Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

can a genny be swapped without pulling the shroud?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hlwimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: can a genny be swapped without pulling the shroud? Reply with quote

how? dual carbs... see avatar with engine pix.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not easy, but can be done.

Remove the gen pulley, but leave the front half (front is front of car) on. If it's the type with 2 flat sides, use a large open end wrench or adjustable and grab it. Slip a 36mm socket on a 3" extension and a breaker bar in front of the shroud and put it on the fan nut. Now hold the pulley and crack the nut loose. Remove the nut. Remove the 4 bolts that hold the backing plate to the shroud. Tip the top forard and remove the 2 10mm nuts holding the generator to the shroud.

To reinstall, just reverse and make sure you get the fan nut on tight.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hlwimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks... these flippin' porsche gennys keep blowing after 1000miles and a few hard runs. thinking of switching to a 12V VW genny. not as "vintage-pretty" but surely more solid.

i'm getting no noticeable current from the D+ or DF off the genny... that would indicate a genny problem, no? (as opposed to interference from a bad vreg).

if the genny is bad and i install a new vreg to test, will the bad genny blow the new vreg?
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it can pop the generater if not replaced(v.regulater) - is it possible that generater speed is extreme? i cant see the setup by looking at your avatar.. if you run a power pulley you can use a porsche 912 pulley (smaller than beetle one ) to get 1.9-1 ratio which is close to stock ratio. i have "slung lead" from over speeding with stock setup. what is fault when they stop charging??

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hlwimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks bill (and glenn)... actually, to get the correct set-off (angle for the belt), i have to use the 6V VW pulley (or else the belt will curn due to misalignment -- to porsche one is dipped in a bit), which leaves the genny light glowing dimly @ idle, so i'll assume the rotations are in limits, but i get your point -- a stock pulley and a porsche pully would make it spin pretty quickly -- great for more air and instant power, but a strain on an already antiquated part (albeit rebuilt).

what is popping the generator? something that can be remedied without taking off the genny? how can you tell if solder has melted and something's dropped out of place? i fear that somehow something has indeed melted within the genny... when spinning, i'm getting no reads off either the D+ or DF posts.

i'm about 1/2 hour away from testing the setup using a new VW regulator -- not the same amperage, but more disposable -- i have one whole/new porsche genny and one new porsche vreg left -- adn i think they're the last on the planet judging by the looks of the guys at the parts counters when i ask for more...
hlwimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just hooked up the VW regulator. no change. must be the genny. i'll pull it and replace the genny and the vreg @ the same time sometime soon. fortunately, the car is not a daily driver.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: