Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

$9 Door step on door latch
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: $9 Door step on door latch Reply with quote

from the above photo is appears the hanger bracket has failed .

there is a tremendous amount of sheer force on that pivot point.. i'm sure it's a static load they are testing with. add in some g-force from angular movement and the dynamic forces stress the arm pivot joint past it's sheer point and it fails.

i wonder if it is cast versus machined from a quality grade of sheet material.

BiWerks Design, LLC
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: $9 Door step on door latch Reply with quote

Browsed around using OP amazon link and there seems to be a variety of manufacturers of this idea.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: $9 Door step on door latch Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Browsed around using OP amazon link and there seems to be a variety of manufacturers of this idea.

Yeah I found several 4.5 star + ones. HOWEVER - running these through Fakespot.com shows the reviews are fake.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: $9 Door step on door latch Reply with quote

I saw one of these pop up on facebook and made me realize that I never received my door step!

I look on ebay and the seller is deleted. I opened up a paypal claim and got my money back.

Maybe its a sign I don't need this product.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: $9 Door step on door latch Reply with quote

Yeah, I never got mine either and received a refund.

I'll take it as a sign I didn't need it.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: $9 Door step on door latch Reply with quote

Me too, eBay refunded me.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: $9 Door step on door latch Reply with quote

Interesting. When I reflect on it, a couple of these breaking are going to seriously hurt people. I doubt many of us are agile enough to recover from a step breaking with a steel roof under our chin. Next to happen is you fall on the edge of the roof with your chest and upper body bounces backward away from the van while feet are going into the vehicle, preventing you getting them under you. The result is a fall that's a liability lawyer's nightmare. Onto the kind of surface you park a car on - hard, and falling backward from a height of 3 feet or better. A formula for serious head injuries at worst, broken wrist/elbow/ribs and a concussion at best.

Bummer as it's a great idea if made uber sturdy. Someone should look up the product's history with injuries on some government site...
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Forthwithtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: $9 Door step on door latch Reply with quote

Love my setup. Couldn't be happier. If I want to be standing in my roof rack in 5 seconds, I'm there.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=100

'84 GL with 2001/2004 Subaru 2.5L
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: