Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WW safari window disengager types help please
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazy horse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: WW safari window disengager types help please Reply with quote

hi guys,
i am looking for some WW safari window disengagers....are there different types..i.e external or internal type...
many thanks
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: WW safari window disengager types help please Reply with quote

55-64 came with internal.
65-67 had external.

If you need the early style... good luck getting reproduction ones to engage/disengage. Original are far superior, and very hard to find.
There's an early complete set in the UK for sale right now for 1500 GBP... expensive... but probably worth it in the end.

If you need the late style... disengagers are simple.

It will be worth reading these three threads:
Safaris Discussion thread
Safaris - installing and threaded plate?
Best one-eyed duck repro
e
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: WW safari window disengager types help please Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
If you need the early style... good luck getting reproduction ones to engage/disengage. Original are far superior, and very hard to find.
There's an early complete set in the UK for sale right now for 1500 GBP... expensive... but probably worth it in the end.

I thought I would clarify for people like me who read that as the disengagers alone being 1500GBP (which sounded insane) that 1500GBP is a complete safari window setup:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1813051
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: WW safari window disengager types help please Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
65-67 had external.

Best one-eyed duck repro
e

Is there a fix for the aftermarket ones or? just curious what the problem is.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: WW safari window disengager types help please Reply with quote

Wiper pivots on safaris are strictly for looks anyway. None of them do anything but smear the rain around.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: WW safari window disengager types help please Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
easy e wrote:
65-67 had external.

Best one-eyed duck repro
e

Is there a fix for the aftermarket ones or? just curious what the problem is.
Loose tolerances let moving pieces get askew & bind.
There's a spot welded tab limiting vertical motion of the ball pivot piece... it's too far away from the bottom thick piece (too much slop).

Need to drill spot welds + move tab down + re-weld tab (to remove slop) OR create a spacer/shim to affix to the bottom surface of the tab (to take up slop).
See this post & the four above it:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7136569#7136569

Malokin Martin wrote:
Wiper pivots on safaris are strictly for looks anyway. None of them do anything but smear the rain around.

Wiper pivots on safaris are strictly for function. None of them come in contact with rain (they're inside the bus). Maybe you are thinking of wiper blades?
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: WW safari window disengager types help please Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
Malokin Martin wrote:

Wiper pivots on safaris are strictly for function. None of them come in contact with rain (they're inside the bus). Maybe you are thinking of wiper blades?

You mean like this piece that’s outside the bus?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If so, then the they work as good in the rain as removing the entire arm.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: WW safari window disengager types help please Reply with quote

Crofty was inquiring about the early (inside the bus) wiper pivots.
I didn’t even have the late (external) disingagers, on my mind.

The late style appears to be pushed further away from the glass.
Assuming your blades are in good order...
Maybe bend the arm towards the glass... and the added pressure will make them more effective?
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: WW safari window disengager types help please Reply with quote

There was someone back in the 90's that was making the early style disengagers, and they were awesome; I wish I'd bought a couple extra sets.

What's sad is to make these _right_ wouldn't have cost much more than to make them wrong.
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: WW safari window disengager types help please Reply with quote

thom wrote:
There was someone back in the 90's that was making the early style disengagers, and they were awesome; I wish I'd bought a couple extra sets.

What's sad is to make these _right_ wouldn't have cost much more than to make them wrong.

Yeah! I bought a pair of those back in the 90's when they first were reproduced (someone reputable out on the left coast as I remember). I've never used them, still have 'em somewhere and might use 'em someday on one of my Buses. They look beautifully machined. I'll have to look for and dig them out. If I find 'em, I'll post a few photos.

And in a related topic, Susan Crandall Dolvin and I and a few other VW nutjobs were rootin' through the dark, dusty part shelves of the Vintage VW parts department in the VW Automuseum near the Wolfsburg factory grounds way back in the mid 1990's when I hear her holler out from a few dark aisles away. I run over and she had discovered 6 or 7 NOS pairs of the later '65-'67 Safari wiper disconnects in a dingy drawer. She bought them all and in the car heading back to our hotel I bought a pair from her. Man, we got a lot of cool, old NOS VW parts for pretty cheap out of that VW Parts department back in the '90's! REALLY good times!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: WW safari window disengager types help please Reply with quote

I was looking for something this weekend and found a set of safari disconnects of unknown origin and unknown application. They are very nice, I'm sure someone would try to pawn them off as NOS. They are a lot longer than the other disconnects I have.

For comparison, I dragged out the other sets I have and took some pix for comparison. The goldish ones on the left are CIP1, the long once in the center is the mystery part, and the one on the right is of unknown provenance.

Notice how the CIP1 part doesn't even have the same thread, so they have to give you some crappy little nut to hold them on. Also notice how the inner support bracket is much larger than the shaft it's supposed to be containing.

1957 23-Window Deluxe
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: WW safari window disengager types help please Reply with quote

That one in the middle could be a Barndoor disengager. It has the typical spotweld divots on the backside. The shaft and threaded sleeve are longer than a later bus. But, so are BD nonsafari pivots. Someone with a BD safari equipped bus must know if that is correct for a BD.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: WW safari window disengager types help please Reply with quote

Nice comparative pics thom.

The shitty CIP one made out of lamp parts isn't even worth talking about.

cru62 has the BD one nailed... original goodness. You did good finding those! AFAIK... no one reproduces the BD style.

The other 55-64 one is repro... maybe one of the old nicer repros that Thom and Bill were referring to.

You can tell it's not original because:
Doesn't have the divots on the reverse, as cru62 noted.
The center of the ball is higher above the flat swiveling plate (than the BD one... they should be same height).
The swiveling plate is thinner than the BD one.
The ball is attached to the swiveling plate differently than the BD one.
The u-shaped frame has a bowed back and horizontal parts of the frame aren't horizontal/parallel, like the BD one.

Just curious... does it have downward pointing pin in the channel of the bigger round piece... that pokes into the swiveling plate?

Can see the pin/little receiving hole in the pic below...

BeaterBarndoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: WW safari window disengager types help please Reply with quote

I think that center one may be for early post BD, maybe 55-58 or so? If you poke around I think standard wiper shafts for earlier post BD buses had a slightly longer pin/threaded shaft. Barndoor is definitely different in size. Here’s a photo I borrowed , BD being the 2 center ones.
It does look original to me though. Man, that CIP one is hideous

Whaaaaat?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: WW safari window disengager types help please Reply with quote

The "barndoor" one in my collection does not have the pin
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: WW safari window disengager types help please Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:

You live on the dry side. Smile. There wipers are decorative. Lol
As someone who lived on the wet side daily driving splitties you do need good condition and good quality blades to make the wipers work well, as with any car.

My red 61 is an og safari bus, and the wipers work fine. One pivot was og to the bus when I got it, afaik. It has a wee bit of slop. The other I bought NOS about 50k miles ago, it is super nice still. That bus has a lot of rainy miles on. Including to Havasu this year.

I saw some repros that brand new that had about a third of the travel area as slop. I would find that very annoying.
Originals are probably hard to find. I found a pair once on the site listed as ‘wiper parts’ in the general section. That was a fluke.

Sorry my advice isnt easy like here’s a great repro for $100 the pair.
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: WW safari window disengager types help please Reply with quote

BeaterBarndoor wrote:
I think that center one may be for early post BD, maybe 55-58 or so? If you poke around I think standard wiper shafts for earlier post BD buses had a slightly longer pin/threaded shaft. Barndoor is definitely different in size. Here’s a photo I borrowed , BD being the 2 center ones.
It does look original to me though. Man, that CIP one is hideous

Not positive but the 2 in the center of that picture, look no longer than the one posted earlier? Maybe even shorter?
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: WW safari window disengager types help please Reply with quote

Tried installing a set of the CIP ones yesterday. the ball that connects the linkage rod is a bit too big too. Just thought i'd add some actual hands on experience to this topic.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: WW safari window disengager types help please Reply with quote

I was holding out to buy some from CIP-1 because they were cheaper (but always out of stock) .After reading this thread I'm rethinking that move.Does anyone have any fead back on the ones that Wolfgang sells ,(the older internal ones) ?
Dewayne Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: WW safari window disengager types help please Reply with quote

I had a set from Wolfgang on my DC and used them for years. Once in a while they would stick in the engaged position, probably from not being disengaged for a long period. Otherwise, no slop, no problem...

Drive 'em if ya got 'em, and don't brag if you didn't do the work yourself...

'64 SO34
'60 SO23
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: