Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Sport Bilsteins from GW?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: New Sport Bilsteins from GW? Reply with quote

I have an 89 Westy that I was thinking of upgrading with the XHD Bilsteins from GoWesty -- and eventually the Schwenk or Bus Depot (Suplex) springs to replace the fading originals. Any experienced opinions on the XHDs??
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: New Sport Bilsteins from GW? Reply with quote

I just finished putting the Schwenk springs and Bilsteins XHD shocks on my '87. As far as ride height goes, I'm at about 17.25 to 17.5 inches at all four corners with a 1/2-inch spacer at the LR corner. Tires are 215/60-16.

I have not done a trip with this combo, but my testing around here points to a definite improvement over stock springs and the regular Bilstein HD shock that was on the van. Brake dive is half of what it was, and no more tire rubbing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: New Sport Bilsteins from GW? Reply with quote

Thanks! I'm really interested in seeing how those springs settle out after a year or three. Did you measure all four corners before the upgrade? It would be enlightening to know what they were originally. I'm currently at 15 3/4" at the driver's front which is the lowest of the four on the original (30 yr old) stock springs.
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: New Sport Bilsteins from GW? Reply with quote

I did not measure prior to the change, but the front tires would rub the wheel ach on compression after going over humps and dips. Not anymore. I'll get back to you in in 2022 regarding how they hold up. Smile
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New Sport Bilsteins from GW? Reply with quote

Looking forward to the 2022 update. Laughing

But maybe they'll sag before then so I won't have to wait in suspense until then? For your sake, I hope not!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: