Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine stand test on 71 autostick
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KW-VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Engine stand test on 71 autostick Reply with quote

First time post and newbie to vw world. I am assembling 1600 on engine stand using a bus trans mount and wondering what I would need to add to back of motor to try and bench test engine? Torque convertor and starter still in car and I assume I can take the starter out and use for bench testing.
I have read multiple threads on engine stands but too new to understand what I need to mount to engine to get the starter to engage using the bus trans mount.

71 super beetle
1600 Autostick

Thanks for any help or guidance.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine stand test on 71 autostick Reply with quote

Have check out youtube?

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KW-VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Engine stand test on 71 autostick Reply with quote

I was able to view some youtube videos and although I could not find one that specifically showed the autostick being started on an engine stand I did see where the torque converter actually has a flywheel/flexplate . So I guess I can take that out of my car and use to bench start the engine.

My plans are to try that after I drain the trans fluid out and see if that bolts up and works with the bus trans bell housing I found to mount on the engine stand. If anyone has done this and wants to confirm the procedure that would be great. Thanks.
vwfreek61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Engine stand test on 71 autostick Reply with quote

To start an autostick engine on a manual transmission bellhousing, you will need to swap the flexplate for a manual flywheel. It would also be a good idea to make sure there is fluid in the ATF pump and loop the lines so it doesn't run dry.
1987 Vanagon Westy w/Subaru EJ25 and reversed 4EAT
KW-VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine stand test on 71 autostick Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering what to do with the ATF side of the pump. Would it damage the pump if I ran a hose and just plugged the end. I will have to read up on how that cycles when in the car. Thanks again.
Raymond73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine stand test on 71 autostick Reply with quote

Here are some links that you might find helpful

http://vwar.org/forum/index.php?topic=1052.msg8607#msg8607

https://www.autozone.com/repairguides/Volkswagen-A...28026767c#
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
atomicbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine stand test on 71 autostick Reply with quote

You really do not want to plug the hoses (stop the flow) on the automatic trans fluid side of the pump. It is a gear pump which means that it is a positive displacement pump (as opposed to a centrifugal pump). Positive displacement pumps put out a specified amount of fluid per rotation no matter what. If you block the flow, the pump will build up more and more pressure until it busts something. The fluid has got to circulate. Make it flow in some kind of loop.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KW-VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine stand test on 71 autostick Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I am about ready to try and start up engine soon so I will find a flywheel and then make sure that I circulate the ATF side. I should be able to use the reservoir off the car and route the hoses to loop through so the fluid can circulate Thanks again for the advise new to vw world certainly new to Autostick.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: