Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bus today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 631, 632, 633 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
crofty wrote:

turns out it was the brushes were crap. I swapped them out and now its ok. still a red light till about 1200rpm.

Does the light stay out after you rev it up and let it go back down to idle? Or does the light stay on at idle?

it stays off off above 1200 or so but will come back on intermittently

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
crofty wrote:

turns out it was the brushes were crap. I swapped them out and now its ok. still a red light till about 1200rpm.

Does the light stay out after you rev it up and let it go back down to idle? Or does the light stay on at idle?

it stays off off above 1200 or so but will come back on intermittently

Hook up a voltmeter and watch the charge rate as you rev the engine and let it idle down. I would suspect you might have another bad generator or regulator.

I am no expert, but I have had this happen before on my own junk.
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Started the bodywork on the doglegs

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Adjusted my brakes...no biggie that. I had the hubcap puller, a rag, and the big screwdriver for the stars all laying loose and separate on the cement. I went to grab the rag to wipe some hubcap jizz off my fingers and the whole shebang caught on itself. It wasn't just a little caught but it wouldn't even towel-snap apart...go figure...sheesh.

I've worked with a lot of different trades in my job and done many trades in my job and compared notes with other people. We have always had a running "everything-gets-hooked-on-everything" oral scrapbook with some real doozies that I'm sure you know exactly what they're like. The wiring guys say, "If I ever fall out of an airplane I want to be holding onto a bundle of wire".

How many times have you gone to back out of your side door and snagged on the inside door handle?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Having worked in the construction field most of my adult life, I have often heard the old adage "if I ever get on a plane, I bring a hose/extension cord with me, cuz if the plane starts going down, I can throw it out the window and the sumbitch will get caught on something!"

Cords and hoses are the bane of my existence. And I deal with them everyday.

Yes, cordless tools are prevalent, and I have many.
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

I don't get to use my specialty tools very often.
Perhaps that is why they are specialty tools though huh?

Anyhow, I had occasion to use my hinge pin remover yesterday on the 306 Kombi.
This is a reproduction of the original VW tool and was made by Joey Cogdill.
I have a couple other tools made by Joey and it is always a pleasure to work with them - they are well designed, expertly crafted and properly executed.
I think I have only had to remove about 3 hinge pins in the years I have had this tool, but when you need the right tool for the job, nothing else will suffice.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Does the stationary part of that tool rest on the paint?
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:

Yes, it does.
Squeezes down pretty hard too, in order to counteract the force pushing the pin up.
One would likely want to do all the hinge pin work on a bus before paint.
bigdirt09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Installed new rear corner.

Travis Woodard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Looks like the ham and bacon bus is coming together looks great!

56 PGSG OG paint Wilson Avenue church bus

57 deluxe 23 window OG paint

59 mango

69 bay deluxe bay

66 beetle
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigdirt09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Smells like bacon cooking every time we weld. Lol
Travis Woodard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Breakfast is served! Lol

56 PGSG OG paint Wilson Avenue church bus

57 deluxe 23 window OG paint

59 mango

69 bay deluxe bay

66 beetle
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Installed disc brakes on the SO34 this past weekend and put in a set of safari windows. Busy, busy and sore as hell!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Riff Raff wrote:
BarryL wrote:

Yes, it does.
Squeezes down pretty hard too, in order to counteract the force pushing the pin up.
One would likely want to do all the hinge pin work on a bus before paint.

Just thinking - If one cut a small piece of inner tube (possibly double thickness even) and placed it between the top of the tool and the hinge, it would pad the paint well enough to protect it I think.
The pin would easily be pushed through the inner tube.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

I needed to get some sheet lumber bought and cut down to bring home to use to strengthen some shelving. Hmmmm. Which old VW to take to the Home Depot to grab the lumber ? Ah, the big hatch 1967 SO-42 Campmobile. Fold the couch into bed format and load away!

Bingo, job done! Always fun to turn a few heads in the H.D. loading zone!

Bill Bowman

p.s. Before ya ask, this was originally a Kombi Sundial Camper since new that I bought out in San Jose, CA way back in 1984. I trashed the Sundial interior immediately and collected a very nice Westy bench seat interior from the then plentiful VW junk yards while restoring the body/paint. It was originally Pearl White. Back in my "modified" VW days I choose two-tone metallic paint work. Its still holding up rather nicely. I had it all finished back in 1986 and it is basically un-molested ever since then! But truth be told, I'm planning to molest it quite a bit later on this year...
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
I needed to get some sheet lumber bought and cut down to bring home to use to strengthen some shelving. Hmmmm. Which old VW to take to the Home Depot to grab the lumber ? Ah, the big hatch 1967 SO-42 Campmobile. Fold the couch into bed format and load away!

Bill Bowman

p.s. Before ya ask, this was originally a Kombi Sundial Camper since new that I bought out in San Jose, CA way back in 1984. I trashed the Sundial interior immediately and collected a very nice Westy bench seat interior from the then plentiful VW junk yards while restoring the body/paint. It was originally Pearl White. Back in my "modified" VW days I choose two-tone metallic paint work. Its still holding up rather nicely. I had it all finished back in 1986 and it is basically un-molested ever since then! But truth be told, I'm planning to molest it quite a bit later on this year...

I'll never forget taking my walkthrough bus to the Home Depot to pick up some 12 foot 2X12 pressure treated lumber for mounting an awning on my house. Opened the rear hatch, slid them in, angled so they cleared the shift and e brake levers, and shut the hatch.

I had pulled under the awning at the contractors entrance, amongst the pickup trucks. The look on the faces of those guys was priceless. Easy peasy, loaded and out of there in seconds. Hauling 12 foot lumber in a standard bed pickup is not easy, requires balancing a load sticking out four feet past the end of an opened tailgate, and tying it down so it doesn't slide. Heh...

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Wow j.pickens 12' fits in it too? Cool!

Bill I love the mod colors of your camper and glad to know ply fits easily too.

j.pickens wrote:
BulliBill wrote:

Bill Bowman

I'll never forget taking my walkthrough bus to the Home Depot to pick up some 12 foot 2X12 pressure treated lumber for mounting an awning on my house. Opened the rear hatch, slid them in, angled so they cleared the shift and e brake levers, and shut the hatch.

I had pulled under the awning at the contractors entrance, amongst the pickup trucks. The look on the faces of those guys was priceless. Easy peasy, loaded and out of there in seconds. Hauling 12 foot lumber in a standard bed pickup is not easy, requires balancing a load sticking out four feet past the end of an opened tailgate, and tying it down so it doesn't slide. Heh...

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Thanks Linda,

How you doin' Girl? Yes, that was my first Split-Bus (I have three currently), and this one is a Jan of 1967 production Kombi from the hills above Santa Cruz, CA, fitted out when new on the dealership lot as a Sundial Camper. A few owners and decades later I found her in 1984 in the San Jose, CA area. She was a bit weathered and was by then re-painted orange, but was solid and rust free, so I bought her with the plan to convert her into a SO-42 Campmobile and I drove her back to St. Louis. Back in 1985 for the restoration body/paint, I didn't want "hippy-ish" colors, and I wasn't yet a vintage purist, but I wanted a kind of elegant palette of Limousine-ish colors to choose from. One of those colors is an American Motors metal-flake color, and the other was a Chrysler metal-flake color. I liked them side by side in paint chips, so off to the races we went! I keep threatening to go back to the original Pearl White paint that she left the Hannover factory with, but this old metal-flake paint job is holding up so well that I just don't have the heart to have it sanded off... not quite yet anyway! She opened the door to the Transporter world for me, and she has three other Transporter stable-mates now. Lately she has served as a loaner for several select out-of-State visiting friends who use her to attend and camp at our BNNTA camping weekend.

Total eclipse watching recently:

Bill & Kathryn
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by BulliBill on Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Careful Bill- you could turn this into the "How much have you hauled in your Westy thread! I am not shy to haul with ours... amazing what they're capable of, and very easily cleaned up. Last spring I got into a planting mood, 13 arborvitae later- When I pulled around back at the greenhouse... yard worker looked puzzled.

BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Awesome "organic" load Jeremy! Way to put her to good use!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 631, 632, 633 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Page 632 of 680

Jump to: