Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shop rankings in Phoenix, Arizona
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmmcdonald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much kiss the ground that Competition Engineering occupies. We took our 1978 CEII Westfalia, of which we are the original owners, to them about three years ago for a full restoration (engine, transmission, paint upholstery, furniture, AC upgrade), even to the degree of rebuilding the interior furniture. They did an excellent job, and for the past two years that we have had the completed bus, the only thing that has gone wrong was a stretched clutch cable. Other than that, I have only taken it back for routing maintenance.

And what I think about what might have happened if we had taken the bus to another shop, which went out of business during the period of the restoration ...

Keith
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Shop rankings in Phoenix, Arizona Reply with quote

I just thought I would bring this up to the top and see where it goes.

A friend is having this shop www.europeanautomachine.com/ do his engine case and heads for him...will see how it works out.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
bobinphx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I called the Karl's Phoenix number when I needed a fuel pump earlier this year and Montz answered; he apparently bought Karl's phone number; how smart is that? Any comment's on Montz? (He treated me just fine by the way.)
"
Montz did this same thing back in the 1980s with Jays vw. No doubt he is a smart business man and must be doing something right, as he has been in the business since the late 1970's. All told, an honest mechanic who, with this much experience, does a good job. That being said, I have not had any work done there, so your mileage may vary.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop rankings in Phoenix, Arizona Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
I just thought I would bring this up to the top and see where it goes.

A friend is having this shop www.europeanautomachine.com/ do his engine case and heads for him...will see how it works out.

That was me, and I think www.europeanautomachine.com on north 24th Street did a great job on my engine case and cylinder heads; I didn't think that the heads were even salvageable, but they turned out great.

BEFORE
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

AFTER
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ken even helped me with an end play issue while I waited, on a Saturday morning (he machined the "nose" of the flywheel).

By the way: the engine was completed, installed, and runs good with lots of pep (1600cc DP).
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Bock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop rankings in Phoenix, Arizona Reply with quote

I have some feedback on experiences in 2018. I just got the car driving and have been able to test the on-road results so here goes.

European Automotive Machine on 24th St.
– I brought Ken a disassembled 1600 long block to assess prior to rebuild. He evaluated everything within a day and let me know the damage up front. He did a valve job, replaced some broken head studs, swapped rods for a good set of recon VW rods, and provided all the bearings and gaskets for me to assemble the stock long block. His work was completed within 1-2 weeks. He provided me a full estimate up front and didn’t deviate on pay day. He answered the phone or called me back ASAP. I think he was CASH only, but no big deal there as his receipts are itemized and on company letterhead. I like that he worked to re-use as much as possible and didn’t over machine anything (clean and hone P&C, polish the crank as opposed to turn it and advised line bore was not needed) The hardest part about dealing with Ken was pulling in and out of his parking lot during rush hour =) Money well spent and will go there in a heartbeat for my next machine shop need. I re-assembled the engine and it runs great!

Arizona Transaxle Exchange – Bill answered the phone when I first called and gave me all the information needed to understand my options when rebuilding a T1 swingaxle. I dropped the transmission off partially disassembled which was no issue for them. Bill quoted me accurately up front and estimated a 4-6 week turn around. I followed up around 4 weeks and had the transmission back at the 6 week mark. It was returned with a box full of old parts (which is always nice when you are paying for unseen new internals). He sourced a new case for me after pointing out that my case was damaged internally and also provided a good set of axles after showing me the stress cracks in my old set. This was for my baja and rather than buying a “new” R&P for better gearing, Bill offered to install a stronger than stock unit with better gearing for larger tires from a T2. Bill was very clear in communicating to me what to do if I had any issues during install or if there were mechanical issues after install. Again, money well spent and of special note we walked through his shop and it is spotless! The man runs a tight ship. I’ve been driving the car around town and had it on the freeway going with the flow of traffic with no shifting or performance issues whatsoever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: