Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Barndoors in Burma!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwspotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Barndoors in Burma! Reply with quote

Hi all

I stumbled upon these pics while having a random look on flickr, i wonder where the buses are now as the pics are all dated in 2006

See link below

http://www.flickr.com/photos/burmeset2/
RichOakley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burma. The new mecca for RHD BDs??

http://www.vw-online.co.uk/acatalog/Volkswagen_For_Sale.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burma is a cool spot for VW hunting. The military still uses split window buses and has large stocks of NOS parts. If you pay the right guy you can get just about any part you need.

While I was there I stopped a guy driving an early single cab and asked him where I could find parts. We had a tough time communicating through my taxi driver. I pointed to the pressed bumper of his truck asking if he knew where to find these types of parts. Within a couple minutes he was taking off the bumper with a crescent wrench....I gave him his asking price of $20 and we were both on our way.

I'll dig out some old photos including a moss covered BD.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

now that's a vacation

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

During my visit to Burma I saw a few dozen split window buses and trucks. All of them had safari windows. I also saw a side car moped that was outfitted with an early VW bus bubble taillight. Lots of cool stuff in Burma.

Here is the Burmese military bus:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here are a couple guys I hired to help me find pressed bumpers at the local "auto parts store":

Barndoor shots:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LJay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anchovy wrote:
During my visit to Burma I saw a few dozen split window buses and trucks. All of them had safari windows. I also saw a side car moped that was outfitted with an early VW bus bubble taillight. Lots of cool stuff in Burma.

Here is the Burmese military bus:

Here are a couple guys I hired to help me find pressed bumpers at the local "auto parts store":

Barndoor shots:

did ya not offer carlos there 50 bucks for the old rusty one!? Laughing Wink know i would have!

My build thread.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=742279
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tylergeddis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I wonder if they are still there.
Mike1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burmese bus now in UK, photographed at Stonor Park 2008

jborregoy2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoors in Burma! Reply with quote

Hi folks,

Bad news, I'm in Yangon and spoke with some locals that told me that cars before 2000 are banned to ride the streets. I haven't see a single old VW here, but I'll keep on looking!
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoors in Burma! Reply with quote

hard to believe that a country as poor and corrupt as myanmar suddenly got a hate on for old cars or did their economy suddenly improve? in most of the countries over there anything with wheels seems to compete for space on the road and they all seem to be fairly unconcerned about safety and the like.

lots of old merc's on the road in cambodia, would not be surprised to see other old german brethren too.

if old cars got banned does that not mean the value of these parts just plummeted? in which case i know where to spend my next vacation!
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoors in Burma! Reply with quote

Hey, it can happen here. California has proposed legislation to ban all ICE powered cars by 2040. You got 29 years to unload your collector cars.

And the "Green New Deal" would ban them even earlier.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoors in Burma! Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
Hey, it can happen here. California has proposed legislation to ban all ICE powered cars by 2040. You got 29 years to unload your collector cars.

And the "Green New Deal" would ban them even earlier.

you probably mean 21 years, but where does it say that the"green new deal" would ban all internal combustion engines? I looked online and did not see that?

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoors in Burma! Reply with quote

The authors state that the GND would like to replace every “combustion-engine vehicle” — trucks, airplanes, boats, and 99 percent of cars — within ten years. Charging stations for electric vehicles will be built “everywhere,” though how power plants will provide the energy needed to charge them is a mystery.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoors in Burma! Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
The authors state that the GND would like to replace every “combustion-engine vehicle” — trucks, airplanes, boats, and 99 percent of cars — within ten years. Charging stations for electric vehicles will be built “everywhere,” though how power plants will provide the energy needed to charge them is a mystery.

that is a bold plan. not a good one, but it is bold.... just imagine the 2 million passengers a day traveling on the road instead.

Electricity could be done if every house were to make it's own power i think. Not feasible in 10 years, but feasible with no real downside.

Uli

tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoors in Burma! Reply with quote

I will always, hope and trust that there will be an interest and desire to preserve some of our cars for their historical value. History has proven that if we eliminate all traces of the past we end up making the same mistakes all over again.

Daily, I encounter people who love seeing an old car-whatever make, still on the road. That enthusiasm translates into a desire to preserve the past.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoors in Burma! Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
I will always, hope and trust that there will be an interest and desire to preserve some of our cars for their historical value. History has proven that if we eliminate all traces of the past we end up making the same mistakes all over again.

Daily, I encounter people who love seeing an old car-whatever make, still on the road. That enthusiasm translates into a desire to preserve the past.

i am with you.

Uli

Mujaty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoors in Burma! Reply with quote

Apparently, there are still a lot of NOS early bus(some are for BD and post BD) parts still available at Chieng Rai , Thailand(North Of Thailand, border to Myanmar).Its believed all these NOS parts are from Myanmar, recently . Ive received many NOS parts photos , taking a peak of these items tomorrow . Hopefully its a genuine deal
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoors in Burma! Reply with quote

Yes? That would be cool to find a huge stash of NOS parts.

Please post some photos of all of the NOS parts so I can be amazed
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mujaty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoors in Burma! Reply with quote

HI Admin,

Would do shortly . But these photos are what i received via whats app, viewing them in person tomorrow

cheers

JK
Kais Collection Premium Member
vintage treasures

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoors in Burma! Reply with quote

Mujaty wrote:
HI Admin,

Would do shortly . But these photos are what i received via whats app, viewing them in person tomorrow

cheers

JK

Good luck, my friend!

Kai's Collection - vintage treasures
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: