Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bay recently?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 427, 428, 429 ... 462, 463, 464  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Just finished shooting some fresh L90D on the 78 Transporter. 3 coats of Nason Epoxy Primer, Followed by 4 coats of Nason Single Stage. First time painting, enjoyed it, learned a lot.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scubasteve321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

tommu wrote:
[quote="dcsheppard"And now, it wont turn over. It ran perfectly last month when I used it as a daily for 2 weeks. Actually, it's always ran well. I pulled the fuel pump connector off of the coil while I was working on it, and I think one or two of the other connectors. Now I'm not sure if I have them all back on the coil correctly. Fuel pump has power, I have all other elec *lights, radio, etc). The battery died during surgery, but it was recharged recently and read ~11.75v, so that should be good, but I pulled it and hooked it up to the charger when I was done last night just so I could make sure this evening. Perhaps its spark, but I think it has to be due to wiring, unless I fried something hooking up the coil incorrectly.

Still having trouble with this? If you are, why don't you post a pic of your coil wiring?[/quote]

Presumably your problem was with your battery, and, when you charged it up it turned right over

You stated that you checked the voltage and you got 11.75 volts, what you may not have realized is that actually is an indication your battery is dead! (Well, at only 30 percent)

Every .1 is about 10 percent loss

That being said, if/when that happens in the future KISS

Keep it simple stupid!

Clean up all battery terminals, clean up ground connections (don't forget engine to transmission ground; that bastard has gotten me before!)
1974 VW Bus
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Found a little shop time tonight. Finally installed the freshly machined nose cone with new seal, bushing, and hockey stick onto the 002 for my single cab. This stuff has been sitting for awhile, as I have been adding a second story to my house.

Priorities.

Interestingly enough, the torque value for those nuts holding the nose cone in place is 14 ft/lbs. I used my beam style torque wrench, and 14 is nearly the exact amount of torque it takes to make the trans want to flop over sideways if it isn't strapped down to the table. Very Happy
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
[img]
Interestingly enough, the torque value for those nuts holding the nose cone in place is 14 ft/lbs. I used my beam style torque wrench, and 14 is nearly the exact amount of torque it takes to make the trans want to flop over sideways if it isn't strapped down to the table. Very Happy

Ha! 14 ft*lbs is also the torque where the 091 metal can strip because VW cheaped out and used bolts instead of studs. Enjoy your quality topsy-turvey 002. Wink

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
[img]

Ha! 14 ft*lbs is also the torque where the 091 metal can strip because VW cheaped out and used bolts instead of studs. Enjoy your quality topsy-turvey 002. Wink

Robbie

I was gentle, and made it work without strapping it down. Now to figure out why the engine oil had that silver slurry of quality when I last drained it. Methinks my zinc level may have been low and the cam took a hit. Is there a simple way to measure lift without a full teardown to inspect the cam? I guess I could setup a system to measure movement at the top of the valve stem while rotating things by hand, but I would have to have a known good number from which to compare.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Is there a simple way to measure lift without a full teardown to inspect the cam? I guess I could setup a system to measure movement at the top of the valve stem while rotating things by hand, but I would have to have a known good number from which to compare.

Cam wear will show up in regular valve adjustments as increasing clearance. But so will lifter wear…

VW never released stock cam specs, but the performance forum on here seems to agree that the intake/exhaust cam lobes have .322/.310 lift for all 1300 and larger carbureted Type 1 engines. I think that's lift at the valve, accounting for the 1:1.1 rocker arm ratio.

What makes you think you have cam wear?
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Is there a simple way to measure lift without a full teardown to inspect the cam? I guess I could setup a system to measure movement at the top of the valve stem while rotating things by hand, but I would have to have a known good number from which to compare.

Cam wear will show up in regular valve adjustments as increasing clearance. But so will lifter wear…

VW never released stock cam specs, but the performance forum on here seems to agree that the intake/exhaust cam lobes have .322/.310 lift for all 1300 and larger carbureted Type 1 engines. I think that's lift at the valve, accounting for the 1:1.1 rocker arm ratio.

What makes you think you have cam wear?
Robbie

Though it has been some time since I have driven the truck, the last few months it was not running as well. Hard to pinpoint exactly, just a seat-of-the-pants feel. It was in good tune, with good fuel, just didn't feel right.

When I finally decided to drop the engine and trans to replace all of the shift bushing stuff, I dropped the oil once the engine was on the stand. It was silvery, and not in a good way. I suspect cam wear, but may be way off base.

I may actually tear this engine down. It is a nice late model case, it came in a bus I bought years ago and has served me well on several long trips over the years. It paid its dues, and I don't want to ruin it anymore than I have to.

I have a nice 1600 SP long block waiting in the wings. That may be what powers the single cab for awhile. Also have a balanced, counterweight 1776 all freshly wrapped up in boxes on the shelf waiting for me to pick a cam, get bottom end bearings, and assemble. But that one is for my 57 kombi. Someday...
2fast4me
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Well ... first "mod" / upgrade for my bus ... I installed Hella E-Code H4 headlights from Bus Depot and Sylvania Silverstar bulbs ... one of my sealed beams was not so "sealed" anymore. Somehow it still worked Think

Also, does anyone know what size the screw is that holds the headlight ring bracket on? The passenger side has two holding it it, and the drivers side only has one ... Planning on swinging by Home Depot and seeing if they have some. Push comes to shove I can remove one and take it into the store with me.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Not sure on the size exactly, but if you go to a smaller independent hardware store they will have a better selection and you will only have to buy the amount you need, not an overpriced package of six.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

2fast4me wrote:
Well ... first "mod" / upgrade for my bus ... I installed Hella E-Code H4 headlights from Bus Depot and Sylvania Silverstar bulbs

I’ve been running these headlights for years. If you haven’t driven them yet let me tell you they are awesome!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
2fast4me wrote:
Well ... first "mod" / upgrade for my bus ... I installed Hella E-Code H4 headlights from Bus Depot and Sylvania Silverstar bulbs

I’ve been running these headlights for years. If you haven’t driven them yet let me tell you they are awesome!

Not sure if they were exactly the same, but I had a set of H4's in my 65 Riviera camper for a short time. Hated them. The problem was that when they were adjusted properly for the dim setting, when switched to bright I was lighting up the sky. If adjusted for proper bright setting height, at the dim setting they were shining less than 50 feet in front of the bus. I put regular Sylvania Halogens back in, and sold the H4's.
dcsheppard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

[quote="scubasteve321"][quote="tommu"]

Thanks for the concerned replies! Just got back from a long weekend in Colorado, and got an update to share.

On a fresh charge (13+V), it was turning over fine, just not firing. I think I mistakenly said it wasn't turning over before but it was. Now with a hot battery, it was even more vigorous.

Here's a photo of the coil

The only thing going to the negative terminal is the black wire from EI in the distributor.

On the positive, I have 5 wires:

Red from EI. When the key is on, this has ~8v charge.

Black from the left which I though was from the ignition, but when I had the key turned on, I didn't have any charge there.

Yellow to the fuel pump from the left. I can hear it running and it has 12v juice when the key is on.

Black from the right which I think is the power for the blower that I took off a long time ago (been meaning to get it back together). This has 12v when I have the key on.

Yellow to the carb which also has a charge when the key is on.

The coil wire to the dizzy also has 12v.

Now, the only way any of that has a charge is when the black wire from the right is connected to the positive side of the coil. But this comes from the same bundle as the blue wire, so I'm pretty sure it's not from the ignition.

It's turning over, all signs point to it having fuel, so I checked spark. Pulled one of my plug wires, hooked up a spare spark plug, had the wife give it a crank and no spark. I think at some point I might have had the black and red wires to the EI switched on the coil and it fried. That damn black/ground red/power paradigm got me.

What do you think?
2fast4me
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

richparker wrote:

Nope, haven’t driven them yet. It just got good and dark, and the wife’s home, so as soon as our daughter goes to bed, I’m going to check them out and get them adjusted! Very Happy
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

2fast4me wrote:
richparker wrote:

Nope, haven’t driven them yet. It just got good and dark, and the wife’s home, so as soon as our daughter goes to bed, I’m going to check them out and get them adjusted! Very Happy

You rebel...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zambia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Replaced my parking lights, actually parking lights and tail lights after having my bus repainted original color. Now my lights are super bright!
Pretty soon it will be a brand new bus lol.
BoltonFTW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

First plug replacement on new to me - '78 FI westy engine code GE.

Anything i should be worried about? #3 seems lean compared to the rest? These were pulled stone cold so take that fwiw. Thanks.

1977 Westfalia Weekender Tintop (very first car - SOLD Sad )
1992 VW Corrado VR6 (SOLD)
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Drew, a little late to the party, but your plugs didn't look bad to me.
Remember Cylinder #3 likes to get the hottest, lean is typical here.

TheRealOld59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Back to stock for my Westy

With the 15" Split rims

And before, then he was lowered

lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Replaced the clutch cable tube with a piece of 1/2 inch mechanical tube,had to sand it down a little to slip the bowden over it.The outer case on the bowden tube was cut at the end crimps,so I put heat shrink on it to seal it.
I did not weld the tube in yet,will do that after I install the trans and engine so I can get the sag in the bowden tube correct.

1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I did this whole larger 15" rim tire swap with beefy MT's. Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 427, 428, 429 ... 462, 463, 464  Next
Jump to:
Page 428 of 464

Jump to: