Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rain gutter / side mount for traction mats?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: rain gutter / side mount for traction mats? Reply with quote

OK...over the years I've only seen maybe one thread about side mounting anything (skis/boards as I recall) so I'm looking
for experience/details/tips/tricks as I start a similar project...

My application will be for a pair of CCTM's (Cheap Chinese Traction Mats) hanging from the rain gutter. Starting with $25
of bombproof eBay mounts (seller lists $60/set of 6; I got just 2 for $25):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mounts: https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-GUTTER-ROOF-RAC...2749.l2649

I like them a lot - they're VERY sturdy, mount up perfectly & well clear of the poptop. I'll strap mount the mats only when
I need them & add a security cable through the holes as backup in case of strap failure &/or temptation minimizer:

In this mock-up the mats are still pretty loose/floppy, so further plans include:
- hang a "J" bracket below the mounts for holding mats in place while strapping in,
- light cross-bracing to secure entire structure as a unit (which I suppose you'd call a "rack"...???),
- rubber padding where rack may contact sheet metal & to keep ANYTHING from contacting glass... Shocked Shocked Shocked
- "quality" rattle-can paint job all around...basic black. Cool

I'm not a welder, so I'll be using probably 5/16 bolts & locking nuts. I figure the J-hook will be ~2" flat with a slot for the strap
at the bottom & the cross bracing will be small (maybe 1/2"?) angle stock. The mats weigh barely 11lbs, FWIW.

As mentioned, let me know if I'm really way off base with this...experience /tips /tricks /pointers /etc. greatly appreciated! Cool

------------

CCTM info/not directly mount related...

FWIW: I picked up the mats just recently on sale... Exclamation just $57/pair Exclamation ...after seeing them very well reviewed on YT:

Link

eBay link, FWIW: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-Recovery-Traction-Sand...2749.l2649

Good enough for me... Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>

Last edited by dhaavers on Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: rain gutter / side mount for traction mats? Reply with quote

Nice! I am contemplating doing the same thing. Perfect timing and thanks for sharing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: rain gutter / side mount for traction mats? Reply with quote

consider a suction mount on the glass to keep the mats from lifting at speed, and it would prevent banging. doesn't need to be weight bearing, just resist a pulling force.

https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Double-Suction-Windshie...&psc=1

those gutter mounts would be useful for carrying a variety of rilly long objects and have strength as long as the load can be inline directly below the mount or stopped from leveraging by the body/glass.

i've been stuck so many times this year snowplowing i'm looking at carrying mats in the truck. but i need something that can dip down into a hole created by a tire in snow.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: rain gutter / side mount for traction mats? Reply with quote

Cool, Dave!

Our sand ladders need a new spot, too. I'm leaning towards just forward of the vent, atop two to four stock cleats or similar, or at the very rear. To now they've always lived cozily in the luggage rack.

Tilt ladders forward for better front-end grip, or back for better liftoffs.
( Shocked )

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: rain gutter / side mount for traction mats? Reply with quote

Love Jeds stuff. Every van becomes a panel van.

https://campervanculture.com/shop/vw-t25-t3-vanago...d-mat-etc/
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: rain gutter / side mount for traction mats? Reply with quote

Thanks for the chatter, all y'all...

I really like the secure suction cup idea...I'll be working on that! Cool

I settled on the side mount because in road trip mode our luggage rack is already full (propane grill,
camp chairs, spare gas) so I didn't want to try to cram the mats up top, plus I figure it'll be much
easier to unstrap from near ground level when the mats are actually needed...

Yeah, if I had the budget I'd spring for a system like the CVC blokes, but like I've said before:

...I'm CHEAP! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Laughing Wink Cool

Updates to follow...

- Dave

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: rain gutter / side mount for traction mats? Reply with quote

Squeezed in a little time this afternoon...current mock up on the first side:

Rubber pads hold it all away from the window & the suction cup (when it arrives) will hold it down in place.

Currently sits about 1" clear of all sheet metal & glass. All about harmony...balance...yin/yang...whatever... Wink

As always, comments welcome...

- Dave

WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: rain gutter / side mount for traction mats? Reply with quote

Think you could rig something up to connect to those mounts to do like a surfboard rack?
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: rain gutter / side mount for traction mats? Reply with quote

^^^ The mounts are very sturdy & it shouldn't be any harder than what I'm doing...I say go for it! Cool

- Dave

SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: rain gutter / side mount for traction mats? Reply with quote

Cool idea! How thick are those traction mats stacked?
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: rain gutter / side mount for traction mats? Reply with quote

Ive seen a number of vans with the rear drivers side window removed and replaced with some panel. Not sure if its glass or metal or plastic. That window serves as no good to me, in fact its a bit of a nuisance at times.

That panel would provide a lot of use as a mounting board. Definitely don't want to hijack the thread so Ill look around. Interested in knowing how that's done (replacing the window). Might be an option for you too.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: rain gutter / side mount for traction mats? Reply with quote

My Chinese mats measure up at 4" stacked (2 mats)...in comparison, the brand name looks to be about 2-1/2" or so...???

That's OK for me - I'm not a hardcore offroader, I just want these along for insurance once in a while...

I considered mounting on the back hatch but didn't really want to add the weight there, plus the side mount is
always easily accessible, plus didn't want to cover any more window than necessary (we like windows! Smile ),
plus I'm cheap and didn't want to spring for a whole window-out replacement-panel mod, so here we go.

Would be great to see these other ideas...post 'em up! Cool

- Dave

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: rain gutter / side mount for traction mats? Reply with quote

These gutter mounts I would prefer them to have a wider base. You say they work so that's good. Is there any rubber cushion under the feet to protect the base paint?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: rain gutter / side mount for traction mats? Reply with quote

You could easily flip over the tall part & have the wider end in the gutter, just need to drill a new hole for the clamp bolt.

I used some cheap edge trim to cushion the parts that touch the paint:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BKSGVWG/ref=twister_B00N9VG9WK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Cool

- Dave

kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: rain gutter / side mount for traction mats? Reply with quote

this llooks great!

I'm looking for some way to carry skis, and I like the idea of right alongside the van. I like where you are going with this - please post more pics.

Am I correct in saying you have not put any holes in the body? It is a little hard to tell from the photos.

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: rain gutter / side mount for traction mats? Reply with quote

AZ Landshaper wrote:
Ive seen a number of vans with the rear drivers side window removed and replaced with some panel. Not sure if its glass or metal or plastic.

It would be pretty easy to remove that window, trace the shape on aluminum of the same thickness and then mount the tracks to that. You could even spruce it up with a few cans of custom-match paint and match your van color to give it that panel-van look.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: rain gutter / side mount for traction mats? Reply with quote

izzydog wrote:
AZ Landshaper wrote:
Ive seen a number of vans with the rear drivers side window removed and replaced with some panel. Not sure if its glass or metal or plastic.

It would be pretty easy to remove that window, trace the shape on aluminum of the same thickness and then mount the tracks to that. You could even spruce it up with a few cans of custom-match paint and match your van color to give it that panel-van look.

Put on the tires and use the maxtraxx spare tire mount. I think it will work with the chinese ones too because it doesnt use the mounting pins.

https://www.vanagonlife.com/vanagonshop/rearvowL
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: rain gutter / side mount for traction mats? Reply with quote

^^^ Bad link... Evil or Very Mad

FIFY: khttps://www.vanagonlife.com/vanagonshop/rearvow

Cool

- Dave

elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: rain gutter / side mount for traction mats? Reply with quote

I dont know how internet
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: rain gutter / side mount for traction mats? Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
FIFY: khttps://www.vanagonlife.com/vanagonshop/rearvow

Rolling Eyes not quite.
extra K there before the http Cool Wink
https://www.vanagonlife.com/vanagonshop/rearvow
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: