Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Not a Notch resto
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, today was installing the ISP sunroof seals, and installing the sunroof. Sorry, but not pics as I was busy.
Funny how that seal has a 362 part number, but the slots cut in it fit a beetle sunroof. Shocked I know what's going on though, as ISP just "repackaged" 2 long bug seals and labeled them with the 362 part number. I say that, as I've used the long bug seals before on this car, so I knew I had to cut my own slots where I needed them. Remember, with a sunroof, the rear of it gets flipped 90* from the rest of the opening/seal layout, as it gets glued to the inner upper roof. That job is always fun, as gravity likes to work against you. Needless to say, the blue rubber piece of the bead didn't stay put, and once the "seal" was glued in place, the aluminum strip was higher on the ends than the bead was. d'oh! Disappointing to say the least. Needless to say that made getting the roof panel in a little bit of a chore. I swear, I really think I should have just left the f'n car alone, and not even bothered doing anything to it. The paint looks good now, but...
Anyway, I got a good look at the windshield seal today too. The gaps have stopped closing up, and now the corners are starting to suck in. No wonder Dan and Neena hate their window seal on their 69, as this one isn't much better (should have used more silicone Tram Wink ). At this point I have 2 choices, fill everything with window weld so it won't leak (car stays parked outside), or pull the window and install the WCM seal on it, and install that and forget it.

On another note, I feel sorry for people like Steve, Monte, and Leo, as they're spending a lot of time and money restoring their cars, only to find themselves disappointed when it comes to putting their cars all back together using the crap fitting parts we have these days. I really think stuff was better 10 or 15 years ago, even if it wasn't NOS. Shocked
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

On another note, I feel sorry for people like Steve, Monte, and Leo, as they're spending a lot of time and money restoring their cars, only to find themselves disappointed when it comes to putting their cars all back together using the crap fitting parts we have these days. I really think stuff was better 10 or 15 years ago, even if it wasn't NOS. Shocked

Not looking forward to this Bob. I spoke with ISPW last week and was looking over their site on rubber and seal items and was planning on placing my order tomorrow. Sad Will ask the questions on the front and rears seals. Uhhh. Crying or Very sad
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

Not looking forward to this Bob. I spoke with ISPW last week and was looking over their site on rubber and seal items and was planning on placing my order tomorrow. Sad Will ask the questions on the front and rears seals. Uhhh. Crying or Very sad

Definitely talk to a human over there. That's what Leo did, and he got a "blocked" style, new style seal for the windshield. I think the kits get the old style seal, until they can get rid of them, then they'll go new style for all, but up the price. Their website doesn't show the new style seal listed, so you have to ask (again talk to a human). The rear seal should be ok, as there's never really been a problem with them. Same applies to the very rear side glass, as they've been fine. At this point right now, I'm wanting to see how long it is before the new tail light housing to fender seals last before they start cracking. I say that, as they felt a little thin when I installed them, but they were very soft (my last set lasted 6 months Shocked ). The engine hatch seal seems a little long, and slightly too wide, compared to the WCM seals I've used in the past (they fit the slot perfectly, and were the correct length).
I can't comment on their fresh air box seals, as I'm not using them. I've got some material here I plan to use in it's place. My CIP door seals still are holding up just fine after 15 years, but the ISP door seals that they offer, are for the early cars (yours might be the last year for them), but I can't comment on how long they'll live. My wife's car got NOS German seals back in 1990 when you could still get them and they're still in fantastic shape. My old 71 Notch got cleaned up OE seals, as they were still in good shape.

Sorry if this is starting to sound like a rant, but we really need some honest product testing, with results. And I don't mean from garaged cars in the NE, or from SoCal, but from other areas of the country, and from cars that aren't always pampered (Like Dan and Neena's car being used, and used quite often). I think this will probably help everyone in the long run, as not all of us can find/afford NOS only parts for our cars.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed the windshield & used a new seal from CIP1 and found no issues (lucky? ). The new vent box seals from ISP fit great. I think you hit the nail on the head with the need for better product testing.
Your notch is looking great Applause
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, not looking fwd to the window install now. I talked to isp and all there window seals are the sam so I'm thinking my windows will fitt the same as yours. Crying or Very sad the notch is looking good keep at it. Maybe some day we will get a good source for rubber. For now I think it is what it is and I'm just glad it's out there even though it's not proper. But I'm always trying to look on the bright side of things. Laughing
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69 Notchback wrote:
Bob, not looking fwd to the window install now. I talked to isp and all there window seals are the sam so I'm thinking my windows will fitt the same as yours. Crying or Very sad

Well, if that's true, then we're all doomed. Laughing Is this their "improved" seal? If so, it leaves a lot to be desired. I thought their new seal was a "blocked" seal.

Yeah, the Notch is coming along nicely (other that the front seal), and should be back on the road by the end of the month (I've got other stuff going on too, so I won't have the time needed to just knock it out Wink ).
Thanks for the compliments though, they soften the blow. Cool
I've still got to sandblast the fresh air boxes, and paint them, before they go back in. Then the wiper motor can go in along with the glove box and radio. Those are currently out, as the fresh air boxes are the first to go in (last to come out too). Going to try and blast them today since it's not raining at the moment.

eyetzr, I do think more "real world" product testing is needed, so we can get real results. I'm not scared to call out something, or try new things though, but I'm getting too old for the kind of crap Josh and Pete are dealing with (brakes). It is what it is, I don't care how you spin it. Rolling Eyes If you have to modify something for it to work, then it's "not a bolt on" part. Simple. Don't get all butt hurt because you got called out on it. Laughing Type 3 guys have thick skin, but little patience for stuff that doesn't fit right. Add in that we're kind of limited on parts we CAN use. Rolling Eyes And aftermarket parts seem to take twice as long to install than parts actually designed for our cars. Shocked
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did get the air boxes sandblasted, primed, and painted last week. I also glued on some seals, and finally got them installed. While I had them apart, I added some truck bed to cap sealer foam to the flap pcs (like I did on the T-34). Hopefully that should keep them from leaking in the rain.
Once they got installed, it was time for the wiper motor assembly, since the air boxes are the 1st parts in, and the last parts out. The windshield squirter also got hosed and installed along with the middle heater outlet and it's tubing.

Any way, last saturday I worked on installing the sunroof. What I found once everything was back together, felt like the cables were worn out (I did see some worn flat spots too). So, I ordered up a pair of bus cables from the Bus Depot (in PA). These are for a 68 to 79 bus, and were reasonably priced. They are also 101 inches long (t-3's are 52 3/8ths inches long), so I had to cut them down (modify them for t-3 use).
Here's the first mod to them. The full length wouldn't fit in the pic. Wink
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(step 1 cut to new length)

(here's the cut off pc with the shortened pcs)

(this shows the end on the bus cable, and my mod to be able to install some sort of end like they did)

showing the cable mod (step 2) I used the cut off pc as a sample for ideas.

What I used for the end.(step 3)

trimed and ready for install (step 4)

Ok, so they got installed, and I thought I would be good to go, EXCEPT, the left side was working fine, but the right side just sat there and didn't move. WTF?? So I pulled the center parts out (under the top center cover), and then found my old parts (65 vintage), so I could compare them. Here's 2 pics of what I found. Can you spot the difference?

It's the cable shim tab that's missing. Shocked Needless to say this is an ISP part, and I wondered why it looked used when I took it out of the bag (you can see the fresh rust on it where the cable rides). d'oh! Brick wall I'm guessing someone tried to use this part before me, found it wouldn't work, and returned it, then ISP re-sold it (to me). Rolling Eyes I swear to gawd that they are just sending out junk with no quality control. Evil or Very Mad
Once I installed my old shim plate, the sunroof started working correctly. Cool Hell, maybe my old cables would have still worked, had I gotten a GOOD part. Shocked Looks like I'll be looking thru Wolfsburg West's, and Airhead Parts's catalogs tonite, and see about getting another NEW shim plate.
As much as I need a couple of parts from ISP, I'm done with buying from them. Evil or Very Mad
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a heads up, have a local truck shop that does custom crimped control cables of all sizes, types, and ends. You may have someone in your neighborhood that does similar stuff for those oddball cable repairs instead of inferior repop parts.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
Just a heads up, have a local truck shop that does custom crimped control cables of all sizes, types, and ends. You may have someone in your neighborhood that does similar stuff for those oddball cable repairs instead of inferior repop parts.

The bus cable itself works just fine, but it's too long. The metal spiral around the outside IS what does the work, as it meshes with the drive gear. The metal tabs on the shim plate help the cable engage into the drive gear. What the inner cables job (that 1/2 inch where I removed the spiral), actually does, is pull/push the rear anchor point (the flipper) forward and backward. The spiral part does spin some too, but not as much as you'd think. I say that, as the inner spins with it.

As for having a truck shop or cable shop add an end, that would be great, but I got the cables on saturday, and installed them on sunday, and nobody around here was open on the weekend that does that sort of thing. Rolling Eyes Now that I know what was wrong with my sunroof set up, I could have the ends fixed correctly, and or maybe re-install my old cables.

Now that I know how the cable set up works, I might be able to replace my original cables too (been thinking about it). Not for sure it can be done, but I do think it's possible. The bus cables were originally from EIS parts, that the Bus Depot sells. I might try and contact them to see about just buying the cable itself, then it would be possible to "re-cable" your sunroof cables.
My son suggested trying some Rabbit/Jetta cables, since it uses a similar set up (might be closer to the same size too). But, I don't know who actually sells rabbit/Jetta parts, other than the Parts Place, but I never saw them listed in their catalog.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Not a Notch resto Reply with quote

Yeah, always a pita when you're happy to install something but find out you've been sold used parts Rolling Eyes

But still, keep up the good work Cool
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Not a Notch resto Reply with quote

andybla wrote:
Yeah, always a pita when you're happy to install something but find out you've been sold used parts Rolling Eyes

But still, keep up the good work Cool

The thing that ticked me off the most was it was a broken "used" part. Meaning someone had it before me, broke it, then returned it. Then ISP "resold" it without looking it over (No quality control) to me. Then I'm installing it trying to figure out why it doesn't work. I ended up using my OE parts, and what do you know, it all works just fine now. That ISP piece is now part of my "wall of shame", along with a brand new metal fuel filter that you can't even blow thru. Shocked
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Not a Notch resto Reply with quote

Not an ISP plug, but they know what they are doing there at ISP. While sourcing NOS parts for my '65 sunroof Variant, I ran into so many variations of sunroof parts, you wouldn't believe. Some with the same part number but different suffix (a/b) and it was the same part but for different model/year. As far as that metal reinforcement, there are about 5 or 6 lower plastic guide with different reinforcements. Some ause a very small tab, some are the full metal plate with and without the tab or the metal plate at all.

Martin
allwagons

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Not a Notch resto Reply with quote

Here are some of the different lowers I ran into, all with a type 3 part number.

and this is some's attempt at tensioning the cables, I assume it worked as I removed it from a late working sunroof car.

and two slightly different top metal plates.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Not a Notch resto Reply with quote

Makes you wonder why there are so many different parts for the same purpose Confused
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Not a Notch resto Reply with quote

andybla wrote:
Makes you wonder why there are so many different parts for the same purpose Confused

Progressive improvements on its faults no doubt. If you know how to use them right they last a very long time. Start abusing them - over open, tighten to tight, let a 4 year old dick with it and so on then shit breaks. I wouldn't call them "sturdy" by any means. But a properly, greased/adjusted one is not delicate either.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Not a Notch resto Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:

...and two slightly different top metal plates.

And both of yours have 2 tabs, compared to mine of which only 1 plate has 2 tabs.

It's also supposed to be for a 65 too.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Not a Notch resto Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
ALLWAGONS wrote:

And both of yours have 2 tabs, compared to mine of which only 1 plate has 2 tabs.

I ended up using the one tab one on my car.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Not a Notch resto Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
ALLWAGONS wrote:

I ended up using the one tab one on my car.

And I re-installed the original 2 tab in mine to make it work.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: