Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel hose / grommet questions for 1977.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nonfatmatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Fuel hose / grommet questions for 1977. Reply with quote

I have a 1977 Kombi that I'm working on changing out a fuel pump / fuel filter.

I was able to get some 5/16 hose to go from the tank to the fuel filter that fits fine, but I'm having trouble finding the 11mm hose that goes from the filter to the intake of the fuel pump.

I've found this locally:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/safety-stripe...05/4348871

However, I'm concerned that it's only rated for 35PSI. Is this enough for my bus?

Also, I've been doing some research on fuel line replacement kits from Bus/Vanagon suppliers. Apparently there's a grommet that connects the gas tank through the firewall. Now that the tank is drained, would it be a good time to replace this? Thanks for your help.
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel hose / grommet questions for 1977. Reply with quote

thats on the intake side of the pump, so it won't really see any pressure at all.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel hose / grommet questions for 1977. Reply with quote

I have found that 30r7 or 30r6 hose will only last for a few years in that application because it can not handle the ethanol laced fuel we have to buy these days. Some people say that they don't have a problem with it though, so it may vary by brand. As Rustbus days, there is little pressure at that location, somewhere about 1 psi.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel hose / grommet questions for 1977. Reply with quote

This stuff claims to handle ethanol, etc.., no specific spec numbers offered though Confused https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/cel-65129/overview/

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
nonfatmatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel hose / grommet questions for 1977. Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for the info. I've decided to do it anyway because the bus needs to be inspected so it can be registered. Quick question, does anyone have any idea which wire is ground and which is hot?

I've got a black wire and a reddish/orange looking wire that went to the last pump, but everything was so corroded it's impossible to know, and we can't figure it out using a meter.
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel hose / grommet questions for 1977. Reply with quote

Before you consider which hose or which wire,....buy a fire extinguisher.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel hose / grommet questions for 1977. Reply with quote

Matt where are you in the Sacramento area?
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel hose / grommet questions for 1977. Reply with quote

Bel Metric has the hose, clamps and a ton of other stuff you will need...

https://www.belmetric.com/multifuel-hoseethanol-approved-c-14_662/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nonfatmatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel hose / grommet questions for 1977. Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Matt where are you in the Sacramento area?

Unfortunately I've moved to Texas, haven't updated the profile. Will do so now. If it helps, the black wire is thinner than the brownish wire. Wiring diagrams really aren't helping me. Is there a way to test what goes to what so we wire it correctly the first time?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel hose / grommet questions for 1977. Reply with quote

Somebody'd been messing with your wiring, the fuel pump power is red/blue and the ground is brown, no black wires involved in that part of the system.
The fuel pump is G6 (current track 71) below.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
nonfatmatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel hose / grommet questions for 1977. Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Somebody'd been messing with your wiring, the fuel pump power is red/blue and the ground is brown, no black wires involved in that part of the system.
The fuel pump is G6 (current track 71) below.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yeah, see I wondered about that. The wiring diagram is what I looked at first and it didn't look like anything else. I think this bus is on its second engine, so the 2nd time they wired it they probably used some other wire. The wiring diagram is sort of confusing though. Is there a way I can check which one is ground without turning the engine on?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: