Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My new Walkthrough 57 bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: My new Walkthrough 57 bus Reply with quote

Type 4 motor to boot. This thing is certainly a bastard child but it sounds like your up to the task. Enjoy it!
Joe71885
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: My new Walkthrough 57 bus Reply with quote

And 091 transmission!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: My new Walkthrough 57 bus Reply with quote

Missing the cooling fan intake screen. Just had a local fellow heat up his engine without that screen recently. Helps to keep debris from clogging up the fan.

You should start a thread in the late bus forum and post image of the engine, so those there can catch any other slip ups. Maybe title it "Half Breed"...
Joe71885
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: My new Walkthrough 57 bus Reply with quote

I was going to do that just havent yet. I did notice that was missing, thanks for the name I didnt know that's what is was called.
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: My new Walkthrough 57 bus Reply with quote

Does it still have the rear engine hanger like a normal late bay?
Joe71885
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: My new Walkthrough 57 bus Reply with quote

Not familiar with the rear engine hanger. Here are some more photos
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: My new Walkthrough 57 bus Reply with quote

Seen here running under the the motor (towards the rear of the bus):

Last edited by srfndoc on Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: My new Walkthrough 57 bus Reply with quote

Actually that is the rear of the engine.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: My new Walkthrough 57 bus Reply with quote

Perhaps there was a typo on the title.

1975 VS 1957?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joe71885
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: My new Walkthrough 57 bus Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
Perhaps there was a typo on the title.

1975 VS 1957?

It's a 57 body on a late model chassis. I just found out from this forum.
Joe71885
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: My new Walkthrough 57 bus Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
Seen here running under the the motor (towards the rear of the bus):

You mean the mount?

Its red and you can see it in this picture behind the valve cover
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: My new Walkthrough 57 bus Reply with quote

A search for "Mustache Bar" of the gallery in the 1968-79 bus parts section:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php...t_dir=DESC
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Walkthrough 57 bus Reply with quote

Moved to Bay Window per the request of Joe71885
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Walkthrough 57 bus Reply with quote

Wow Joe, cool bus. Front beam is definitely bay. Not sure if late or early. I would have to see the booster and or steering box.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: My new Walkthrough 57 bus Reply with quote

wow.

looks pretty good for what it is, and reasonably well done considering.

engine temperature may be something to watch,, late bays with type 4 engines had large air intakes up high on the back of the bus. also the engine seal around its perimeter needs to be properly fitted, keeping the top half and bottom seperated air flow wise.

shift linkage will be an easy fix

the crankcase ventilation needs to get piped somewhere

nice of them to graft in the overhead engine hatch too, definite bonus.

looks like the front end could use some grease,

the fuel tank is from a fuel injected bus, as you can see one of the tappings plugged off, so that hints the chassis could be 1975 thru 1979. the later buses usually had a firewall between the fuel tank and engine compartment, not sure if it matters much.

id love to be able to look it over in person, must have been a pile of work to make that thing. even MORE pictures??

ps I'll buy your old transmission, i need a other 091
Joe71885
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: My new Walkthrough 57 bus Reply with quote

rustbus wrote:
wow.

looks pretty good for what it is, and reasonably well done considering.

engine temperature may be something to watch,, late bays with type 4 engines had large air intakes up high on the back of the bus. also the engine seal around its perimeter needs to be properly fitted, keeping the top half and bottom seperated air flow wise.

shift linkage will be an easy fix

the crankcase ventilation needs to get piped somewhere

nice of them to graft in the overhead engine hatch too, definite bonus.

looks like the front end could use some grease,

the fuel tank is from a fuel injected bus, as you can see one of the tappings plugged off, so that hints the chassis could be 1975 thru 1979. the later buses usually had a firewall between the fuel tank and engine compartment, not sure if it matters much.

id love to be able to look it over in person, must have been a pile of work to make that thing. even MORE pictures??

ps I'll buy your old transmission, i need a other 091

Yes I know, it's a work of art. I agree some major work has been put into this.

I have it the top and bottom sealed off but I need to take a look at something a little better to keep it separated. I have air coming from both sides but I was trying to come up with a different way to get more air.

My dad has a lathe at home with over 23 years experience as a mechanic and custom work, he is currently in the process of making me a shifter fix I found in the samba forum.

I was super happy about the overhead hatch and surprised when I saw it. After dealing with a bug all those years then seeing that put a huge smile on my face.

Where is the crankcase ventilation and where does it go?

The front end for some reason always needs grease hahahah.

I did notice that when I got underneath and took a note of the fuel injection and the return was plugged, I have hear FI can be really troublesome and hard to get working, so i was going to leave that alone for now. I was contemplating if i should put a firewall up but wasnt sure if it mattered anyways.

Where are you located? I have some more that I think I left out, i have been posting them as i can.

Sorry already sent mine back as a core and found that the ring and pinion had a tooth broken on it anyways.
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: My new Walkthrough 57 bus Reply with quote

ive got a similar hatch, so i know how nice it can be Smile

the breather is that black metal box with a plastic mushroom lookin deal on top and a like 3/4" nipple sticking out the right side. right in the center on top of the motor. usually is goes back into the intake of the air cleaner but since you got dual paper elements maybe you should consider a 'catch can' or somebody else smarter than i will make a suggestion.

fuel injection is awesome, but your carbs are probably fine. my FI worked instantly after I assembled it out of paets from non running busses. some people have issues but i didnt. everyone loves it. it would be a lot of work to install in your unit

unfortunately i am literally on the other side of the planet right now, and what I used to call home is still way north of new orleans, so ill just watch your pics.

theres some pretty sweet right hand drive vw beetles here in sri lanka tho Smile
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: My new Walkthrough 57 bus Reply with quote

Well, this is a cool bus. Looks pretty well done, too. Popcorn Popcorn
A bunch of vintage Japanese motorcycles
"Much ingenuity with a little money is vastly more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity." -A. Bennett
Joe71885
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: My new Walkthrough 57 bus Reply with quote

I agree, it was done very well. Best of both worlds in my opinion split body and undercarriage with all the perks. Companies are doing that for a fortune now, old bodies on newer components.
Joe71885
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: My new Walkthrough 57 bus Reply with quote

rustbus wrote:
ive got a similar hatch, so i know how nice it can be Smile

the breather is that black metal box with a plastic mushroom lookin deal on top and a like 3/4" nipple sticking out the right side. right in the center on top of the motor. usually is goes back into the intake of the air cleaner but since you got dual paper elements maybe you should consider a 'catch can' or somebody else smarter than i will make a suggestion.

fuel injection is awesome, but your carbs are probably fine. my FI worked instantly after I assembled it out of paets from non running busses. some people have issues but i didnt. everyone loves it. it would be a lot of work to install in your unit

unfortunately i am literally on the other side of the planet right now, and what I used to call home is still way north of new orleans, so ill just watch your pics.

theres some pretty sweet right hand drive vw beetles here in sri lanka tho Smile

If you are ever in the area hit me up. I would love a RHD bug, that would be so cool.

Heres a good pic of my dad and I putting in the d bolt after installing the new transmission.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: