Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Horn stopped working after steering box & front axle beam were r
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poorjimmy5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Horn stopped working after steering box & front axle beam were r Reply with quote

As the title says, my horn stopped working after I had the steering box and the front axle beam were replaced. Now it may be a coincidence that before my horn worked and after it didn't, but on the chance one begot the other I have to ask: Is there any electrical connection that may have been disturbed by the removal and replacement of these two parts?

I have checked that the horn has both wires attached. While the car was running I was getting a light from my current detector tool when I grounded it and touched BOTH connections to the horn. This happened if the horn was pushed or not. I was expecting to only have the light turn on in the tool when the horn was pushed, but honestly I have no idea what I'm doing. Please help. Hahahahaha
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn stopped working after steering box & front axle beam were r Reply with quote

The ground path of the horn is via the steering box and to the axle beam, so yeah it sounds like there's a good chance that the issue is related to the work you had done. Very Happy

The horn is powered all the time. The button in the steering wheel makes the ground connection, via a wire that runs down the steering column, jumps over the steering coupler, through the steering box and then via a wire from the steering box to one of the beam mounting bolts if I recall correctly.

So check that out.
Poorjimmy5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn stopped working after steering box & front axle beam were r Reply with quote

A-ha! Thank you!

So...where exactly am I looking...exactly?
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

See if this jumper wire is missing at the steering coupler above the steering box.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Poorjimmy5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Horn stopped working after steering box & front axle beam were r Reply with quote

Great! Thank you!

Obviously I have to get to this from under the Thing right, so do you think I need a lift or can just shimmy under and do his? Or perhaps run her up on some ramps in the front?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to do this right.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Horn stopped working after steering box & front axle beam were r Reply with quote

You can do it by removing the drivers side front tire and putting the beam on jack stands and reaching over the brake drum.
Poorjimmy5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Horn stopped working after steering box & front axle beam were r Reply with quote

Cool. Thanks!

I will do it this weekend and let you know how it turns out. I hope the "jumper" is still there and just not connected on one side because I don't have the replacement part (yet)! Laughing
Poorjimmy5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn stopped working after steering box & front axle beam were r Reply with quote

Bingo! Guess I have to order one! Thanks! Will let you know if that fixes the horn problem.

sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn stopped working after steering box & front axle beam were r Reply with quote

Shitty work by whoever did the job, what happened to the wire down the center of the steering column? If the horn worked before then it must have been there.

Whoever put the new coupler in fucked up on the hardware, you want self-locking nuts on those coupler bolts. Should have washers too.
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn stopped working after steering box & front axle beam were r Reply with quote

Things never had a ground wire down the steering column, but it is missing the jumper wire. As suggested, the coupler needs to be corrected.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Poorjimmy5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn stopped working after steering box & front axle beam were r Reply with quote

Does anyone have the part numbers for the couple hardware that I need? I would like to get it back to the correct way.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Horn stopped working after steering box & front axle beam were r Reply with quote

Al Capulco wrote:
Things never had a ground wire down the steering column, but it is missing the jumper wire. As suggested, the coupler needs to be corrected.

Well that explains that! Laughing

Jumper wire is easy enough to make.

For the coupler hardware you want M8x35mm bolts (1.25 thread pitch) and M8 NyLock nuts, and M8 flat washers.

I got the hardware from BelMetric but you can get from any metric hardware supplier.

Those bolts don't get torqued down too tight, I think only about 11 ft-lbs., so you definitely want the NyLock nuts. It would not be a fun time for those to come loose.

https://www.belmetric.com/8x125-coarse-109-c-506_5...fo3g6vlb17
Poorjimmy5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn stopped working after steering box & front axle beam were r Reply with quote

Ok, removed all the incorrect hardware and installed correct hardware and installed the crossover ground strap.

Unfortunately even after that, the horn didn't work! Then I found this...

There is a considerable gap, with no electrical contact! Is this NOW my problem? And if it is, how do I fix it? Or does the current go through the shaft and this none connection across the gap not come in to play at all?

This is so confusing. The horn worked before the mechanic changed the steering box and front axle beam, and now that I sorted that out, did he ALSO screw up the gap? Some how widening it? Anybody have a theory?

Oh and one other thing, when I was down there working with the drivers side front tire off I looked across to the opposite shock and found he left off the cover that protects the shaft that runs into the shock! Dammit!!!! So pissed. Never going back there!
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn stopped working after steering box & front axle beam were r Reply with quote

Yes, the gap is too large, that copper strip must make contact with the bottom of the steering wheel. Just loosen the 2 bolts that hold the steering column to the bottom of the dash, and pull up toward the wheel. You are just looking to get the copper strip to touch the bottom of the steering wheel. You may want to get yourself a parts book and an orange Bentley service manual, they can be very helpful.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Horn stopped working after steering box & front axle beam were r Reply with quote

If you can't make up the gap Al's way there is also some adjustment at those flanges on both sides of the coupler.

The pinch bolts on the clamps on either side of the coupler can be loosened the column can theoretically be moved in and out.

I say theoretically because the upper flange and steering column are probably rusted together pretty good - yours don't look like they've moved in a long time.

That leaves the lower flange on the steering box and probably where the issue came from. The mechanic may not have bottomed out the lower clamp on the steering box input shaft, causing your steering wheel to be out too far.

That would be easier to fix as the parts haven't rusted together yet. You could loosen the pinch bolt on that clamp, then while pulling the coupler & column forward against the spring, snug the clamp bolt back up.
Poorjimmy5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn stopped working after steering box & front axle beam were r Reply with quote

Al Capulco wrote:
Yes, the gap is too large, that copper strip must make contact with the bottom of the steering wheel. Just loosen the 2 bolts that hold the steering column to the bottom of the dash, and pull up toward the wheel. You are just looking to get the copper strip to touch the bottom of the steering wheel. You may want to get yourself a parts book and an orange Bentley service manual, they can be very helpful.

Ok, I loosed the 2 bolts that hold the steering column to the bottom of the dash but couldn't get it to move UNTIL I also loosed the hex bolt under the steering column (in the cluster that is attached to the steering column and houses the directional and wiper arms). Closed the gap and tightened everything up. Still no horn. Argh! What now?

Should I not have loosened the hex bolt and just kept yanking on the steering column until the gap closed? I will double check this when the weather gets better. In the meantime, I will consider the book purchases, but will the help answer specific queries like I have or will it just give me general knowledge that MAYBE if can figure out an answer from?
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn stopped working after steering box & front axle beam were r Reply with quote

Free manuals are on this website if you did not know. https://riverdrivedesigns.com/vw/
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273

Last edited by obus on Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Poorjimmy5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn stopped working after steering box & front axle beam were r Reply with quote

Thank you. I will peruse when I have the stomach to look at my Thing again...
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn stopped working after steering box & front axle beam were r Reply with quote

I saw that you made the jumper over the coupler, but did you also run a ground wire from the steering box to the front axle?

My apologies if this is not how it's done on Things (I was not aware that the Thing didn't have the wire down the steering column), but my Type 3 has a wire that then connects from the top of the steering box to one of the axle beam mounting bolts to make the final ground connection.
Poorjimmy5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn stopped working after steering box & front axle beam were r Reply with quote

I do not know either way at the moment...but I do know that I didn't run one from the steering box to the front axle. I have not heard of one, but them again I am a novice at all this. Thank you for the suggestion either way my friend.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: