Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CA emissions fail
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: CA emissions fail Reply with quote

Certainly ck your fuel mileage before you do anything else. To set the timing correctly on a Tiico engine requires being plugged into a scan tool. I would be shocked if a old Audi mechanic cannot do that. The timing is computer controlled so if you set it with a timing light or by ear with out the scan tool plugged in the computer can work against you. So if he just moved the timing 5 degrees and now it passes the test I would want to put it back where it was. Better yet if it’s not what your mechanic did, set it up with the scan tool and make sure it is in specifications. The scan tool for the Tiico engine is very specific and only works on certain early Audi’s ,VW and some VW based european cars. So most mechanics don’t have one. I have to borrow it when I need it myself. I know you are on the Tiico Yahoo group. They have all of manuals on the group. I downloaded them and put them in a binder that I keep in the van with my Bentley so I always have the information if I need it. That goes double if you are paying someone to do the work. You have to provide them with the manuals because they certainly won’t have them. If you are still thinking of updating your ECM the people at FAS are a great resource as well. Good luck. John
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: CA emissions fail Reply with quote

82westyrabbit wrote:
Certainly ck your fuel mileage before you do anything else. To set the timing correctly on a Tiico engine requires being plugged into a scan tool. I would be shocked if a old Audi mechanic cannot do that. The timing is computer controlled so if you set it with a timing light or by ear with out the scan tool plugged in the computer can work against you. So if he just moved the timing 5 degrees and now it passes the test I would want to put it back where it was. Better yet if it’s not what your mechanic did, set it up with the scan tool and make sure it is in specifications. The scan tool for the Tiico engine is very specific and only works on certain early Audi’s ,VW and some VW based european cars. So most mechanics don’t have one. I have to borrow it when I need it myself. I know you are on the Tiico Yahoo group. They have all of manuals on the group. I downloaded them and put them in a binder that I keep in the van with my Bentley so I always have the information if I need it. That goes double if you are paying someone to do the work. You have to provide them with the manuals because they certainly won’t have them. If you are still thinking of updating your ECM the people at FAS are a great resource as well. Good luck. John

Thanks 82. Your feedback is very helpful and informative. When I talked to my mechanic on the phone he was going on about OBD1 and OBD2. If I understood right the tiico is OBD1. I did have a list of pinouts from the previous owner and I suspected it was for the OBD. I'll call him this PM and ask about resetting the timing and plugs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: CA emissions fail Reply with quote

Yes it’s OBD1. But it plugs into a OBD2 connection (at least on mine). To be clear, the system is an OBD 1, but it plugs into an OBD 2 port. The scan tool is very specific either a VW vag tool or Ross tec software that runs on a computer. The Ross Tec software is pretty good and let’s you watch what all you sensors are doing. But is too expensive for just one vehicle in my opinion. I don’t think it will be too hard to find a shop that can take care of that for you. I researched this system pretty thoroughly about a year ago if you have questions. There are also people here that know it better than me. Feel free to ask. John
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: CA emissions fail Reply with quote

It's not even real OBD1.

That's good you are legal but I don't think you should settle for that ....

You asked about if you should return the timing to its original position ... but how do you know what it was and if it was correct to start with ?

Here are some ramblings .....

The marks are all there as westyrabbit says. I use a timing light with an offset ( instructions on yahoo group ) and the VCDS program.

If you really want to get the system right, a tailpipe sniffer and VCDS Rosstech software hooked into the ECU will help you really dial it in properly.

Also, depending on your version of the ECU, the timing is DIFFERENT. You'll have to spend some more time knocking around the yahoo groups to get the details as I don't want to quote something that may be off or incorrect. One ECU uses 6, one uses 10.

One of the curses of this motor is how well it can run even when all the basic setup can be quite off.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: