Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ambulance step restore question
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Ambulance step restore question Reply with quote

I picked this up a while back and it was frozen up. I finally got the thing apart and can't figure out how the spring mechanism works. I thought there would be two big springs in the tube that the step slides into, but instead I found these two rods as no spring. Anyone know who this particular mechanism works?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance step restore question Reply with quote

Springs should be pushing those rods out to push the step outward.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance step restore question Reply with quote

I had to make new rods from some stainless steel rod and replace the springs. On my step, the spring slid over the rod; the rod end was crimped over one end of the spring. The spring/rod assembly was then lowered in the tube and the other end of the spring hooked through a slot at the end of the tube; that allows the spring to load when the step is pushed in.

My step was the earlier style w/o the dust covers on the tubes; yours looks like it might be a little different.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance step restore question Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
I had to make new rods from some stainless steel rod and replace the springs. On my step, the spring slid over the rod; the rod end was crimped over one end of the spring. The spring/rod assembly was then lowered in the tube and the other end of the spring hooked through a slot at the end of the tube; that allows the spring to load when the step is pushed in.

My step was the earlier style w/o the dust covers on the tubes; yours looks like it might be a little different.

Were you able to free up the foot pedal rod?

I had to cut the hell out of it, but I finally got the rod out, cleaned it up, welded the how mess back together and now that works.

The right rod is hung up on something in there and I can see it from the one open end.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance step restore question Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
StockNazi wrote:

I had to cut the hell out of it, but I finally got the rod out, cleaned it up, welded the how mess back together and now that works.

The right rod is hung up on something in there and I can see it from the one open end.
That's the only way I found to remove the pedal rod.

Check out the 63-67 Bently. There is some information/pics there. It says to unscrew the bushes from the end of the tube. and the rod/spring assembly pulls out. The rod you have loose might have broken loose inside.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance step restore question Reply with quote

I redid one recently, the springs are housed inside the tube beneath the bushes on the end the rod is protruding from. The bushes unscrew. I can post pics later if needed
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance step restore question Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
StockNazi wrote:

That's the only way I found to remove the pedal rod.

Check out the 63-67 Bently. There is some information/pics there. It says to unscrew the bushes from the end of the tube. and the rod/spring assembly pulls out. The rod you have loose might have broken loose inside.

I saw that Bentley bit, wasn't sure what they were referring to as the "bushes" so I guess that the rods?
Maybe I'll just simplify things and get some big springs and stick them on the tubes to push the step out I feel that rod ha indeed broken off. The ones you made were they threaded at the end??

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance step restore question Reply with quote

The bushes are the threaded end cap that the rod is exiting in your picture. The bushes thread into the end of the tubing
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance step restore question Reply with quote

Hopefully this helps
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance step restore question Reply with quote

Ultramoron wrote:

Hopefully this helps

Perfect! TOtally makes sense now, mine is so rusted and cruddy I couldn't tell there was a threaded fitting on there.
Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance step restore question Reply with quote

Here are some pics of the earlier style step rods; original on top.

End of step tube; hard to see with all the old grease, but there is a small rod welded inside the tube that the spring hooks to. This style step has no bushes that screw into the tube.

Thomas Jefferson
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Ambulance step restore question Reply with quote

Revival time.....so I really enjoy taking on challenges....this step came with a project bus that I'm nearing the finish line on. Being an original M-coded ambulance side step bus, with it's original side step, it's time to take on the challenge to make it work. The challenging part....previous owner took it apart, leaving me the puzzle to figure out how to put it back together. Fortunately, thanks to the information above most of that is accomplished.

However, does the step lever rotate inside the tube to release the catch, which would then release the step to slide out?

Obviously the previous owner used the jaws of life, which leads me to believe that he could not get it to rotate.

So the question is does the step lever, turn inside the tube? Can/should that lever come out of the tube completely?

Active 23 Window Samba Collector/Restorer,since 1986
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Ambulance step restore question Reply with quote

I think there should be a hook in that hole that grabs the step itself to keep it from flying out.

Every time I see one of those damn steps I wish I would have kept mine. You got a good deal Lind, $40 if I remember right!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Ambulance step restore question Reply with quote

crofty wrote:

I think there should be a hook in that hole that grabs the step itself to keep it from flying out.

Every time I see one of those damn steps I wish I would have kept mine. You got a good deal Lind, $40 if I remember right!

Honestly they are a pain in the arse. Just like everything no one maintained the steps to function smoothly.

Yes this hook....the question is the tube that it bolts thru....is that tube supposed to turn freely....can it be removed?

Its interesting that the tubes that the step slides out from (base that bolt bolts to the bus) have zerks to grease the slides...this does not. I believe if this is suppose to turn freely then it should have had a zerks as well.

crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Ambulance step restore question Reply with quote

I found a pic of a NOS one in the gallery. I'd think that it would have to rotate in order to release the step itself.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Ambulance step restore question Reply with quote

The pedal is welded to a (solid?) rod that rotates in the fixed (outer) tube.
The pedal rod can be removed, if you remove the hook (and the rod isn’t frozen).

Last edited by easy e on Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance step restore question Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
I found a pic of a NOS one in the gallery. I'd think that it would have to rotate in order to release the step itself.

Well that answers that. Thanks for the heads up Crofty

Looks like I'll be breaking out the torch.

They really should have placed a zerk on that end of the tube

Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance step restore question Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
The pedal rod can be removed, if you remove the hook (and the rod isn’t frozen).

The hook was already removed by the previous owner.....he gave up on the step lever, after he crushed the tube trying to turn it or pull it out.

Sometimes I wonder if it's less expensive to find a replacement, then spend hours rehabbing.

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance step restore question Reply with quote

Douglas Denlinger wrote:
easy e wrote:

The hook was already removed by the previous owner.....he gave up on the step lever, after he crushed the tube trying to turn it or pull it out.

Sometimes I wonder if it's less expensive to find a replacement, then spend hours rehabbing.

It was a nightmare getting mine to sort of work, and it required a lot of heat, bashing, pounding, swearing and welding.
It is nice to have on my SO23 camper, though.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance step restore question Reply with quote

I could see coming to the conclusion:
Cut off the pedal / bar assembly from the step frame & remake w/new material.

It’d probably be faster & work out better in the long run.... especially if yours is already tweaked.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: