe and embed the thermocouple in the head.

Gauge: $13
k type extension (25'): $9
k type connector: $6
k type thermocouple with 14mm ring: $9
Total: $49

Now, let's see if it is going to work or be a steaming pile of crap Smile

ImAddicted wrote:
Ahhhahahahah. Don’t backfire importing will shoot out like a missile:)

Did a bench test tonight. The meter will run off 4.5-48v so I hooked it up to 9v and got out the candy thermometer for comparison. Top number is temp at the gauge (ambient temp) and bottom is the sensor.

First in a cup of water with 3 ice cubes after the cup sat for 10 minutes to stabilize. Slight variation but the kitchen probe was resting in one of the cubes.

Then in a saucepan of unfiltered well water at rolling boil (we have relatively high mineral content from our dug well).

208.3F, excuse the condensation, it is 208, not 203.

Gauge drops the decimal at 100F

Will test again when get ring terminal thermocouple. I’m cautiously Optimistic.

Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
PatJr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: CHT Nirvana (cylinder head temperature) gauge/sender FAQ Reply with quote

Thank You for the follow up
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: CHT Nirvana (cylinder head temperature) gauge/sender FAQ Reply with quote

Since this seems to be the most complete thread on CHT install, I'll put my question (which I still have after reading many threads) here.

Where are people routing their thermocouple wire? Up through the spark plug hole seems like less than an ideal choice.

Photo during install:

My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PatJr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: CHT Nirvana (cylinder head temperature) gauge/sender FAQ Reply with quote

I just slip the cht ring over the top of the spark plug. I couldn't get a reliable seal between the spark plug and the head. I also just slit the plug boot so I could try and keep the cht wire away from the tin.

I don't think I get proper reading on that thing in any case. I have come to for cht ignorance might be bliss. TheEZGZ says he doesn't use a cht.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: CHT Nirvana (cylinder head temperature) gauge/sender FAQ Reply with quote

many notch the head and take the wire out under the tin in a safe spot.

I found that the spark plug washer is tapered and that taper pushes the sender outwards until it is an oval, then it leaks. Taking the washer off, and using the sender as the washer gave me a better seal and stopped the distortion of the sender that occurs. Keep in mind that a hotter spark plug will result in lower observed heat temps while a colder spark plug will result in higher head temps. A colder plug tip conducts more heat to the head than a hotter plug tip. A hotter tip plug retains more heat in the tip.
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: CHT Nirvana (cylinder head temperature) gauge/sender FAQ Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
many notch the head and take the wire out under the tin in a safe spot.

I found that the spark plug washer is tapered and that taper pushes the sender outwards until it is an oval, then it leaks. Taking the washer off, and using the sender as the washer gave me a better seal and stopped the distortion of the sender that occurs. Keep in mind that a hotter spark plug will result in lower observed heat temps while a colder spark plug will result in higher head temps. A colder plug tip conducts more heat to the head than a hotter plug tip. A hotter tip plug retains more heat in the tip.

Interesting that you use the ring as the washer. I opted to take the washer off, put the ring on and then put the washer back on the plug. Seems to be doing the job with no leaks (I pre-bend the tab on the ring so it's ready to fit in the head).

Pre-installation temp tests show my setup reads hot, as it does after installation too, but it is very consistent on the road -which is what I've thought the goal really is with these plug sensors.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: CHT Nirvana (cylinder head temperature) gauge/sender FAQ Reply with quote

eric the problem I had is that the plug washers are not flat, they are wider in the center and taper to the outside. The ring has a little gap between it and the plug. That combination would expand the ring a little. After the plugs were removed about four ir five times the ring would be so expanded or ovaled it would leak. Since the head has a square shoulder, and the plug has a square shoulder, I just got rid of the sealing washer on the plug the sender is on. I know that it was leaking before I did this because I found carbon traces in the plug threads all the way up. That leakage will also cause the sender to run hot. To be 100% thoughtful on this subject, I am not sure if we are reading head temps or plug temps right at the head. Meaning an inch or two away head temps could be much lower.
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: CHT Nirvana (cylinder head temperature) gauge/sender FAQ Reply with quote

I'll definitely be paying attention to this the next time I remove the plugs. Perhaps I have not taken them out enough times yet.

I agree on the error of temp we're measuring, so many variables(and opinions). I find even the temp of the weather makes a visible difference in the gauge reading. Which is why always focus on the trend. Once I knew where the head temp sat on various weather days, headwinds, and grades, I felt comfortable with the gauge readings and look for the abnormal ones.

Thanks for clarifying Steve.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 18

Jump to: