Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Breather ‘72 Type 4
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mygreenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Breather ‘72 Type 4 Reply with quote

I am getting ready to clean the breather of my 1.7 in my ‘72 Bus. It was originally a fuelie but converted to carb prior to my ownership. Am I correct in my understanding that with the carb I should take out the fuzz or whatever you want to call it, in the breather? It vents into the air cleaner so it kind of makes sense it’s not needed. Thanks.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather ‘72 Type 4 Reply with quote

The correct carburetor breather was nothing but an empty box with a minimal amount of baffles. There was no valve at all, just a nipple for the hose to hook to.

I picture of what you have would be good.
mygreenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather ‘72 Type 4 Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather ‘72 Type 4 Reply with quote

You have a carb breather already, no need to do anything to it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
mygreenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather ‘72 Type 4 Reply with quote

So cleaning is just carb cleaner, checking that it’s not plugged?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather ‘72 Type 4 Reply with quote

mygreenbus wrote:
So cleaning is just carb cleaner, checking that it’s not plugged?

Yes, spray a load of carb cleaner into it, cap both ports with your fingers or hand (wear gloves) and shake shake shake, let it soak and repeat. You'll probably never get everything out of it, but try to get any thick buildups off.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
mygreenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather ‘72 Type 4 Reply with quote

Is the lid the only part that comes off?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather ‘72 Type 4 Reply with quote

Yes, and it's a sealed unit, not much inside except a baffle, nothing below in the crankcase, although I have seen a pot scrubber pad stuffed in there on worn engines to slow the progress of the oil.

Слава Україні!
Ktk833
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re:‘72 Type 4 heating query Reply with quote

Hi.
Hope well. Pardon me for hijacking someone's topic- I've tried all to create my own topic thread but seems I don't know how to or not able to .

I am working on my recently acquired dual carb 1800cc type 4. The previous owner had it overhauled but they fit a centrally mounted carb and it heavily backfired.
I unmounted their modification and have fit 2 carbs- not original equipment though.
I have managed to synchronize both carbs- the same air volume being pulled in by each pair of cylinders.
My challenge faced though is cylinders 3/4, when running, get the exhaust system really hot. The difference in heat generated in comparison to cylinders 1/2 is immensely different with 1/2 feeling like what I'd expect of a good engine.
On the intake manifolds, when engine running, the temperatures keep cool almost equal on both cylinder sets but when you turn the engine off, the manifold 3/4 becomes really hot- picking the heat from the exhausts. In short, the cylinders 3/4 is getting really hot.
I checked valve clearance and did them to 0.15mm clearance on overnight cold engine.
I checked the cooling tinware and they all seem well in place.

My question is, is that normal of that engine? If not, what could I be facing? Kindly assist.

Regards.
KTK 833
mygreenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather ‘72 Type 4 Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Yes, and it's a sealed unit, not much inside except a baffle, nothing below in the crankcase, although I have seen a pot scrubber pad stuffed in there on worn engines to slow the progress of the oil.

All clean inside, it actually cleaned up quit well. Made a new thicker gasket for it as I felt like the tension to hold it in place might not have been enough to hold a good seal at highway speeds when the pressure it a bit higher and when I suspect it was doing its most blow by...we will see.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re:‘72 Type 4 heating query Reply with quote

Ktk833 wrote:
Hi.
Hope well. Pardon me for hijacking someone's topic- I've tried all to create my own topic thread but seems I don't know how to or not able to .

I am working on my recently acquired dual carb 1800cc type 4. The previous owner had it overhauled but they fit a centrally mounted carb and it heavily backfired.
I unmounted their modification and have fit 2 carbs- not original equipment though.
I have managed to synchronize both carbs- the same air volume being pulled in by each pair of cylinders.
My challenge faced though is cylinders 3/4, when running, get the exhaust system really hot. The difference in heat generated in comparison to cylinders 1/2 is immensely different with 1/2 feeling like what I'd expect of a good engine.
On the intake manifolds, when engine running, the temperatures keep cool almost equal on both cylinder sets but when you turn the engine off, the manifold 3/4 becomes really hot- picking the heat from the exhausts. In short, the cylinders 3/4 is getting really hot.
I checked valve clearance and did them to 0.15mm clearance on overnight cold engine.
I checked the cooling tinware and they all seem well in place.

My question is, is that normal of that engine? If not, what could I be facing? Kindly assist.

Regards.
KTK 833

Go to the "Bay Window Bus" index page. You will find it near the top left of this page. Once on the "Bay Window Bus" page look for the "New Topic" box which will also be towards the top left corner of the page and click it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: