Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My new Walkthrough 57 bus
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe71885
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: My new Walkthrough 57 bus Reply with quote

So last Christmas my wife surprised me with a walk through 57 bus, I have never owned a bus or worked on a bus, but I did have a VW Bug since High school (15 years ago) and constantly worked on it (freeway flyer put in, upgraded to a 1914 engine, disc brakes all around, you know the basics). The bus has been upgraded to a 091 transmission (Yes IRS) and a type 4 (1.8L). I do not know much about either and am stilling trying to figure everything out. The Bus is really nice and just needs touch ups here or there. We started to go through it and realized the mechanic who worked on it did some weird stuff and didn't exactly know what he was doing. The tail lights didn't work and you could tell he was trying to diagnose it (Extra grounds to the tail/brake lights in the rear) but when he put the new wiring harness in he forgot to connect the tail light to the switch at the front (We followed the wire all the way to the front. Now this is a new experience and I will have some questions that I am hoping the community can help me with. No I have not purchased a Bentley manual but I will soon. Here are some photos of when we picked it up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

We purchased a tow bar on the way down to California to pick it up in riverside.

Any questions I can answer go ahead and ask. I am new and wlll be asking a lot of questions myself. Thank you
Joe71885
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Walkthrough 57 bus Reply with quote

Now going through everything after that we looked at the transmission underneath and found the nose cone had a bolt with the head missing and was leaking oil and you could tell the mechanic took a transmission from an older bus and popped it in without rebuilding it or (it appears the brakes, I haven't pulled the drums off yet), and i realized I needed a new transmission.

Joe71885
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Walkthrough 57 bus Reply with quote

Now here comes the questions I have, After installing the new 091 Tranny from Dons Bus box in Peoria, AZ, I still had a lot of play in the shifter and after having my dad mess with it while under the bus I think I found the issue. There is no bushing in the front of the shift rod. I have found some supporting forums that helped me realize the issue but have yet to find one that actually shows the part and how to put it in. I bought a kit but just need some guidance in putting it in. or how it comes apart. I have found a bunch for later buses but for earlier 55 -57 or something like that I cant find anything. Any help would be grateful. Thanks

type2rescuemaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Walkthrough 57 bus Reply with quote

Do you know if this bus was originally a 1957 Walkthrough Sunroof bus or was the walkthrough section and the sunroof added?
Joe71885
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Walkthrough 57 bus Reply with quote

It appears to be a walkthrough originally, I have not taken a look for the dimples on the roof for the ragtop originality. I have been told the walk through means that it was taken off the line to a separate factory to become a walkthrough.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Walkthrough 57 bus Reply with quote

there is SOOOO much weird stuff going on both with the rear and the front. almost looks like a bay chassis with a split body welded onto it?

the sunroof does not look original nor does the walkthrough.
Joe71885
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Walkthrough 57 bus Reply with quote

There is a lot of weird stuff with it. A lot of modifications. They did put in an IRS into it. Not sure if it is an actual original walkthrough or how to tell. I have had somebody tell me it looks like it is but I'm am no expert. The seats do not rotate I just took them off then took a photo.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Walkthrough 57 bus Reply with quote

Brazilian bus?
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joe71885
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Walkthrough 57 bus Reply with quote

No, not a Brazilian, the work on it is not from a factory
Joe71885
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Walkthrough 57 bus Reply with quote

I will take some pictures of the walkthrough tomorrow and post them. But not to worried if it is original, just my bus and am trying to fix some of the stuff on it correctly. The previous owners mechanic made it work and did not do it correctly. It looks like he put silicone on the pushrod tubes on the engine to seal it from leaking. Just some weird stuff that makes you ask why.
nineteensixtyfiveVG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Walkthrough 57 bus Reply with quote

it has that floor vent between the seats like a baywindow. what comes out of there on this bus? Where is the other end of that vent?
Joe71885
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Walkthrough 57 bus Reply with quote

I dont think the sunroof is original.
Joe71885
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Walkthrough 57 bus Reply with quote

nineteensixtyfiveVG wrote:
it has that floor vent between the seats like a baywindow. what comes out of there on this bus? Where is the other end of that vent?

I have no idea, I will try to find out.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Walkthrough 57 bus Reply with quote

Quote:

nineteensixtyfiveVG wrote:

This is off the topic of his Bus but does heat come out of there on a Bay Window?
If so, I never knew that.

The entire raised lip that travels the width of the cargo floor is not normal on a Split Bus.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
d-rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Walkthrough 57 bus Reply with quote

No heater vent coming up to the dash there between the kick panels and yeah the whole under side looks like a bay or something...And yes heat comes out there between the seats on a bay I do believe
1967 panel/camper
1968 cig-panel *1/2
1968 passenger bus *1/2
1969 beetle
1969 dormobile
1978 sage green Westy
1990 DoKa
2002 Golf TDI
dms
Fred G. Sanford

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Walkthrough 57 bus Reply with quote

Wow it would be interesting to know where the split bus ends and continues onto bay window parts. It would be a ton of work to fit all the bay window chassis components onto a split bus chassis . It almost looks like a complete bay chassis with a split window body.
Whoever done it looks like they had a lot of autobody skills and time to invest into it.
Cool bus ! Cool
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Walkthrough 57 bus Reply with quote

Joe71885 wrote:
The tail lights didn't work and you could tell he was trying to diagnose it (Extra grounds to the tail/brake lights in the rear)

Ground wires are required if you want the stock taillights to work properly. VW finally added them to the stock harness in 1970.
Joe71885
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Walkthrough 57 bus Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Joe71885 wrote:
The tail lights didn't work and you could tell he was trying to diagnose it (Extra grounds to the tail/brake lights in the rear)

Ground wires are required if you want the stock taillights to work properly. VW finally added them to the stock harness in 1970.

Sorry extra ground wires.
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Walkthrough 57 bus Reply with quote

Your trans issue maybe because of the rebuilder, Don is known here in the valley for doing subpar work
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: My new Walkthrough 57 bus Reply with quote

has baywindow rear wheel arches also, can you post some pictures of the rockers and outriggers up underneath? maybe the front beam also? I'm just curious how much split window is left underneath
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: