Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reupholster or purchase sets from BD
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcrum4421
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reupholster or purchase sets from BD Reply with quote

I’m needing to replace the material and/or upholstery on my seats in my 1970 camper. Looking for some advice on wether to buy material from BD and taking to a professional to have them covered. Or spending hundreds of dollars ($279. Per set) on the seat sets that BD offers. I’m also wanting to do back jump seat and bench/bed. Not opposed to purchasing material from other retailers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pantone149
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Reupholster or purchase sets from BD Reply with quote

Check out Sewfineproducts.com
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Reupholster or purchase sets from BD Reply with quote

There is a real skill to rebuilding seats and pulling on the upholstery. If you arent up to the task let a pro do it.

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Reupholster or purchase sets from BD Reply with quote

Premade seat upholstery from BD will be your cheapest option for the seats, but if you want everything to match, you'll probably have to buy material and have it made. The old coverings will come off pretty easy. no special skill to remove or install, but a steamer or hair dryer will work wonders to soften vinyl, if it's hard to stretch over your seats.

If you have stuff made, just bring your old covers and new material to a upholstery shop and they will make them for you. Seems like labor to sew my seats were $90 each for the fronts, $130 for the middle, and $180 for the back, but upholstery pricing is all over the map (and no indicator of quality), so check around.

Here's how I did my 78 transporter 78 Transporter Reupholstery
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Reupholster or purchase sets from BD Reply with quote

If you want the stock look with quality mustard vinyl try NLA.com. I bought a set from them and very happy with it. Front seats I ordered from Wolfsburg West. I put all the covers on myself and thought it was pretty easy.
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcrum4421
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Reupholster or purchase sets from BD Reply with quote

Thanks for your input and recommendations.

No luck with website NLA.com
Very little experience wth upholstery so I’ll definitely be taking the seats to a professional. I’m hoping can get them covered cheaper than buying premed from BD.
Like the availability on Sewfineproducts.

Thanks again
bigdaveb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Reupholster or purchase sets from BD Reply with quote

mcrum4421,

Here is the link for the mustard vinyl covers from NLAVW.com:

https://nlavw.com/128-westfalia-early-bay-vinyl-covers

These are snap-on covers, so no upholstery skills are required - you may just want to verify the condition of the foam and replace if necessary (I use my local UFO here in town). There should be some videos on Youtube that can show you some basics on seat cover installation; there really is not that much to it.

Sewfine has some very high quality products, but they do not carry some of the original vinyl patterns (if you are trying to match the factory installation).

Hope this helps.
Magion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Reupholster or purchase sets from BD Reply with quote

Sewfine x2
crownline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Reupholster or purchase sets from BD Reply with quote

Sewfine X3. I have seat covers from 10 years ago. And finally got a middle seat and they sent me samples so i could match the vinyl. Came out perfect. Do it once is best.

"It"s got some dings and dents and neither of us is going to SEMA."(Update, I went to SEMA in 2019 but the Bus stayed home)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-8446.png]Click to view image[/URL]
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Reupholster or purchase sets from BD Reply with quote

I haven't used Sewfine, but I did buy the TMI covers and Wolfsfburg West coconut noir seat pads. Although I managed to get the covers on, and they look OK, I don't think I would use this product again. Detailing was poor on the edges and corners, and the material itself is very supple, maybe too supple where you have to pierce it with the triangular tangs,as it tore and continued to tear more as it was used. I used some vinyl repair sealant to stop the tearing, but if I was to do it again, I was told that there was a night and day difference between Sewfine and TMI, so I think I would try Sewfine.
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Reupholster or purchase sets from BD Reply with quote

Tbob wrote:
I haven't used Sewfine, but I did buy the TMI covers and Wolfsfburg West coconut noir seat pads. Although I managed to get the covers on, and they look OK, I don't think I would use this product again. Detailing was poor on the edges and corners, and the material itself is very supple, maybe too supple where you have to pierce it with the triangular tangs,as it tore and continued to tear more as it was used. I used some vinyl repair sealant to stop the tearing, but if I was to do it again, I was told that there was a night and day difference between Sewfine and TMI, so I think I would try Sewfine.

Did you run wire into the areas that are "pierced"? I used some coat hangars at it worked pretty well.

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Reupholster or purchase sets from BD Reply with quote

Just finished these with BD hair pads and covers. Looks good, but have no advice for longevity.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Reupholster or purchase sets from BD Reply with quote

Yes, ran wire. I think that without it could have really been a problem. And my seats were of the basketweave design, as they were from an earlier Westy. Mine look pretty good, but I do wonder of the longevity.
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Reupholster or purchase sets from BD Reply with quote

Sewfine is so fine. A real class outfit and not that much more expensive.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Reupholster or purchase sets from BD Reply with quote

Thanks for correcting the NLAVW site. Here is their jump seat back cover next to the original seat bottom. The rear bench cover are a perfect match too. If you are going for the stock look, these are the ones to get in my opinion. I think the price for the whole set is pretty good too and shipping wasn’t bad at all. Easy to put one and most or the snaps fit to existing. Had to move a couple under the bench seat but was easy to do.
And these pictures actually suck but all I have handy.

1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: