Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Leak in my '71
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Fuel Leak in my '71 Reply with quote

Hi All, I searched but I'm still trying to determine the cause of a pretty big fuel leak yesterday in my '71. I filled up with gas before I started driving any real distance. I went a few miles down a fairly windy road and started smelling fuel. So I pulled over the side only to find a sizable puddle of gas in front of the rear passenger side tire as well as around the fuel filler inlet after I opened the flap. To be on the safe side I killed the engine and I had the bus towed back to my garage to deal with it. I noticed after towing the bus back that a bunch of fuel puddled on the roll-up tow truck in a similar spot (many wide turns taken, bumps, etc.)

I believe the gas cap is original so I thought possibly that I overfilled it and fuel may have been sloshing around and escaping that way. I also thought maybe because I moved the fuel filter out of the engine compartment and under the bus where it comes out of the tank...maybe that was the issue? But the line appeared to be appropriately clamped and no evidence of fuel leakage. I'm leaning towards the gas cap and overfilling it being the culprit but I know some of the fuel lines are likely to be originally and I don't believe the EVAP canister and lines are present. I'm pretty confused to be honest and couldn't determine the exact source yesterday.

So any thoughts, help, or advice would be greatly appreciated!
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Leak in my '71 Reply with quote

it is the line that goes from the fill port to the tank. cracked, and damage escalates when you shove the gas nozzle in deep.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Leak in my '71 Reply with quote

Gasket in fuel filler cap.

Filler neck.

Vent lines.

Probably gonna want to pull the firewall panel to get a good look at what's going on with the filler system.

I mean the easiest thing would be if the gasket in the cap is bad. But beyond getting lucky and fixing it with that, good time to pull the engine out and the firewall panel and see what's up.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Leak in my '71 Reply with quote

on the filler neck, the repop I read is crap. Skills will tell you. he cut a hole to have easy access because it needs replaced every couple of years. Someone else on here took the filler neck to the FLAPS and found an off the shelf piece that did the job, but time will tell. I don't recall if they had to add an elbow.
someone here will correct me, but is there not a round pie plate cover in the engine compartment that pops out that the OP could have a peek?
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Leak in my '71 Reply with quote

Hello,
Fuel/gas cap seal... most likely.
Filler tube to tank, doubt it. You wouldn't get fuel back up stream at the fuel cap area.
Yet, maybe a vent line..
Cheapest fix is try another fuel cap or seal. Other wise you may be pulling your engine if it's the filler too tank hose piece.
Hell, just fill to half a tank then, problem solved... No...
j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Leak in my '71 Reply with quote

Sounds like the cheap fix is to throw on a new gas cap on and not overfill it. I'm probably going to end up dropping tank because I have to replace the sending unit anyway. I think that'll be a good opportunity to replace it all with new rubber.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Leak in my '71 Reply with quote

Could be a block tank ventilation system that is forcing the fumes to find another way out and carrying liquid gasoline with them.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Leak in my '71 Reply with quote

Mine pulled that move a few years ago when the OG filler neck hose shrank enough to partially pull itself off the tank end.
New hose, vapor line connectors and a sender internal ground rework and it's good for another 45 years Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Leak in my '71 Reply with quote

The smoking gun here is that it did it after you filled the tank. When the fuel backs up into the filler neck that forces fuel out the vents that live on the left and right side of the top of the tank. This usually isn’t a problem unless they are old hoses and leak.

The solution is:

1) pull the engine, then the firewall, and replace the vent hoses or

2) only fill the tank to less than full

You can live a long time only filling to 3/4
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Leak in my '71 Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Mine pulled that move a few years ago when the OG filler neck hose shrank enough to partially pull itself off the tank end.
New hose, vapor line connectors and a sender internal ground rework and it's good for another 45 years Wink
A customer of mine once accused me of dislodging the filler hose from the tank by jacking up one front corner to attend to the brakes. When I'd stopped laughing it became apparent even to him that he'd done it himself by ramming the pump nozzle in and wiggling it about to get it far enough in. The old filler hose had shrunk until it was only luck keeping it in place
j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Leak in my '71 Reply with quote

All really good info here. I guess I'll be putting the fuel line/sending unit repair on the list a little sooner than I thought. Granted, I could always keep the fuel level a bit lower and carry a jerry can on me. Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: