Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front heater channel replacement
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pernest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject: Front heater channel replacement Reply with quote

Can you just cut out the bad and fit the new front piece in without body adjust. This might involve bottom A pillar replace also. My heater channels are mainly intact with some patches. the inner tube transmits heat just fine. What do you think? Thanks for any input you can give me! Peyton
jarmchairpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Front heater channel replacement Reply with quote

Hi, I think it depends what area is bad, if its the flat section underneath the car called the closing panel repair that can be done easy, if its the section the running board captive nuts attach to I think its a body off job. Usually the late bugs require more complete heater channel replacement because the quality of steel was not up to the earlier standard IMO. Often you think you are dealing with a minor repair but end up opening a whole bigger, rusty can if worms! Usually the rust will be a lot worst than you first expect.
jarmchairpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Front heater channel replacement Reply with quote

Hi, I think it depends what area is bad, if its the flat section underneath the car called the closing panel repair that can be done easy, if its the section the running board captive nuts attach to I think its a body off job. Usually the late bugs require more complete heater channel replacement because the quality of steel was not up to the earlier standard IMO. Often you think you are dealing with a minor repair but end up opening a whole bigger, rusty can if worms! Usually the rust will be a lot worst than you first expect.
pernest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Front heater channel replacement Reply with quote

Dear jarmchairpilot

When I bought the car the rust was located on the bottom of the front wheel wells. Had it repaired --- sheet metal cover. I have looked inside the heater tube with light and mirror and it looks okay from both A-pillars back to the rear area of the channel. I believe the frontal heater channel areas are pretty messed up. You can't see any damage from then inside of the car. I use the car as a daily driver so it would be hard to do a body off. I've owned the car for over 20 years. Jacksonville's climate is not brutal to bugs but the car is parked outside.

Thanks.

Peyton
Jacksonville, FL
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Front heater channel replacement Reply with quote

They make front rocker/heater channel repair sections. The ones I bought did not come with the bottom captive nut panel, so I had to make those myself. I didn't have to remove the body from the pan to do the repair, and in fact it was easier with the body on so I could line up the captive nut plates with the holes in the pan.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pernest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Front heater channel replacement Reply with quote

Thank you jarmchairpilot and beetlenut for the information. I've copied it and will use in the project.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: