Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wires under Instrument Cluster question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
felixbobcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Wires under Instrument Cluster question Reply with quote

While doing some work under the instrument cluster I found these two sets of wires that had been crimped together then covered with electrical tape.

Is this factory spec or someones quick fix? Tape didn't seem to be 34 years old.

My van is an 85 Westy.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Wires under Instrument Cluster question Reply with quote

Best thing to do is trace them back and see where they originate and terminate. It's a bit hard to tell from that picture, but if I had to guess I would say stereo speaker wiring.

Ed
bettingonvans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Wires under Instrument Cluster question Reply with quote

Not factory. Sloppy. Blue is probably +12V? Browns probably used to terminate at the ground stars near the fuse box. Easy to check. Bad if they touch. I'd heat shrink the blues at least unless you plan other action.
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Wires under Instrument Cluster question Reply with quote

Brown is definitely ground.

Gray/blue +12V, and if I recall correctly, is the dash lights dimming circuit. Not 100% sure though.

Look for some accessory that a previous owner added or modified that might have a light that dims with the instrument lights.

Jim

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Wires under Instrument Cluster question Reply with quote

there is a star lug on the A pillar just above your fuse box, i would start by looking at that to see if someone yanked the wire off that for some reason. Don't know about the blue and gray, but a simple look at the wiring schematic should give you some clue. Trying to figure out someone else mess isn't easy. I am the original owner of my 80 westfalia, and i can't figure half the wire mods i did myself! Now i label everything...
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Wires under Instrument Cluster question Reply with quote

The grey/blue wire mess is actually factory, it is the dash illumination wires as stated above. It drives me crazy and I crimp them all together with a large heat shrink butt splice connector.
felixbobcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Wires under Instrument Cluster question Reply with quote

I did see that a couple of the grey/blue wires terminated in the switches on the dash.

Really can't say why they were cut. Only accessories I found was and overhead video monitor but that was not wired into the dash.

I'm going to cover it and leave it for now and fix it when I pull the dash.

I'm sure someday someone will shake their head at my upgrades. But at least they will be done correctly....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Wires under Instrument Cluster question Reply with quote

The wires were not “cut” that is how that portion of the harness was fabricated at the VW factory in West Germany. It looks like it was done in East Germany.
Like the previous poster said, the mess looks like a hack but it is not. Those wires are hot but at least they are fused and had some tape covering them. He suggests a more workmanlike solution by redoing the connection with a modern insulated crimp connector. Likewise the adjacent ground crimp mess is Original, looks like crap but it’s only a ground right?

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Wires under Instrument Cluster question Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there was once a factory insulator on that crimped connector? It seems so odd that VW would have left a “hot” connector exposed, but I have never seen one protected. Maybe it was something that self-destructed after 20 years?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Wires under Instrument Cluster question Reply with quote

VAG still gang crimps wires like that inside the wiring looms.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: