Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Photos @ Road Side Attractions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Photos @ Road Side Attractions Reply with quote

Not everyday you can park next to a Lancaster Bomber!
They had pulled it outside the museum (Bomber Command Museum of Canada, Nanton) to run up the engines.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Photos @ Road Side Attractions Reply with quote

The Oregon Coast dinosaur appears to be a popular stop - sadly, I missed out on the Paul Bunyan statue a little south of this.

.....and Moran State Park entrance on Orcas Island in WA

Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Photos @ Road Side Attractions Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Not everyday you can park next to a Lancaster Bomber!
They had pulled it outside the museum (Bomber Command Museum of Canada, Nanton) to run up the engines.

Awesome! Those planes are amazing creatures. Very Happy
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Photos @ Road Side Attractions Reply with quote

I've always wanted to see one and there it was as we were driving to Calgary, surprise! The plane is really different compared to the B-17's my Dad flew.
The bomber is being restored into a replica of the "Dam Busters" Lancaster. Even has a spinning barrel bomb underneath.
A really nice little museum with great displays and lots of info. Worth a visit to Nanton if you're in the area.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Photos @ Road Side Attractions Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
I've always wanted to see one and there it was as we were driving to Calgary, surprise! The plane is really different compared to the B-17's my Dad flew.
The bomber is being restored into a replica of the "Dam Busters" Lancaster. Even has a spinning barrel bomb underneath.
A really nice little museum with great displays and lots of info. Worth a visit to Nanton if you're in the area.

Oh, Nanton! We might be playing the Shady Grove Bluegrass Festival outside Nanton next summer - I'll keep the place in mind.

My uncle Robert was a navigator on Lancs in WWII. They had one as an exhibit near the lakeshore in Toronto when I was a kid - I spent many happy hours climbing on it! Shocked Cool
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Photos @ Road Side Attractions Reply with quote

Dambusters weapon background below. Some PBS show (found it--Nova's episode called "Bombing Hitler's Dams") did a recreation of the design, construction and testing since detailed records had been lost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS2-QyzaS1U

Last edited by campism on Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:18 am; edited 1 time in total
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Photos @ Road Side Attractions Reply with quote

FIFY... Wink
campism wrote:
Dambusters weapon background below. Some PBS show (Nova?) did a recreation of the design, construction and testing since detailed records had been lost.

Link

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Photos @ Road Side Attractions Reply with quote

A Canadian documentary about the mission recreated the drop with a DC4.
I tried to find a link to the doc but could only find a few youtubes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzqJ42gCDcU

Warning bad language!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IeGYkwVIWw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JEleN3VMeE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJGY6ao-V9E

Needforspace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Photos @ Road Side Attractions Reply with quote

This is the world's tallest moose, until they do some adjustments on the one in Canada to make it taller. Very Happy Laughing
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Photos @ Road Side Attractions Reply with quote

On a trip through Maine we saw a moose made of chocolate in a shop but van pix from the trip have no moose in them and moose pix from the trip have no van in them.

And I do not mean "mousse;" the one we saw was a life size moose statue carved out of chocolate.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Photos @ Road Side Attractions Reply with quote

campism wrote:
...the one we saw was a life size moose statue carved out of chocolate.

"That's what I like about you, Wyatt, you can talk yourself into anything."
-- Doc Holliday

Wink

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Photos @ Road Side Attractions Reply with quote

While circumnavigating Lake Superior we saw a life-size fiberglass moose posed in front of a gas station. As we approached, the 'fake' moose lurched out into the roadway in front of the Westy, requiring a bit of enthusiastic braking.

I really wish the Canucks would bolt those things down ...

https://campwestfalia.com/a-superior-state-of-mind-day-1/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Photos @ Road Side Attractions Reply with quote

Jeffrey Lee wrote:

While circumnavigating Lake Superior we saw a life-size fiberglass moose posed in front of a gas station. As we approached, the 'fake' moose lurched out into the roadway in front of the Westy, requiring a bit of enthusiastic braking.

This interactive art thing is getting out of hand! Very Happy

campism wrote:
On a trip through Maine we saw a moose made of chocolate in a shop but van pix from the trip have no moose in them and moose pix from the trip have no van in them.

And I do not mean "mousse;" the one we saw was a life size moose statue carved out of chocolate.

As a sculptor of chocolate myself I have got to see this!! Please PM me a photo if you don’t think it’ll stick here (w/o a Vanagon in it). Mark

Edit - Oops, sometimes I forget I’m on the internet Rolling Eyes . Search found what looks to be a life size chocolate moose. Can’t be too many of those about...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Photos @ Road Side Attractions Reply with quote

If you found "Lenny" that was it.

Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Photos @ Road Side Attractions Reply with quote

campism wrote:

I sometimes enjoy mousse, but some of that chocolate is bearly edible ...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Photos @ Road Side Attractions Reply with quote

Jeffrey Lee wrote:

I've lived in the Upper Pen. now for 4 years and am yet to see a moose on any of my voyages out and about! Yet to see a black bear either!
kendalwoolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Photos @ Road Side Attractions Reply with quote

On some back road in Southern Ohio

86 Vanagon, 1.8 Digifant http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=513537
"but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal." Matthew 6:20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mtnride1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Photos @ Road Side Attractions Reply with quote

Polo fields in Indio CA. Site of Coachella Fest

Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Photos @ Road Side Attractions Reply with quote

Went for a little jaunt this afternoon for ice cream and couldn't resist snapping a roadside pic of this Boeing C-97G, parked on the lawn in front of a theme-room motel. Before landing in its home here, the plane "... had been used to film car commercials starring actress Farrah Fawcett and a live cougar for the Lincoln Mercury Cougar XR-7. Farrah autographed the fuselage, though it has since been painted over."

http://www.cultofweird.com/americana/don-q-inn-plane/
https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/13530
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Photos @ Road Side Attractions Reply with quote

Jeffrey Lee wrote:

Went for a little jaunt this afternoon for ice cream and couldn't resist snapping a roadside pic of this Boeing C-97G, parked on the lawn in front of a theme-room motel. Before landing in its home here, the plane "... had been used to film car commercials starring actress Farrah Fawcett and a live cougar for the Lincoln Mercury Cougar XR-7. Farrah autographed the fuselage, though it has since been painted over."

http://www.cultofweird.com/americana/don-q-inn-plane/
https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/13530

Holy cow! You’re 8 miles from where my folks live. The Don Q Inn is legendary for being a crazy hotel (cave room, church steeple room, scary hot tubs and mirrors in the rooms, etc.).

I’ll bet the drive was beautiful. I’ll be there next Friday.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 18

Jump to: