Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My possibly backwards coil
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TryMy66VDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: My possibly backwards coil Reply with quote

So here it goes...the car was like this when I bought it and it’ll crank n run as long as I pour gas n the carb. Someone said my coil is hooked up backwards. Help me get it straightened out please. If u have pics of yours ran correctly, I’d appreciate it greatly. I don’t do do well with just diagrams. Its a 66 wthats been converted to 12volt. Thanks n advance
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Some people like cucumbers better pickled. If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with mesothelioma, please get help. Mesothelioma is the #1 cause for death in men and women.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My possibly backwards coil Reply with quote

It's the same answer as before, ignition wire goes to 15. The wire to the cutoff valve and choke also goes to 15.

Wire to condensor goes on 1.

Done. Ain't nothing to it but to do it.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My possibly backwards coil Reply with quote

I will only run when you drown the carb with gas because the idle cut off is hooked up to the wrong side of the coil.

Just hook it up as instructed above. This isn't rocket math.
don1357
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My possibly backwards coil Reply with quote

The coil needs electicity to feed the spark plugs, so an electric wire from the ignition, 12v, goes on the side with the number 15.

Your carburettor has a cutoff valve that also requires a 12v, so it is also connected to number 15 on the coil. Mind you, it has no specific need to be connected to the coil, it is just convenient as that electric cable turns on with the ignition, which is when that cutoff valve needs to be powered.

The condensor on the distributor connects to the other end of the coil, labeled #1.

And the big fat cable goes to the middle of the distributor.

Mind you, the problem may be a bad cutoff valve. Once you wire it correctly turn the ignition switch, go to the carburettor and disconnect/reconnect the cutoff valve. You should hear a clicking. If you don't it is not letting gas get into the carburetor so it would only work if you mama eskimo gas into it yourself.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My possibly backwards coil Reply with quote

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
TryMy66VDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My possibly backwards coil Reply with quote

Would you happen to have a picture of how yours is ran? I’m normally pretty decent at mechanics n stuff but wiring freaks me out bad. I always feel like I’m gunna short everything out.

sjbartnik wrote:
It's the same answer as before, ignition wire goes to 15. The wire to the cutoff valve and choke also goes to 15.

Wire to condensor goes on 1.

Done. Ain't nothing to it but to do it.

Some people like cucumbers better pickled. If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with mesothelioma, please get help. Mesothelioma is the #1 cause for death in men and women.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My possibly backwards coil Reply with quote

Don't sweat it. I can see the terminal numbers printed on your coil from here! (in your pictures) Very Happy

Make sure the key is off before proceeding. You can't fry anything if the key is off - key is off = no power flowing to coil.

Plug all the wires onto the side marked "15" except for the single wire that goes to the condenser on the side of the distributor.

That's it.

If it helps you see the terminals better, you can unbolt the coil (clamp and all) from the fan housing.
TryMy66VDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My possibly backwards coil Reply with quote

Thanks man
!! Can’t b put any easier than that.
sjbartnik wrote:
Don't sweat it. I can see the terminal numbers printed on your coil from here! (in your pictures) Very Happy

Make sure the key is off before proceeding. You can't fry anything if the key is off - key is off = no power flowing to coil.

Plug all the wires onto the side marked "15" except for the single wire that goes to the condenser on the side of the distributor.

That's it.

If it helps you see the terminals better, you can unbolt the coil (clamp and all) from the fan housing.

TryMy66VDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My possibly backwards coil Reply with quote

So the condenser is the wire coming from the bottom of the distributor?
sjbartnik wrote:

That's it.

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My possibly backwards coil Reply with quote

TryMy66VDub wrote:
sjbartnik wrote:

That's it.

Yes.
It's usually a green wire. But sometimes they are black or yellow.
Or if there is a PO hack, RED! Twisted Evil

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
TryMy66VDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My possibly backwards coil Reply with quote

So I think I got it. Along with removing rust from coil. Does this look ugh? Can I put power to it now?

67rustavenger wrote:
TryMy66VDub wrote:
sjbartnik wrote:

That's it.

Yes.
It's usually a green wire. But sometimes they are black or yellow.
Or if there is a PO hack, RED! Twisted Evil

Good Luck.

TryMy66VDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My possibly backwards coil Reply with quote

Black ignition- +1
Black( maybe green) coming from bottom distributor +15
+15 wire going to carb

rcooled wrote:
It's really not clear what's connected to what in your photos.

Just run the wires as shown in Cusser's post above. So as not to confuse you even further, I've removed the back-up light circuit from the diagram.

It really can't be explained any more clearly than this...

TryMy66VDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My possibly backwards coil Reply with quote

Sorry, correction——distribrter +1
Carb +15
Black ignition wire-+15
TryMy66VDub wrote:
Black ignition- +1
+15 wire going to carb

rcooled wrote:

Just run the wires as shown in Cusser's post above. So as not to confuse you even further, I've removed the back-up light circuit from the diagram.

TryMy66VDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My possibly backwards coil Reply with quote

I’m about to try it...pray for me electric ⚡️
TryMy66VDub wrote:
Carb +15
Black ignition wire-+15
TryMy66VDub wrote:
Black ignition- +1
+15 wire going to carb

rcooled wrote:

Luft kühl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My possibly backwards coil Reply with quote

sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: My possibly backwards coil Reply with quote

TryMy66VDub wrote:
Carb +15
Black ignition wire-+15

Yes this is correct
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: My possibly backwards coil Reply with quote

Did it start?
TryMy66VDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: My possibly backwards coil Reply with quote

It did start and ran great!! Just gotta get throttle cable n I b good! Man I appreciate y’all a help fareal!!

calvinater wrote:
Did it start?

TryMy66VDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: My possibly backwards coil Reply with quote

So it doesn’t run great.....it does however fire right up. It’s like it’s flooding out or something. I have to pump the gas to keep it running. Any insight on that one?

calvinater wrote:
Did it start?

sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: My possibly backwards coil Reply with quote

I mean there are a million possibilities, vacuum leaks, choke adjustment, ignition timing, etc etc.

One of the easiest things is to check whether your electromagnetic cutoff valve on the carb works. That's the cylindrical device on the left side of the carb with the wire going to it.

That wire should go to terminal 15 on the coil (same one as the ignition wire).

What that device is is a solenoid-operated plunger. When you turn the key on, it retracts a plunger from the idle fuel circuit so the engine can run at idle.

When you turn the key off, the plunger springs back to plug the idle circuit. The idea behind this device was to prevent the engine from running on (dieseling) after the key was turned off.

To make sure it's working, turn the key on and carefully pull the wire off the cutoff valve (don't let it touch any ground points).

Then touch the wire to the terminal on the cutoff valve. You should hear it click as the plunger retracts. If you don't hear it click it may be dead.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: