Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

I had another thread about this, but here is my finished RIVnut to hold the front bumper

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

a couple of shots of the windshield ledge before the HIPPIE fix.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

And finally an after shot of the windshield ledge.... I got a new piece of glass from Jack Morris. $160 seems good.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

moving on BACK. Got the middle row heat vent cleaned up. Wow what a bitch of a job and I am not even gonna benefit.

Moved on back further and hit all the RUST pock marks in the main cabin floor with a wire brush on a drill. Then " hippie fixed" an holes (tiny holes) with POR paste.

THe big job was "removing" the seat bolt holder at the sliding door. Rusted all to hell and will never be used. Replaced the flat metal with a patch....

On the fix above, I cut the edges and folded it back. The deflectors inside were TOAST. I fixed the rusty holes right and left then added ho-made deflectors and folded the walkway back down and welded it up. Germany used 5 holes, I went with 3.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

I have moved UNDER. KInda have broken up the work in quarters. Not much repair under here but TONS of tar under coating. It is amazing how well the undercoting worked.

It was sprayed on and where the beams or tubing blocked and thinned out the spray, i see surface rust.

Now is the time i am wishing i had figured out how to make the mobile sand blasting idea work. Jeez.

Tar is not all gone. You can see the brown. That is dirt covered tar. The black and purple is the rust converter i used on the surface rust.

The heater tube was rusted on both ends.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Underside is now pretty. At least from the nose to the rear beam.... just finished 2 coats. But I scraped off the old undercoating. Treated the rust, repaired some holes. Still have a few more to get, but I can always come back.

I am only making repairs enough to drive and cart folks around. I repaired the bench hold downs so I can install the bench.

I now have a plan for the HEAT tube. Finished the Bumpers. Still moving toward the engine.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Work work work..... removed the sliding door, the rear hatch, cutting out rust. I sure hope I can remember where everything goes.... Smile I thought a 72 would be no problem. But damn, seems like every part I get is NOT RIGHT. Web sites say YES. then I get the part and the factory sticker says 73-79. Come on, just tell me it's not gonna fit without some modifications. I can live with that.

BAD news is the little black rubber wedge is GONE and NO LONGER AVAILABLE. For some reason, they used a SPECIAL with the wedge on the left (top in the pic) for 72. good news MK1 vw, rabbit, cabriolet, sirocco have what I need.

you can see BUS in the the btm left..... is this gonna fit? I just Dry Fit this $155 panel, lined up the brake lite bolt holes and DAMN.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Sliding Door window frame repair with a Bus Depot patch.

rust cut out. Rust Converter slathered on

Got some burn thru holes, but I will fill with a water proof body filler or POR seam sealer. Still need to make a patch for the inner skin, but that should be much easier. Sprayed with Zinc primer. Once done I will also hit the inner channel with Eastman Inner channel sealer.

Last edited by malcolm2 on Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

What is this mentioning of a "hippie fix" along the windshield lip"?

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
What is this mentioning of a "hippie fix" along the windshield lip"?

I read someone on here talking about using fiberglass.... And they called it that. When I found the windshield sill rust, I found a patch panel that was way bigger than I needed and over $200.

So I decided to use fiber glass. I used the 3 step POR-15 process and added some POR-15 seam sealer and with coat #1 kinda tacky, I laid in about 3 layers of fiber glass.

Then the final coat of POR and a high quality top coat.

Then I found a much smaller window sill patch that was way cheaper too... Oh well.

I have used the POR hippie fix on several cars. Small rust holes, non-structural places. I cut rust out, clean, clean, clean, then zinc coat, then POR.

Once maybe 15 years ago, I patched a gas tank. Still have the car, and have no gas leaks.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

finished up the rear hatch window recently. My welding is only getting slightly better. THe last picture is getting a bath in Metal Ready zinc coating.... hopefully the next guy won't have to make the same repair in 40 years Wink.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

I don't know why, but I think the Jail Bars are so cool looking. I am a year out from driving, and they really did not get me any closer to that goal, but like I said, they look cool. So I bought some cheap ones from some dude in China. From 10 feet away they look normal. I wonder what OEM ones look like...? These are mine. I measured 100 times to get them even and level and square.

I did a "dry fit" of the window seal I just bought. Short of one more shot of Eastwood Internal Channel spray, installing the window and figuring out what I am gonna do about the missing panel.... The rear door is done Wink

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

BTW, The Jail Bars are from Ebay. @ $50. As I said, they look cool, but they are cheap-o. Not to mention the guy I bought them from, must have had his chinese manufacturer drop ship to me. They left an invoice in the box.... $16. Pretty good mark-up.

Caveat Emptor......
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Working on the last rusty window. Pulled the rubber from the wheels, cleaned them up. I need to get a tire shop to spin them up and give me an idea of the balance.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

UPDATE... Had to buy a faux cover trough from Alan Schofield. So it is on the way. While I wait I have done some prep work. The Bus Depot panel arrived and I started cutting. Cut out the Anchor point for the Seat Belt. Broke 2 spot weld cutters... They were cheap. Glad they gave me 5 cutters.
I think I bought them from amazon. @$25 comes in a little case. Sold by Handook. Even the Harbor Freight ones don't break. Coated the inside and out with Rust converter. Sprayed all surfaces to be covered and welded with Seymour's Weld Thru primer. Overlapped the bottom edge. Ground down the welds on the standing seam. Now we wait for Schofield's delivery.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Got the seams sealed and spot welded the cover trough, need to add the POR-15 paint under here. The cover fit nice and snug. I will get me some SS nuts and bolts to hold the cover at the lower tabs.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Cutting and fitting panels and finding more rust! Pretty much have the rght rear corner where it will all fit together. Gonna do some rust cutting and rust treatment inside and get ready for welding it all together.

Picture below shows some new found rust. There was a small shelf at the cargo floor level. I believe the shelf might have been there to keep the outer quarter panel from flexing inward. The lip of the shelf, what was left of it had a foam seal on it so the shelf and the quarter panel were not welded at that point. That outer panel below the rotten shelf had a ton of bondo on it, so I just cut it out down to the bottom where it all comes together.

Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Nice work!

1982 AMC Eagle SX4 4.2L FI
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

May was not a good month.... I will skip the part where I warped the side panel.... and made it 10,000 % worse trying to fix it. It is bad enough that I have to see it everytime I go in the garage. So for now I have moved on.

Battery Tray is done. Very fun and very little screwing up.

POR'd the hell out of the tray. Don't see it rusting or being eaten by acid.

back corner is attached. Need to try my hand at filler and smoothing it out some time.

And I have attached the rear hatch, working on the gaps now. Probably just come back to this when I am ready to do the latch, stricker, seal and window.

Last edited by malcolm2 on Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

What do you call them? I like corner chimneys. Very Happy

I wish I had taken a BEFORE picture, surface rust was everywhere.

I taped a wire brush to a long screwdriver. Knocked the loose paint off. Again taped a paint brush to a srewdriver and painted the inside with rust preventer. Then used esatwood internal channel paint with it’s hose to cover everything and the crevices. Then top coat with rattle can. All thru the vents.

Last edited by malcolm2 on Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:28 am; edited 1 time in total
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Looking good. I've been trying to figure out how I'm going to do the corner vents. Your method seemed to work pretty well.
A bunch of vintage Japanese motorcycles
"Much ingenuity with a little money is vastly more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity." -A. Bennett
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 11

Jump to: