Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering lock KOLB is not lock! SOLVED!
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ofir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Steering lock KOLB is not lock! SOLVED! Reply with quote

Hi,
I have bug 1966 with euro style steering lock,
When i remove the key, the pin inside the steering lock won't go out, and the steering wheel is not locked.
Any idea how to fix it?
Also, good working steering lock will not let you move the switch to the starter after you did it once, to avoid damage.
In my steering lock I can move the switch how much i want, it should not work this way.

Any idea how to fix it?
I have few extra steering locks that are working good, but i want to fix it.

Thanks

Last edited by Ofir on Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Steering lock is not lock! Reply with quote

Lots can go wrong, and it sounds like you may have multiple issues... pin stuck or broken, non-repeat mechanism jammed or broken... a prior owner (or burglar!) may have forced things and broken it apart internally.

Maybe the best thing to do is to take one of your spares apart to see how it's supposed to look, then go after your broken unit and see what is different.
Ofir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Steering lock is not lock! Reply with quote

It is easy job to replace the steering lock?
I have the NOS shear bolts, more few units of steering locks.

I guess someone broke it in the last 53 years.
I have the car almost 20 years.
Found the picture in the gallery.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Steering lock is not lock! Reply with quote

Well you are way ahead with spares and new bolts. You might try to find normal bolts to use while trial fitting one or more locks, then replace them with the shear bolts once it's all working.

I've never taken a lock apart, but there are some photos of the lock and the special tabs welded to the steering shaft inside the column that make clearer how it works.
Ofir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Steering lock is not lock! Reply with quote

Sure,
Thank you
Ofir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering lock is not lock! Reply with quote

Hi,
I replaced today the KOLB steering lock with another one that I bought from Germany.
The job is not that much difficult as I thought.
First, I put a little special oil to both screws, so it will be easier to release the old screws that was sitting there many years.
One screw had the square head attach to it, so it was easy to remove with 9mm.
The other one was flat, I removed it with a drill till it came loose and I open it.
The non-repeat mechanism is working well now, also the steering is locked when the key is removed! Smile
I placed NOS shear bolts & washers but didn't cut the square head, so it will be easy to remove it in the future.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: