Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Got my delivery of metal Friday, but wasn't able to begin assessing the rot on the truck until yesterday afternoon.
Decided since I need to replace the lower inner valance and driver side floor pan that I would begin with the nose as it might give me some insight to the floor.
My understanding is that the inner valance is two pieces stacked, spot welded together. With all the rust I have along the bottom of the valance, it its difficult for me to see the spot welds, so what I decided to do what basically separate the valance to allow for more visibility dissecting the rust.
I'm working from underneath the truck, drilling the spot welds that are visible and coming along from the top with my air chisel. So far it's working well, just a timely process removing the rot while keeping mind not to destroy everything the new valance will need to weld to in time.
Anyone have any advice of making this job any easier feel free to share.

Initial cut of the lower nose section to remove the rot.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I decided that since the replacement panel is a little crude around the lower turn signal openings, and mine being solid, to cut around them, using the originals and welding the new skin just the sides of the openings.
I'm still assessing what to do about where the front valance is welded to the chassis rails, as I don't want to destroy this area for the new metal.

With the weather nice yesterday afternoon, my girlfriend hung out around the shop, painting, while with the bay doors open, I began cutting away on the truck. She captured some cool pictures, and caught witness to my dad and I discussing the best route to tearing out the old and rotten, to make room for the new metal.

Glad to have my dad around, he isn't the most mechanically minded, but sensible and logical when working out problems and it's great to be able to have the time with him to work these things out. An extra pair of eyes and ideas really help to make sense of this stuff, because as mentioned, I don't know what I'm doing.
Going to be doing a lot of "cutting teeth"....

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Basketcase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Looks like you're figuring it out OK. It's good Dad wants to be there, and good you want him there. Enjoy the time together.
Jack_O_Trades
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Not to nitpick, but if your doing a lot of abrasive cutting and grinding around your other vehicles, I would consider getting them covered in some welding blankets. I have made this mistake and ruined the glass in my other vehicles from the hot slag from the grinder embedding itself in the windows of the adjacent vehicles. It’s happened to me a couple of time and seems to be more an issue with the glass, than the body/paint.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

No nitpicking, you’re speaking on behalf of common sense.
I certainly don’t want to ruin any glass in my buses.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

A break from metal work!!!
Asking opinions guys, I’m considering getting a quality long block for the Doka. Possibly picking up a rebuilt tranmission.
What size engine, for reliability and comfort should I be considering?
1776/1915/2007/2110?
Robbie, should I be looking at a stock 1600?!
I’m not worried about crazy horsepower or torque, just comfort and confidence driving hours at a time going to shows and camping.
Let’s hear it, I’d like to know from those who have experienced a fresh engine in their buses, is the money for a fresh heart really where it’s at.
I intend this truck to be my bus for a long time. I think I’d like the peace of mind with a solid, worry-free engine.

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Jack_O_Trades wrote:
Not to nitpick, but if your doing a lot of abrasive cutting and grinding around your other vehicles, I would consider getting them covered in some welding blankets. I have made this mistake and ruined the glass in my other vehicles from the hot slag from the grinder embedding itself in the windows of the adjacent vehicles. It’s happened to me a couple of time and seems to be more an issue with the glass, than the body/paint.

I welded on a bracket to my material rack on my Dodge W-250. The welding was wire feed and about four feet away from the driver’s door. In about four minutes of intermittent welding, I did a great job of spatter-burning my sideview mirror and numerous pits in the glass of my driver side window.

I am super impressed by this, and am reminded of this educational experience every single damned time I look in that sideview mirror.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

I'll look over the Sage Green bus, it isn't as close as it appears to be in the photo, but point understood nonetheless.

Anyone have any insight on removing the inner valance where to attaches to the chassis rails, right above the bumper mounts?

advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
I'll look over the Sage Green bus, it isn't as close as it appears to be in the photo, but point understood nonetheless.

Anyone have any insight on removing the inner valance where to attaches to the chassis rails, right above the bumper mounts?

Just a few spot welds on the flanges of the chassis rails. Probably 4-5 on each side.
A bunch of vintage Japanese motorcycles
"Much ingenuity with a little money is vastly more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity." -A. Bennett
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

advCo wrote:
SamboSamba22 wrote:

Just a few spot welds on the flanges of the chassis rails. Probably 4-5 on each side.

That’s more or less what I’m seeing, its just the welds are nice and tight, along with the amass of rust for 50 years, the two pieces seem rather “fitted”.
I’ll dive into some more in the upcoming days.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Came across WithTheFlow's build thread on his 70 bus, sharing the link to his front inner valance work for others and quick reference for myself on this thread.

https://youtu.be/HE3HGGMIX6E

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Found some time today to knock off some more rust and zip through the rot.
Once I figured out how to remove the Valance it became fairly clear what needed to be done. I am needing to weld in some patch metal into the lower A-pillars to give some solid, sealed corners to weld on the front valance.
Here stands the front nose as of this evening.

What proved to be more difficult was removing the driver side floor pan. It was toasty.

I decided to remove the rot in sections to keep it in order and to see clearly what I was doing. What I missed to realize was though I got it out with ruining anything underneath, I managed to cause havoc on the front section above the valance. Thinking I was only removing the floor I realized halfway I had zipped through the lower skin of the upper section running left to right from the A-pillars.

I slowed down and finished removing the floor pan. Work tomorrow will conclude of assessing and fitting the floor pan, and fabricating the lower pillar sections to weld in the front valance.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Tackled the inner valance today, with fresh metal I was able to bump up the heat on the welder and get things in place.
Using clamps to pinch between the valance and the chassis horns, I started on one end of the valance, working to the next end of the A-pillar before spot welding the top hat to the valance. I had to cut out the rot in the A-pillar sections and weld in some new metal before welding the front apron in.

Clampy-Clamp Time:

The ends welded to the A-pillars.

Yes, shoot me. It’s Klokkerholm metal. It’s all I found at the time of ordering.

I welded the valance from the back side to each chassis horn, along both flanges on each side, a bit heavier than factory, and also some plug welds.

And as the world just simply is demanding.....one freshly installed front valance!

To weld in the front apron (valance) to the driver side chassis horn, I had to remove the steering box, which I ended up operating unintentionally as I was removing it. This thing sounded like hell! I can’t think there is any oil in this box!
A bit roughly looking, part #211-415-105F. Wanting to either replace, repair, or seal this thing up. Anyone have any leads on an early, good steering box? Any leads for gaskets?

Tomorrow I intend to clean up a bit more inside the truck, preparing the replacement floor panel for fitment. There’s plenty to do, just trying to keep busy doing something everyday. I’m getting tired or developing an understanding of metal work, that’s still to be decided.

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Lookin' good, Sam!
It's amazing how far you've progressed in only six weeks.
You'll be driving it by June!

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Lookin' good, Sam!
It's amazing how far you've progressed in only six weeks.
You'll be driving it by June!

Thanks, Kent!
I’m hoping to pull through before shows the end of May!
Fingers crossed.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Tore apart the steering box today, found some thick old grease. Obviously water got in at some point, you can see some pitting on the top half of the work gear.

I sandblasted all the bits, ordered new seals, a gasket and a dust boot from Alan Schofield’s, be here in a week or so I imagine.
Also picked up some bearings though the race closest to the top of the worm gear coming out of the steering box is rough.
Anyone have any leads on races?

Having fooled with the box for a few hours, that grease was a freaking nightmare, I turned to the passenger side rocker.
FIRST AND FOREMOST!
Having now an air chisel and a nibbler this job was a breeze! Having the proper tools makes a huge difference. I was able to make quick work of the bottom rocker spot welds, detach the welds along the pillars, and then zip in with the nibbler to make a clean cut of the rotten original metal.
Out with the old, scrub everything down, hit with primer, and mocked up the new panel. I’m still needing to get a new section for the lower pillar reinforcement, before welding the new rocker in.

Noted from the wise, I got the seam to be welded a lot tighter, should allow for some nicer welds to be laid down.
Out

Primed:

Nice and tight:

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Yesterday mocked up again the side rear rocker, had to clear a little more of the original metal as I continued to fit the replacement panel and had a couple spots hitting.,
Not perfect, and anyone who's been welding for some time will see my mistakes, but overall I felt like I did well on this panel, the welds filled the two pieces nicely compared to my previous tack welding experience. Having a proper, smaller gap between the two sections being welded makes a huge difference, thank you for that tip guys.
I started with the top seam of the rocker, tacked it in a few spots removed the welding pinch clips, and continued along the seam. Once I had the top half down, I checked my lower lip where the rocker attaches to the inner rocker, and to my surprise was very nice and straight along the lower channel. I was thinking that beginning with the top and then have the lower section loose before welding, if any curvature were to cause any ripples or mess up on geometry, I'd be able to "pull" it out by adjusting the bottom removing the clamps before welding, but it looked really good.
A couple spots where my welds got a little tall, which I credit to my lack of familiarity but also poor lighting. I need to apply more lighting so I can see more with the mask on.
But here it is welded up, stitch welded across the top section to the original rocker, a couple sections where the rocker is welded to the rear pillar and the other plug welds being the horizontal seam of the floor metal and the lower inner rocker.

Overall I'm satisfied, the seam is straight, isn't wavy from heat or warping from poor fitment, it is much better than my first rocker install on the driver side, so improvements feel good.
Here it is with the welds knocked down.

I'm holding off to weld the seam working closer to the front of the rocker as I still need to address the rocker closer to the cargo door and am not sure exactly what all I'll need to do, so rather than working twice, or goofing something up, I'm holding off until I assess my battle plan and get to correcting that rust.

Going to continue to put time into the truck this week, going to dive into welding in the driver floor section, have the lower windshield rust to address (thank you Mustie1 for your videos!) and as mentioned above, the rust under the cargo door.
I'm looking to continue to become more familiar with the welder and seeing/feeling the welds before grafting the nose repair section onto the truck. Gotta get some more 75/25 and that's a good thing! Cool

Basketcase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

nice work!
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:

Did you replace the bottom of that pillar?
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
SamboSamba22 wrote:

Did you replace the bottom of that pillar?

I did not, I capped it off before splicing in a section of new horizontal flange just passed that pillar.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

I began to shape up the replacement metal for the lower windshield repair, before slicing the rot out of the way. I watched Mustie1 on YouTube, he's got a 3-series video in which he shows replacement of this commonly rusted area.
Ironically, he's using the same pieces I picked up from Bus Depot (Just Kampers UK Metal) which needs a lot of shaping.
So as you can see below, this consists of a lot of clamping and heating the metal and hammering it about, since I don't have a stretcher or any equipment to rework the replacement metal.

Once I was content with the shape of the metal, I removed it and used a metal nibbler to cut out the rust. I marked the windshield lip to give a guideline, and cut about a 1/4" inside that as I'm going to lip the new metal under the original line along the nose skin.
Here it is with the rot removed.

Little by little, still cutting my teeth with this metal work.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 22

Jump to: