Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

barndoor transmission
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shane morgan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: barndoor transmission Reply with quote

Hello fellow vw bus enthusiasts. I am on here hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. I have a 54 single cab. Im looking to replace the rear transmission. the original is sitting in the back of the bed and definately seen better days. what do you folks do when you cant use the original? i know the torsions are and inch and a half more narrow then post 55 later buses. beetle trannys will bolt right in but im not looking to lower this truck. i want to keep the stock height. can someone please help?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: barndoor transmission Reply with quote

what part has seen better days? the center section, or the reduction boxes?

find yourself an early (53 and later) beetle transaxle, have the ring gear flipped, and install your barn door reduction boxes...viola!

or are you missing the barn door reduction boxes?
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: barndoor transmission Reply with quote

Hey Shane, do you have the axles still and are they usable? I was talking with Jeff about this trans a while back for my 55 but the numbers turned out to make it a 54. Might be able to make it work for your truck if you have axles?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2024427
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: barndoor transmission Reply with quote

Hey Shane,
Talk to Dennis at Valley VW in Drums, PA.
Not far from you, and he knows his way around transaxles.
Did my 60 Kombi and 55 Baja Barndoor. Very happy with his work.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: